Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris "Permission denied" when changing IP netmask Post 302798447 by DukeNuke2 on Wednesday 24th of April 2013 12:31:12 PM
Old 04-24-2013
and you try this as root user?
This User Gave Thanks to DukeNuke2 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

screen throws "permission denied"

Hi all, i've got problem in running a script in background... i have written a script, and i want to run it everytime i log in, but when i log off i want the script to stay (i watch not to run two scripts at one time in the script). so as a normal user i want to do: $ screen my_script & ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: miechu
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

permission denied for ". " (dot space)

Hi, When I try to run a script with ". "(dot space) in my home, it gives me error ".: Permission denied". Any explanation for this behaviour? Thanks in advance, -Ashish (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing password with sudo user " permission denied"

HI All, I am using solaris i created a user adam and updated his permissions in vi sudoers file as follows adam ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWORD: ALL ........... when i create user by logging as sudo user . $ sudo useradd -d /home/kalyan -m -s /bin/sh kalyan sudo: not found ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

EACCES "Permission denied" while open(2)

guest@ulidtko:~$ id uid=126(guest) gid=134(guest) groups=134(guest) guest@ulidtko:~$ ls -ld /home drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 May 12 19:47 /home guest@ulidtko:~$ ls -l /home ls: cannot open directory /home: Permission denied guest@ulidtko:~$ cat /proc/mounts rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
4 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

"Permission Denied" while modifying mounted files on MAC

Hi, I have two machines 1. MacOSx (Users --> userMac , IP - a.b.c.d) 2. FreeBSD (Users --> userBSD, IP- p.q.r.s) I want to modify some files of FreeBSD on my MacOS. So, I mounted the FreeBSD folder on my Mac as follows. $ sudo mount -o -P p.q.r.s:/usr/home/user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash.mahakode
5 Replies

6. Solaris

BSM auditing issues, need to audit "permission denied"

Let me preface with I am semi-new to Solaris. I work with it in the labs at work and that's about my extent (although I run Linux at home). Well, a week ago security comes around with updated requirements, some of which are the need to audit all failures. For the life of me I cannot get a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph275
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

+ + in .rhosts is causing a "Permission Denied"

I have a user who has "+ +" at the top of his .rhosts file. He cannot "rsh NODE date" to a different box ( both are RHEL 5.4 ). If I remove the "+ +" then the "RSH" works. I have correct settings of node names/user in the .rhosts file. I even tried adding to the second box's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rom828
3 Replies

8. Linux

Showing "permission denied" when trying to login in - Montavista Linux

Hello friends, I have scratched my system and after that when I am trying to access the console via root login it's failing with an error message of "permission denied". I am able to access the other login, I am having only problem with root and some other user login. I am using an telnet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanoop
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Showing "permission denied" when trying to login in - Montavista Linux

Hello friends, I have scratched my system and after that when I am trying to access the console via root login it's failing with an error message of "permission denied". I am able to access the other login, I am having only problem with root and some other user login. I am using an telnet... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanoop
7 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

"Permission denied" when trying to SSH my iPhone though password is correct

Hi, I hope this is the correct section in the forum to post as I'm trying to SSH from my MacBook. I was looking to see whether ssh on my jailbroken iPhone 6s (10.3.1) still works fine and was following this old reddit guide. I installed OpenSSH&OpenSSL from Cydia and changed the password using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hss1
7 Replies
SETUID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SETUID(2)

NAME
setuid - set user identity SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int setuid(uid_t uid); DESCRIPTION
setuid() sets the effective user ID of the calling process. If the effective UID of the caller is root, the real UID and saved set-user-ID are also set. Under Linux, setuid() is implemented like the POSIX version with the _POSIX_SAVED_IDS feature. This allows a set-user-ID (other than root) program to drop all of its user privileges, do some un-privileged work, and then reengage the original effective user ID in a secure man- ner. If the user is root or the program is set-user-ID-root, special care must be taken. The setuid() function checks the effective user ID of the caller and if it is the superuser, all process-related user ID's are set to uid. After this has occurred, it is impossible for the program to regain root privileges. Thus, a set-user-ID-root program wishing to temporarily drop root privileges, assume the identity of an unprivileged user, and then regain root privileges afterwards cannot use setuid(). You can accomplish this with seteuid(2). RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EAGAIN The uid does not match the current uid and uid brings process over its RLIMIT_NPROC resource limit. EPERM The user is not privileged (Linux: does not have the CAP_SETUID capability) and uid does not match the real UID or saved set-user-ID of the calling process. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, POSIX.1-2001. Not quite compatible with the 4.4BSD call, which sets all of the real, saved, and effective user IDs. NOTES
Linux Notes Linux has the concept of file system user ID, normally equal to the effective user ID. The setuid() call also sets the file system user ID of the calling process. See setfsuid(2). If uid is different from the old effective uid, the process will be forbidden from leaving core dumps. SEE ALSO
getuid(2), seteuid(2), setfsuid(2), setreuid(2), capabilities(7), credentials(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-02-21 SETUID(2)