Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a script requiring a pause for user input Post 302800283 by Corona688 on Monday 29th of April 2013 11:12:19 AM
Old 04-29-2013
You can prompt the user with echo or printf, and read text via read VARNAME

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating unique lists from user input

hi all, I'm trying to resolve a scenario where we prompt the user to enter 1 or more disk names. From there we would run a command on each disk which would give its location. This would allow us to create a list of disks at location A, a list of disks at location B,....etc... Any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annie
1 Replies

2. AIX

script for creating aix user

Hi Guys, I want to create user with a script: user name, user id, primary group, group set, home directory, initial program, password, user information, another user can SU to user. And all the rest is the default. Does anyone already have the script for this? Can you please share it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input for execution of script

Hi, I need to get the user input and execute a particular script based on the input provided. For E.g. When I execute the script say Test.sh it should prompt "For which country I need to execute the script? (US/India)" Based on the input as US or India from the user the execution of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoursdavinder
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Any Way to Get User Input Without Requiring Them to Hit the Enter Key?

I'm working on making a menu system on an HP-UX box with Bash on it. The old menu system presents the users with a standard text menu with numbers to make selections. I'm re-working the system and I would like to provide something more akin to iterative search in Emacs. I have a list of 28... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating oracle user and giving him grants using shell script

Hi , I want to write a shell script that can create oracle database user and grants permission to this user. Thanks & Regards, Deepak (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepakjha
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Input Shell Script

Hello I am trying to create a user input shell scipt. The objective is user should enter the circuit number and the input is saved in a log file. If the user does not enter anything then the question should prompt it until the circuit no. is entered. Can any one please correct the code below.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to take input from user or awk script?

Hi Jim, I have following script,i which i need to take dynamic value . script, nawk -v v1=grep"INT_EUR" $propertifilename | cut -d"=" -F2` -F'~' '{if (NF-1 !=v1) {print "Error in " $0 " at line number "NR" tilde count " N-1}}' $filename In the above script i want to use INT_EUR as a variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script interacts with user , based on user input it operates

i have a script which takes input from user, if user gives either Y/y then it should continue, else it should quit by displaying user cancelled. #!/bin/sh echo " Enter your choice to continue y/Y OR n/N to quit " read A if then echo " user requested to continue " ##some commands... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a new directory by getting input from user

Hi All, I am really new to Linux.I am trying to write a script for creating a new directory by getting input of folder name from the user.Please help me in this regard. #! /bin/bash echo "Enter name of dir":$filename mkdir -p $filename When executing this I am getting following error ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_1990
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Me. The script should not exit until the user gives an input.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and just a beginner in linux scripting. Just want to ask for help on this one. I am trying to create a script that will accept user input (year-month and user/s). I wanted to have the script to continue running, until the user inputs a DATE and name/s of user/s. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Helskadi
2 Replies
READPASSPHRASE(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 READPASSPHRASE(3)

NAME
readpassphrase -- get a passphrase from the user SYNOPSIS
#include <readpassphrase.h> char * readpassphrase(const char *prompt, char *buf, size_t bufsiz, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The readpassphrase() function displays a prompt to, and reads in a passphrase from, /dev/tty. If this file is inaccessible and the RPP_REQUIRE_TTY flag is not set, readpassphrase() displays the prompt on the standard error output and reads from the standard input. In this case it is generally not possible to turn off echo. Up to bufsiz - 1 characters (one is for the NUL) are read into the provided buffer buf. Any additional characters and the terminating new- line (or return) character are discarded. The readpassphrase() function takes the following optional flags: RPP_ECHO_OFF turn off echo (default behavior) RPP_ECHO_ON leave echo on RPP_REQUIRE_TTY fail if there is no tty RPP_FORCELOWER force input to lower case RPP_FORCEUPPER force input to upper case RPP_SEVENBIT strip the high bit from input The calling process should zero the passphrase as soon as possible to avoid leaving the cleartext passphrase visible in the process's address space. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, readpassphrase() returns a pointer to the null-terminated passphrase. If an error is encountered, the terminal state is restored and a NULL pointer is returned. FILES
/dev/tty EXAMPLES
The following code fragment will read a passphrase from /dev/tty into the buffer passbuf. char passbuf[1024]; ... if (readpassphrase("Response: ", passbuf, sizeof(passbuf), RPP_REQUIRE_TTY) == NULL) errx(1, "unable to read passphrase"); if (compare(transform(passbuf), epass) != 0) errx(1, "bad passphrase"); ... memset(passbuf, 0, sizeof(passbuf)); SIGNALS
The readpassphrase() function will catch the following signals: SIGINT SIGHUP SIGQUIT SIGTERM SIGTSTP SIGTTIN SIGTTOU When one of the above signals is intercepted, terminal echo will be restored if it had previously been turned off. If a signal handler was installed for the signal when readpassphrase() was called that handler is then executed. If no handler was previously installed for the sig- nal then the default action is taken as per sigaction(2). The SIGTSTP, SIGTTIN, and SIGTTOU signals (stop signal generated from keyboard or due to terminal I/O from a background process) are treated specially. When the process is resumed after it has been stopped, readpassphrase() will reprint the prompt and the user may then enter a passphrase. ERRORS
[EINTR] The readpassphrase() function was interrupted by a signal. [EINVAL] The bufsiz argument was zero. [EIO] The process is a member of a background process attempting to read from its controlling terminal, the process is ignoring or blocking the SIGTTIN signal or the process group is orphaned. [EMFILE] The process has already reached its limit for open file descriptors. [ENFILE] The system file table is full. [ENOTTY] There is no controlling terminal and the RPP_REQUIRE_TTY flag was specified. SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), getpass(3) STANDARDS
The readpassphrase() function is an extension and should not be used if portability is desired. HISTORY
The readpassphrase() function first appeared in OpenBSD 2.9. BSD
December 7, 2001 BSD