Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirecting output for the entire script Post 302799013 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 25th of April 2013 03:31:56 PM
Old 04-25-2013
>> test.log 2>&1 to also redirect stderr.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting to standard output from within called script

Hi, How to achieve this? Let us assume the following: There are 2 scripts a.ksh and b.ksh $ cat a.ksh sh b.sh 2>&1 >> /work/log/a_log.txt $ cat b.sh echo "abcd" My requirement is, is there a way to display this abcd in standard output also alongside of writing into a_log.txt?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigneshra
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting OUTPUT

Hi, I want to move the output of a command/script to a file as well as to to be displayed on stdout. Can anybody help me in this. Thanks in advace .. -Chanakya M (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting SQL output from within a shell script

Hi all I would like to open a SQL session from within a shell script and then redirect the output of the SQL command to a file. e.g. #!/bin/bash sqlplus "/ as sysdba" <<EOF @$HOME/recovery_space.sql EOF I want to redirect the output of the SQL command to a temp file, because... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Read the entire output fired by ps command

Actually I want to display the entire output fired by ps command. My output gets trucated after 80 chars. Thus, i am not able to see the entire command running when i give a ps -eaf .... Does anyone know how do i display the entire output fired by ps command .. (i.e the command along with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinithepoo
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting the script output to more than 1 file

Hi, I want to redirect my script output to more than one file without printing the result to the screen. How to do that? ex: echo "hi" >> a.txt b.txt cat a.txt hi b.txt :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read entire output from a file?

Hello- I am trying to view a file which is quite large. However, whenever I do 'cat (file name)' it shows me just the half.. I am using Putty to access my server. Also, is it possible to edit a file from a unix system on a 'Gedit for Windows" text editor? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting script output

Hello, I am interested in taking the output from a script i wrote and using it as input to a different script i wrote. So for example i want to take the output from program2 and use it as a parameter for program1. I didnt think i could use the >> symbols because i think that is just for .txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GmGeubt
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting script output to terminal

When ever i started my terminal,Every time I have to change the directory like "cd user/documents/ravi/folder2/folder3" Without typing this entire command every time ,I placed "alias c='cd user/documents/ravi/folder2/folder3'" in .bash_profile file. so that i can able to execute command 'c'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raviteja saddal
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting command output to a file in a shell script

Hello All, I have some unique requirement. I have written a very lengthy script which calls number of resource script to execute a particular task. What I want is output of each command(called from main script and resource scripts) should go to a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting the output

For example, if we run the below command, symcfg list -thin -pool , results in an output most of the times and if the out is generated i'm able to redirect the output to a file. but sometimes it doesnt result any output and even though the output is being redirected, i can see "No Thin Pools "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: web2moha
2 Replies
DtMsgLogOpenFile(library call)											    DtMsgLogOpenFile(library call)

NAME
DtMsgLogOpenFile -- opens a log file SYNOPSIS
#include <Dt/MsgLog.h> FILE* DtMsgLogOpenFile( const char* type, char** filename_return); DESCRIPTION
The DtMsgLogOpenFile function calls fopen to open a log file with type open mode. If fopen opens a log file successfully and returns a non- NULL filename_return, DtMsgLogOpenFile calls malloc to allocate space for filename_return. DtMsgLogOpenFile then copies the log file name to filename_return. The caller must use the free function to release the space allocated for filename_return, if it is not NULL. The caller must also close the file pointer returned by DtMsgLogOpenFile. Use caution in doing this because stderr may be returned. For a description of the algorithm used to determine the log file to open, see DtMsgLogMessage(3). Note that if a log file cannot be opened, filename_return will be set to NULL. ARGUMENTS
type Specifies the file open flag. See fopen(3) for more information. filename_return Specifies the variable to receive the returned log file name. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
None. RESOURCES
None. ACTIONS
/MESSAGES None. ERRORS
/WARNINGS None. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment opens the log file, logs the log file name, closes the file, and frees the space allocated for the file name. char * log_file; FILE * fp = DtMsgLogOpenFile ("a+", &log_file); if (log_file) { DtMsgLogMessage (argv[0], DtMsgLogInformation, "The log file name is: %s", log_file); free (log_file); } if (fp && fp != stderr) fclose (fp); RETURN VALUE
If DtMsgLogMessage completes successfully, it returns a pointer to the opened log file. If it cannot open a log file, it returns stderr. FILES
None. SEE ALSO
DtMsgLogMessage(3), DtMsgLogSetHandler(3) DtMsgLogOpenFile(library call)