Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Locating files!
Operating Systems Solaris Locating files! Post 302800373 by verdepollo on Monday 29th of April 2013 03:30:56 PM
Old 04-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexex666
whats does 2>/dev/null do or mean?
It tells the shell to redirect all error messages (if any) into the void (/dev/null).
This User Gave Thanks to verdepollo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Locating files and directing ouput

I'm trying to locate all files that do not contain the string /usr but do contain the string csh within the file called /etc/passwd. Then I would like to direct this output to a file called pout. Does anyone one have suggestions on this one? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klannon
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating C source code

Hi, I'm trying to locate where on the filesystem I can find the source code for C standard libraries. The reason why is I'd like to look at the implementation of "'atoi"'. I've tried a brutal search of "grep -r "atoi" *" from root as root but the search took too long. I'm running redhat 7.3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chadwick0
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

locating the last file in the directory

i have few files in a directory.. i want to know , how to locate or display that last file in the directory which has the max date.. pls help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wip_vasikaran
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically locating a file

Hi, I have a requriement where in I need to install a s/w by executing the installable file through a script. The script currently contains the path of the installable file. I need to now update the script accordingly such tht it identifies the location of the installable file automatically and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoursdavinder
1 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Help with locating a file (to download)

debian_base_system.tar.bz2 is what I am looking for. Hello All; I am trying to learn Linux and have done some work, now I am installing Xen virtual machine But I need a .tar.bz2 file which is the base Operating System (for Ubuntu or Debian)* but I do not know where to download it from, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Matey
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in locating a word in huge files

hi i receive about 5000 files per day in my system. Each of them are like: cat ABC.april24.dat ABH00001990 01993 409009092 0909 INI iop 9033 AAB0000237893784 8430900 898383 AUS 34349089008 849843 9474822 AAA00003849893498098394 84834 348348439 -438939 IN AAA00004438493893849384... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating a hidden file

it seems one of my server's account was compromised. I caught a perl script running a hack/attack script: 20:23 /usr/bin/perl ./up **.**.**.** 0 120 I've disabled the user etc, but I cannot find the script "up" anywhere in the server. I tried using locate or find. any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaRiOsGR
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to locating Linux servers

All, Need an urgent help! , I have an simple text file that holding more than 500 IP Address, My requirement : bash script that will run from my central server , and will scan with nmap all the 500 ip address , for ssh port with . for example with the command : nmap -sT | grep '22.*open' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: James Stone
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating shell script files with the $PATH variable

I've created a test script, which is located in $HOME/bin. The script runs as expected with no issues. However, upon echo'ing the $path variable the location of my script is not located in any of the directories listed in $path. So my question is, how does shell know where the script is located... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrandonD
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Locating all the scripts which start with:#!

Hi, I need to find all the executable shell scripts under /home dirctory and its sub directories. I would like to print the path to the files , which include in the header of the file: #! (Actually its the first line of the file). I have tried : find . -name "*" -type f -exec sh -c ' ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoav
14 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)