Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Print mutliple patterns in a line using sed Post 302801051 by kedar_laveti on Wednesday 1st of May 2013 08:06:35 AM
Old 05-01-2013
Print mutliple patterns in a line using sed

Hi,

I am trying to print multiple patterns in a line using sed. But it is printing only the last occurance of a pattern.

If the line is
Quote:
<TRANSFORMATION TYPE ="Lookup Procedure" TYPE ="Stored proc">
the the output should be
Lookup Procedure|Stored proc

But the output I am getting is

Stored proc

The code I am using is

Code:
echo '<TRANSFORMATION TYPE ="Lookup Procedure" TYPE ="Stored proc">' | sed 's/.*TYPE ="\([^"]*\)"/\1/'

Plz help.

Thanks

Last edited by kedar_laveti; 05-01-2013 at 09:29 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match multiple patterns in a file and then print their respective next line

Dear all, I need to search multiple patterns and then I need to print their respective next lines. For an example, in the below table, I will look for 3 different patterns : 1) # ATC_Codes: 2) # Generic_Name: 3) # Drug_Target_1_Gene_Name: #BEGIN_DRUGCARD DB00001 # AHFS_Codes:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk print between different patterns the first occurrence

Thanks for the help yesterday. I have a little modification today, I am trying the following: i have a log file of a webbap which logs in the following pattern: 2011-08-14 21:10:04,535 blablabla ERROR Exception1 blablabla bla bla bla bla 2011-08-14... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppolianidis
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Sed/awk print between patterns the first occurrence

Guys, I am trying the following: i have a log file of a webbap which logs in the following pattern: 2011-08-14 21:10:04,535 blablabla ERROR blablabla bla bla bla bla 2011-08-14 21:10:04,535 blablabla ERROR blablabla bla bla bla ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppolianidis
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print the next line by searching with different patterns

Hi, I am having an '.xml' file with 'n' number of lines and also having another file with '.txt' format contains values which i want to search. Now I want to print the next line with the pattern which i am searching in '.xml' file. And the loop has to repeat for different patterns which... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejastrikez
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the next line by searching with different patterns in AIX server?

Hi, I am having an '.xml' file with 'n' number of lines and also having another file with '.txt' format contains values which i want to search. Now I want to print the next line with the pattern which i am searching in '.xml' file. And the loop has to repeat for different patterns which are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejastrikez
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print between 2 patterns only last occurence

Hi, I have a file, which contains the following log data. I am trying to print fromt he file the following data: I have tried using sed, but I am getting from the first pattern Thanks for your help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print line between two patterns when a certain pattern matched

Hello Friends, I need to print lines in between two string when a keyword existed in those lines (keywords like exception, error, failed, not started etc). for example, input: .. Begin Edr ab12 ac13 ad14 bc23 exception occured bd24 cd34 dd44 ee55 ff66 End Edr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matched patterns and print them with other patterns not the whole line

Hi, I am trying to extract some patterns from a line. The input file is space delimited and i could not use column to get value after "IN" or "OUT" patterns as there could be multiple white spaces before the next digits that i need to print in the output file . I need to print 3 patterns in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print line if two lines above it matches patterns.?

Hi, I could only find examples to print line before/after a match, but I'd need to print line after two separate lines matching. E.g.: From the below log entry, I would need to print out the 1234. This is from a huge log file, that has a lot of entries with "CLIENT" and "No" entries (+ other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print two matched patterns only from each line?

My input looks like this. # Lot Of CODE Before AppType_somethinglese=$(cat << EOF AppType_test1='test-tool/blatest-tool-ear' AppType_test2='test/blabla-ear' # Lot Of CODE After I want to print text betwen 1) _ and = and 2)/ and ' from each line and exclude lines with "EOF". Output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
2 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)