Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris "finger user1" pointing user1 and user2 as well why so? Post 302799249 by manalisharmabe on Friday 26th of April 2013 05:47:07 AM
Old 04-26-2013
"finger user1" pointing user1 and user2 as well why so?

Hello guys,

on Solaris 10 os, I have this problem,

When I finger one user it points to 2 user why so,

Code:
-bash-3.2$ finger machova
Login name: machovp                     In real life: raju Machova (LIB FinAcct User)
Directory: /users/cz/182/machovp        Shell: /usr/bin/ksh
Never logged in.
No unread mail
No Plan.
Login name: machova                     In real life: ram Machova (Liberec Production User)
Directory: /users/cz/182/machova        Shell: /usr/bin/ksh
Never logged in.
No unread mail
No Plan.

However their home directory is diferent.

Code:
-bash-3.2$ grep machova /etc/passwd
machova:x:4828:102:ram Machova (System1 Production User):/users/cz/182/machova:/usr/bin/ksh
-bash-3.2$ grep machovp /etc/passwd
machovp:x:3689:102:raju Machova (System2 FinAcct User):/users/cz/182/machovp:/usr/bin/ksh
-bash-3.2$ sudo ls -ltra /users/cz/182/machova

Will this cause any issue? first tell me,
I checked their respective home directories the owner and group owner are proper.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Manali.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is plan that comes when you use finger "usename" on solaris ?

Hai, In order to find out a user we can use finger "username" . The output of finger command has various details in the following manner : Login name: xyz In real life: xyz Directory: /home/xys Shell: /bin/ksh No unread mail No plan What is the plan... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajphaj
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

User1 runs User2 scripts and updates logs?Is it possible?

Guys I have an odd request in hand. User1 Group1,Group2 User2 Group2,Group1 As can be seen ,both users belong to each other's group as well. Now User1 is holding some scripts(in a folder) on which perms are: 750 ..meaning User2 can read and execute but the execution is never successful... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ak835
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Solaris

How can i prevent logging user1 from console?

Dear all, i have two users user1 and user2 i want force user1 to login first by user2 and then su - user1 i want to prevent logging user1 from console directly (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the use of "finger" command & how to use it to kill the online processes ?

Hi there, I am eager to know what exactly is the use of "finger" command & how to use it to kill the online processes ? :b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhijitpaul0212
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run "finger" command in an if statement?

I have been trying to run the finger command in a if statement but its giving me a bunch of errors. gidlistTemp="g274gG;g2759C;g28320;g2885G;g2A276;g23338;g2A5h5;g2A307" for i in $(echo $gidlistTemp| tr ';' ' \n') do tst=(finger $i | wc -l) if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajetangay
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)