Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Maximum # of IVMs? + Question about vCPU Post 302800459 by bstring on Monday 29th of April 2013 08:39:12 PM
Old 04-29-2013
Maximum # of IVMs? + Question about vCPU

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the maximum number of 11.31 IVMs we can create on our system. We have an Integrity rx2660, and here is the hardware info:
Code:
CPU info:
  2 Intel(R) Itanium 2 9100 series processors (1.42 GHz, 12 MB)
          532 MT/s bus, CPU version A1
          4 logical processors (2 per socket)

Memory: 8171 MB (7.98 GB)

The administration guide lists the minimum memory for an HPUX 11.31 installation as 1.5gb, with 2gb recommended. Not taking into account vCPUs, we are limited to 3 IVMs with 2gb memory each, leaving 2gb for the host. Is this a safe assumption?

I am also unsure of how vCPUs work - It looks like I have two physical CPUs, 4 logical CPUs. Does 4 logical CPUs = 4 vCPUs? If so, then it sounds like I could create each IVM with 1 vCPU, again leaving us with a maximum of 3 IVMs + 1 CPU for the host.

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum files in a Directory

Does Solaris impose limits on : - the maximum number of files a directory can have, - total file size in a directory If there is such limits, how can I can check for each? Thanks...:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deaniyoer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum file size ????

Hi All, - block size of 512KB & every address requires 4 bits - The inode structure contains 10 direct pointers, 1 single indirect, 1 double indirect & 1 triple indirect pointer What could be the possible maximum file size for this system Any guess? I am unable to understand the question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Maximum value in a column

Hello, I am trying to get a script to work which will find the maximum value of the fourth column and assign that value to all rows where the first three columns match. For example: 1111 2222 AAAA 0.3 3333 4444 BBBB 0.7 1111 2222 AAAA 0.9 1111 2222 AAAA 0.5 3333 4444 BBBB 0.4 should... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysean
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

virtualization (VCPU count according to CPU)

We have purchased four intels xeon processors Intel® Xeon® Processor E7530 (12M Cache, 1.86 GHz, 5.86 GT/s Intel® QPI) with SPEC Code(s) SLBRJ As per the specification each cpu has 6 cores therefore we have 24 cores (considering 4 cpus). Now how would i calculate the number of vcpus that can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum inodes

Hi, Is there a restriction in the number of inodes a particular directory can have in Solaris. If so how can we determine that. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: @bhi
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute and maximum

I have a big file with 127 columns and 869 rows. What I am trying to do is to get the absolute value of all numbers in the file, and then get the maximum of each column. If this was for one column it wouldn't be a problem, I would use: awk '{ print ($1 >= 0) ? $1 : 0 - $1}' file > out1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum of a column

Hi, I have a file like this a 1 2 a 5 8 a 66 100 b 1 2 b 2 3 b 111 143 d 4 5 d 4 6 e 77 727 g 7 8 How can I extract the maximum of col3 respective to col1. I meant, the output will be a 100 b 143 d 6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the maximum of a value

0.01 0.6 0.39 0.4 0.3 0.3 1 0 0 0 0 1 I would like to print 2 if the maximum of a row is the first column I would like to print 1 if the maximum of a row is the second colum print 0 if it is the third. so in this case, 0.6 is the max of the first row so i would want to print 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Incorrect vCPU numbering

Hi All, Currently experiencing more-so a visual issue when typing psrinfo, mpstat commands, as the virtual processors start from 8-39, as below: # psrinfo -pv The physical processor has 32 virtual processors (8-39) UltraSPARC-T2 (chipid 0, clock 1165 MHz) Can't seem to find anything to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alx_mck
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to get the maximum of a value in two different ranges

Dear Unix gurus, I have sample data organised like this and containing 6 columns (with headers): label c2 c3 c4 c5 c6 where c2 to c6 are numeric values in columns c2 to 6. I am trying to create a simple output in a new file containing 3 columns: label max(c2 c3) max(c4 c5 c6) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksennin
4 Replies
TASKSET(1)							   User Commands							TASKSET(1)

NAME
taskset - set or retrieve a process's CPU affinity SYNOPSIS
taskset [options] mask command [argument...] taskset [options] -p [mask] pid DESCRIPTION
taskset is used to set or retrieve the CPU affinity of a running process given its pid, or to launch a new command with a given CPU affin- ity. CPU affinity is a scheduler property that "bonds" a process to a given set of CPUs on the system. The Linux scheduler will honor the given CPU affinity and the process will not run on any other CPUs. Note that the Linux scheduler also supports natural CPU affinity: the scheduler attempts to keep processes on the same CPU as long as practical for performance reasons. Therefore, forcing a specific CPU affinity is useful only in certain applications. The CPU affinity is represented as a bitmask, with the lowest order bit corresponding to the first logical CPU and the highest order bit corresponding to the last logical CPU. Not all CPUs may exist on a given system but a mask may specify more CPUs than are present. A retrieved mask will reflect only the bits that correspond to CPUs physically on the system. If an invalid mask is given (i.e., one that corresponds to no valid CPUs on the current system) an error is returned. The masks may be specified in hexadecimal (with or without a leading "0x"), or as a CPU list with the --cpu-list option. For example, 0x00000001 is processor #0, 0x00000003 is processors #0 and #1, 0xFFFFFFFF is processors #0 through #31, 32 is processors #1, #4, and #5, --cpu-list 0-2,6 is processors #0, #1, #2, and #6. When taskset returns, it is guaranteed that the given program has been scheduled to a legal CPU. OPTIONS
-a, --all-tasks Set or retrieve the CPU affinity of all the tasks (threads) for a given PID. -c, --cpu-list Interpret mask as numerical list of processors instead of a bitmask. Numbers are separated by commas and may include ranges. For example: 0,5,8-11. -p, --pid Operate on an existing PID and do not launch a new task. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. USAGE
The default behavior is to run a new command with a given affinity mask: taskset mask command [arguments] You can also retrieve the CPU affinity of an existing task: taskset -p pid Or set it: taskset -p mask pid PERMISSIONS
A user can change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to the same user. A user must possess CAP_SYS_NICE to change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to another user. A user can retrieve the affinity mask of any process. SEE ALSO
chrt(1), nice(1), renice(1), sched_getaffinity(2), sched_setaffinity(2) See sched(7) for a description of the Linux scheduling scheme. AUTHOR
Written by Robert M. Love. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Robert M. Love. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. AVAILABILITY
The taskset command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2014 TASKSET(1)