Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Returning multiple values in Shell Post 302800195 by vidyadhar85 on Monday 29th of April 2013 07:20:07 AM
Old 04-29-2013
Have you tried it as below?

Code:

function row
{
a=$1
b=$2
c=$(($a + $b))
d=$(($a * $b))
echo $a $b
}
row 2 3
echo "The value of c is $c"
echo "The value of d is $d"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning Values (shell Script)

I have an application on Informix 4GL, and I am invoking the shell script from the program, but I need to know if the shell script work fine or not, in order to continue the process. I know that we can use $? to get the final status but this is on unix command. How can I return a value from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jennifer01
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning values from child to parent shell

I need to send the status from child shell failure to parent shell. I would like to know how could we accomplish this. My parent.sh is as below: #!/bin/ksh set -x echo "I am in parent shell now..." child.sh ret_stat=$? echo "rest_stat=$ret_stat" echo "I am below parent shell end..." ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheepi
4 Replies

3. Solaris

awk/nawk returning decimal values?

Hi Running a specific nawk statement over a 17m lines files returns the following: /bin/nawk: not enough args in ..... input record number 1,25955e+06, file test.1 source line number 1 I'd like to report the line number (in bold above) in decimal not floating so that i can spot it out. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moutaye
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/nawk returning decimal values?

Hi Running a specific nawk statement over a 17m lines files returns the following: /bin/nawk: not enough args in ..... input record number 1,25955e+06, file test.1 source line number 1 I'd like to report the line number (in bold above) in decimal not floating so that i can spot it out. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moutaye
1 Replies

5. Programming

returning multiple values from a function in C

hi how can I return multiple values from a C function. I tried the following: #include <stdio.h> void foo(int id, char *first_name, char *last_name) { /* this is just an example to illustrate my problem... real code makes use of the "id" parameter. */ first_name = (char... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop returning more values

Hi All, Thanks all of you for the help you provide to me. Well, I have one more problem, where I am trying to pull file system information in the loop and display the filesystem percentege. I am using following code to achive this, nut it's giving the weired output. My file system is ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alok.behria
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

error in shell script while returning values-- urgent issue plz help.

Hi, I have initailized a varaible EBID as typeset Long EBID=0 i am calculating value of EBID using certian formula as below: (( CURR_EBID= ($BANDINDEX << 27) | ($CURR_FREQ << 16) | ($CURR_CELLID << 4) | $CURR_SECTOR_VALUE )) return $CURR_EBID The output is as below: + (( CURR_EBID=... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasanur
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output breaking when returning multiple values

I've been trying to write a command-line function to grab a website's MX records and their ip addresses. The code below works with domains that only have one MX record: function kmx { mx=`host -t MX $1 | awk '{ print $7 }'`; ip=`host $mx | sed '/IPv6/d;/handled/d' | awk '{ print $4 }'`; ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning and capturing multiple return values from a function

Hi I am pretty confused in returning and capturing multiple values i have defined a function which should return values "total, difference" i have used as #!/usr/bin/ksh calc() { total=$1+$2 echo "$total" diff=$2-$1 echo "$diff" } I have invoked this function as calc 5 8 Now i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

10. Programming

Perl subroutine returning different values in HPUX

HI , I am running a program on hpux in perl. I am encountering a strange issue where when i print a variable in the sub which is returning it , it prints a different value but when i call it and store value in a variable it gives a different o/p. the sub is sub CheckConfigFilePattern ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
4 Replies
FBSQL_FETCH_ARRAY(3)							 1						      FBSQL_FETCH_ARRAY(3)

fbsql_fetch_array - Fetch a result row as an associative array, a numeric array, or both

SYNOPSIS
array fbsql_fetch_array (resource $result, [int $result_type]) DESCRIPTION
fbsql_fetch_array(3) is a combination of fbsql_fetch_row(3) and fbsql_fetch_assoc(3). An important thing to note is that using fbsql_fetch_array(3) is NOT significantly slower than using fbsql_fetch_row(3), while it provides a significant added value. PARAMETERS
o $ result -A result identifier returned by fbsql_query(3) or fbsql_db_query(3). o $result_type - A constant and can take the following values: FBSQL_ASSOC, FBSQL_NUM, or FBSQL_BOTH. When using FBSQL_BOTH, in addition to storing the data in the numeric indices of the result array, it also stores the data in associative indices, using the field names as keys. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array that corresponds to the fetched row, or FALSE if there are no more rows. If two or more columns of the result have the same field names, the last column will take precedence. To access the other column(s) of the same name, you must the numeric index of the column or make an alias for the column. select t1.f1 as foo t2.f1 as bar from t1, t2 EXAMPLES
Example #1 fbsql_fetch_array(3) example <?php fbsql_connect($host, $user, $password); $result = fbsql_db_query("database", "select user_id, fullname from table"); while ($row = fbsql_fetch_array($result)) { echo "user_id: " . $row["user_id"] . "<br /> "; echo "user_id: " . $row[0] . "<br /> "; echo "fullname: " . $row["fullname"] . "<br /> "; echo "fullname: " . $row[1] . "<br /> "; } fbsql_free_result($result); ?> SEE ALSO
fbsql_fetch_row(3), fbsql_fetch_assoc(3), fbsql_fetch_object(3). PHP Documentation Group FBSQL_FETCH_ARRAY(3)