Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change user in script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change user in script Post 302801185 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 1st of May 2013 02:09:10 PM
Old 05-01-2013
No just a habit, to try $USER if $LOGNAME is not present.
There might be shells or conditions where LOGNAME is not set...
Code:
man sh
     ${parameter:-word}      If parameter is set and is non-null,
                             substitute its value; otherwise sub-
                             stitute word.

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How would I telnet & change user password automatically in a script

I would like to create a script that logs into a list of several servers 50+ and changes my password all at once. Every 60 days we are required to login to each system and change our passwords or else they expire and our login account is deleted. I have an idea on how I could do this but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change user through shell script

hi, my problem is that i am calling a script from my perl program. the script checks wether a particular process is running or not if the process is not running then it should start the process. the problem here is that the front end logs into backend with a user which does not have the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raviraushanjha
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change user on remote machine and execute script!

Hi, I need to login into remote server and execute a shell script over there. As of now i am making use of ssh command ssh primUser@135.254.242.2 sh /poll.sh I am logging in as primUser but unless i change the user to root the script execution on the remote machine is not possible. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goutham4u
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change passwords for the same user on multiple servers

I am trying to write a script to change passwords for the same user on multiple servers. My environment runs purely ssh / scp not rsh / rcp and therefore coping using rcp is not an option. I have been playing with expect to perform tasks but think there must be a better way. Has anyone got... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stolz
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to user root without end the script

Hello there! I need help: I have this script: #!/bin/bash #chage to root user sudo su #Insert actual date echo -n "Ingrese fecha actual: " #Read the actual date read fecha #clean RAM memory sync ; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches ; swapoff -a && swapon -a #backup opennms... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbasystem
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to change a user password using script

Hi Experts, I had tried to executes this script to change the user password through script: No lines in buffer #!/bin/ksh cat /etc/passwd | grep -v userid >> /tmp/pass.tmp1 cat /etc/passwd | grep userid >> /tmp/pass.tmp2 PASS1=`cat /tmp/pass.tmp2 | cut -d ":" -f2` PASS2=`q2w3e4r5` sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indrajit_renu
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change user passwords using shell script

Hi, I want to change the password of unix users on a number of servers.My plan was to ssh to all the servers in a shell script and use the passwd command. I tried to do so but everytime i run it i get this error. ssh -x -n -l user1 host passwd Changing password for "user1" 3004-709 Error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poojabhat
3 Replies

9. Linux

script for password change for exiting user

Dear Forum, In our organization 100 user is existing. Now i want to change password for 100 user in linux server. Pls help to write script for changing password. Regads// Taifur (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: taifurakhand
3 Replies
SETUID(1)						      General Commands Manual							 SETUID(1)

NAME
setuid - run a command with a different uid. SYNOPSIS
setuid username|uid command [ args ] DESCRIPTION
Setuid changes user id, then executes the specified command. Unlike some versions of su(1), this program doesn't ever ask for a password when executed with effective uid=root. This program doesn't change the environment; it only changes the uid and then uses execvp() to find the command in the path, and execute it. (If the command is a script, execvp() passes the command name to /bin/sh for processing.) For example, setuid some_user $SHELL can be used to start a shell running as another user. Setuid is useful inside scripts that are being run by a setuid-root user -- such as a script invoked with super, so that the script can execute some commands using the uid of the original user, instead of root. This allows unsafe commands (such as editors and pagers) to be used in a non-root mode inside a super script. For example, an operator with permission to modify a certain protected_file could use a super command that simply does: cp protected_file temp_file setuid $ORIG_USER ${EDITOR:-/bin/vi} temp_file cp temp_file protected_file (Note: don't use this example directly. If the temp_file can somehow be replaced by another user, as might be the case if it's kept in a temporary directory, there will be a race condition in the time between editing the temporary file and copying it back to the protected file.) AUTHOR
Will Deich local SETUID(1)