Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Rebuilding a HMC
Operating Systems AIX Rebuilding a HMC Post 302800291 by hicksd8 on Monday 29th of April 2013 11:20:09 AM
Old 04-29-2013
Many Unix/Linux distros won't overwrite hard disk partitions from other O/S's especially if there is no free space left on the drive.

Basically, you need to blow the existing partition table away. I don't know any HMC 7315 utility that will do that (others on this forum may well do) but you could simply put the drive in a generic PC and either run a wipe utility (eg, killdisk, a free download) or a Windows install routine.

A wipe utility can be used to write all zeros to every sector of the drive.

Or, for example, boot from a WinXP CD and when the opportunity comes, delete any partition(s) present and switch off the system immediately afterwards. Do NOT create a partition to install XP onto.

Hope that helps.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rebuilding Kernel

Dear all, After succesful installation of UNIX SCO WARE 7.0, while booting the system it is displaying as follows: The kernel will be rebuilt to incorporate recent configaration changes Press Enter when ready OR Press Escape to Stop. While pressing Enter, message is coming again and again... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: konda
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rebuilding sun solaris kernel

How would I rebuild the sun solaris kernel to include my new Oracle paramters? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
3 Replies

3. AIX

Hmc

Well i am right now working on an IBM P550 risc server with an HMC connected.. The server has 2 logical partitions (Lpar). both lpar is having Aix 5.3 installed. Now I have a doubt.. is it possible to have Aix in one lpar and windows 2003 in another.. cheers Bala (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
4 Replies

4. AIX

Hmc

Hello everybody, had a question. Iam having a p650 box here, System Model: IBM,7038-6M2 Machine Serial Number: 1078DCC managed system - 1 which has 2 lpars on it i added memory to the box(made sure that memory added was in proper quads and was verified by a CE) after i rebooted the box, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
4 Replies

5. Linux

Modifying/Rebuilding non-source PRM?

I can't find a source rpm for a particular tool that I'm trying to modify. I can only get a hold of the noarch and tar.bz2. Can I modify either one of these and re-package them as a noarch.rpm? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eur0dad
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Rebuilding C++ Libraries to save Linux install (purely academic question)

The crisis is over. I am just doing postmortem on how we handled it. So this is just an exercise in academics. We have a mission critical system running on RED Hat Linux. It is a turnkey system "managed 100% by the vendor". I put this is quotes because we had an event last night that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
0 Replies

7. SCO

"Unexpected EOF within #IF, #ifdef or #ifndef" error when rebuilding / relinking SCO OpenServer 5

Hi, I am a new Unix Guru with very little experience but have the task of P2Ving an old HP Proliant ML370 G5 server to VMware ESX 4.1 or ESXi 5.5. System seems to boots fine but when trying to remove HP software, configure TCP/IP or a driver, I am receiving: -------- ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_Italian
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rebuilding computer tomorrow at work

I'm rebuilding my primary computer at work tomorrow. Currently, it has Windows 7. I would like to replace the main system with either Linux or Unix, although I would like to be able to run a fully operational Windows as a VM within that. Any recommendations on which Linux or Unix to go with? I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sean_
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rebuilding bash source

so i have many scripts that have to run when the bash source is installed as normal. however, some users have found a way to build bash from source and while doing so, they altered some default settings. my question is, what can i put in my script to check that the "flags.c" binary and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only nonempty, nonextended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the "primary" partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), sd(4), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)