Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Matching string
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Matching string Post 302798387 by abdul.irfan2 on Wednesday 24th of April 2013 11:04:35 AM
Old 04-24-2013
Matching string

Hello all,

i am trying to match a string and based on that proceed with my script or error out...
i have a file called /tmp/sta.log that will be populated by oracle's spooling..it can
have a output of either 2 of the below (OPEN or errors/ORACLE not avaiable)

Code:
$ cat /tmp/sta.log
OPEN
$
$ cat /tmp/sta.log
select status from v$instance
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
Process ID: 0
Session ID: 0 Serial number: 0

now when i try to check for a condition(test) of open i get database up for both ??

FIRST TEST WITH db_sta.log having ERRORS

Code:
$ DB_STATUS=`cat /tmp/sta.log|grep OPEN`
$ echo $DB_STATUS

$ if test "$DB_STATUS"=OPEN; then
> echo "Database is up"
> else
> echo "Database is Down"
> fi
Database is up
$

next test with db_sta.log having OPEN in it

Code:
$ DB_STATUS=`cat /tmp/sta.log|grep OPEN`
$ echo $DB_STATUS
OPEN
$ if test "$DB_STATUS"=OPEN; then
> echo "Database is up"
> else
> echo "Database is Down"
> fi
Database is up
$

what am i doing wrong here ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching alphanumeric string

how to match an alphanumeric string like the following. i have to do like the following. if the input line is the data is {clock_91b} i have to replace that with the string was ("clock_91b") i tried like $line =~ s/the data is\s+\{(+)\}/the string was \(\"$1\"\)/ which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

String matching

for a certain directory, I want to grep a particular file called ABCD so what I do is ls /my/dir | grep -i "ABCD" | awk '{print $9}' however, there is also this file called ABCDEFG, the above command would reurn both file when I only want ABCD, please help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

string matching in perl

Hi, I have to search for a string in a variable. Say the variable is var1='ERROR: Make java] as enabled' here i want to match which are in red color. other like abc etc could change. Can you tell me the exact command something like the below in perl if ($var1=~ m/ERROR: Make... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Matching string

Hello, i have a program where i have to get a character from the user and check it against the word i have and then replace the character in a blank at the same position it is in the word. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehaquick
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching a string

I have a requirement of shell script where i need to read the File name i.e ls -t | head -1 and Match that Filename with some delimited values which are in a separate File. For Example i am reading the File name i.e (ls -t | head -1) after that i need to read one more sequential file which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching 2 items in a string

Little lost here, I am trying to search a line for both values after the $ signs. My ultimate goal is to get percertage. <?php $string = "Something on sale for $4 and orginal price $10"; $strstr =. strstr($string, '$'); $strrchr =. strrchr($string, '$'); echo "$strstr<br>"; echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String matching

I have a string like ab or abc of whatever length. But i want to know whether another string ( for example, abcfghijkl, OR a<space> bcfghijkl ab<space> cfghijkl OR a<space>bcfghijkl OR ab<space> c<space> fghijkl ) starts with ab or abc... space might existing on the longer string... If so, i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching string from input to string of file

Hi, i want to know how to compare string of file with input string im trying following code: file_no=`paste -s -d "||||\n" a.txt | cut -c 1` #it will return collection number from file echo "enter number" read " curr_no" if ; then echo " current number already present" fi ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_smith
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String matching using awk

Hello, I am working with google ngram data set which is of size 100s of gb. Before using it with Java, I wanted to filter it out using shell script. Here is a sample line in the file: 2.55 1.57 1992 10 20 30 The first two fields (2.55 and 1.57) are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
3 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)