Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Summing columns over group of lines Post 302798367 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 24th of April 2013 10:26:36 AM
Old 04-24-2013
The following awk script is a little more complex than you requested. It allows processing of multiple input files, prints an end of file separator if more than one input file is given, and prints a warning if there are lines left at the end of a file that don't make up a complete 4 line set.

Since you said all values in a 4 line set are constant in fields 1 and 3, I used the values in the last line of the set instead of in the 1st line of the set (it saved me from needing to create two more variables). If you really need the 1st line's values instead of the last line's values, it won't be hard to change this script to do that.

As always, if you're using a Solaris/SunOS system, use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk, /usr/xpg6/bin/awk, or nawk instead of awk.
Code:
awk '
FNR == 1 {
        # Check for incomplete set at end of previous file.
        if(l) {
                printf("%d line(s) skipped at end of %s.\n", l, file)
                for(i = 5; i <= n; i++) s[i] = 0
        }
        # Print file trailer if more than 1 file has been seen.
        if(nf++) printf("================== End of data from file %s\n", file)
        # Process headers: Print output headers, determine field count.
        printf("%s %s ", $1, $3)
        for(i = 5; i <= NF; i++) printf("%s%s", $i, i == NF ? "\n" : " ")
        n = NF          # set number of fields for this file
        l = 0           # set number of lines in current set
        file = FILENAME # save filename for diagnostics
        next
}
{       for(i = 5; i <= n; i++) s[i] += $i}
++l == 4 {
        l = 0
        printf("%d %d ", $1, $3)
        for(i = 5; i <= NF; i++) {
                printf("%6.4f%s", s[i], i == NF ? "\n" : " ")
                s[i] = 0
        }
}
END {   if(l) printf("%d line(s) skipped at end of %s.\n", l, file)
        if(nf > 1) printf("================== End of data from file %s\n", file)
}' input

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing the columns of a file

Hi All, I have a file like - num.txt 12, 34, 65, line1 34, 65, 89, line2 43, 65, 77, line3 I want to do two things - 1. Add first three columns of each line and print the line with largest value. i.e. (12+34+65) for 1st line and so on. 2. Add middle column of each line i.e.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asahlot
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Summing values with group criteria

Hi Guys, I have a text file with ";" like separator F1;F2;F3;F4;F5 444;100041;IT;GLOB;1800000000 444;100041;TM;GLOB;1000000000 444;10300264;IT;GLOB;2000000000 444;10300264;IT;GLOB;2500000000 I have to sum the cullums F5 for same F2 and F3 collums The result must be: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gianluca2
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing values in columns

Basically I have to process a text file which has been sorted this way: John 12 John 13 John 10 John 900 Peter 20 Peter 30 Peter 32 The first column is a name, and the second an arbitrary value, both delimited by a space. How can I sum them up such that it would become: John 935... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dwee
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example ###start of input text file #### abc def ghi 1 2 3 4 kjld random... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. It is slightly different from my previous question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers (but no more than 10 numbers in series) whenever i find it and produce an output file with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
4 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

HELP with Unix scripts in summing columns in a file.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi guys, i'm a new guy here, and it's my first time creating a unix script. can you guys help me out here? i'd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramneim
3 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

HELP with Unix scripts in summing columns in a file

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi guys, i'm a new guy here, and it's my first time creating a unix script. can you guys help me out here? i'd really appreciate it. :( Here's my problem: This is the file i'm using, it has 6 columns, the first three columns are... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramneim
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help!!!! Awk for summing columns based on selected column value

a,b,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z,aa,bb,cc,dd,ee,ff,gg,hh,ii a thru ii are digits and strings.... The awk needed....if coloumn 9 == i (coloumn 9 is string ), output the sum of x's(coloumn 22 ) in all records and sum of y's (coloumn 23 ) in all records in a file (records.txt).... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrownBob
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing columns in line

I have a file with the following format AAAAA 1.34B 0.76B 0.00B 0.00B 0.00B 0.00B 0.00B 0.00B 0.00B 0.00B 0.00B 0.00B 0.00B 0.00B 0.90B 0.00B 0.00B 0.46B 0.00B 0.03B 0.00B ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing per group in a loop

I want to sum and average all other columns by first column GR1 1 4 7 GR1 2 5 8 GR1 3 6 9 GR2 11 14 17 GR2 13 16 19 GR3 1 3 5 GR3 2 4 6 For a limited number of columns I can do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianp83
2 Replies
TEXT2PS(L)																TEXT2PS(L)

NAME
text2ps - convert text files to PostScript SYNOPSIS
text2ps [ options ] [ files ] DESCRIPTION
Text2ps reads the input files (standard input if none are specified) and produces PostScript code which, when fed to a PostScript printer, will print the files. With text2ps it is possible to select any font, point size and number of columns. Options and files can be inter- mixed on the command line. Options are effective for all following files until they are overridden. Options Here follows a list of options that text2ps recognizes. Most numeric arguments are significant to one decimal place. Options are evalu- ated from left to right. Later options override earlier ones. -# n Print n copies of each page. (Default 1.) -c n Print in n columns. (Default 1.) -f font Print using font font. (Default Courier.) -p n Print with point size n. (Default 9.) -v n Use a vertical spacing of n points. If the vertical spacing is set to 0, the spacing will be 1.2 times the point size. (Default 0.) -l n Print n lines per column. When the line count is 0, print as many lines as will fit. (Default 0.) -r [p|l] Set the orientation to either portrait mode (p) or landscape mode (l). (Default p.) -b [+|-] Set page break mode. An argument + will force new files to be always printed on a new page (this is the default). After - new files will be put on the same page if there are still empty columns and the number of columns, the orientation or the number of copies didn't change. New files always start new columns. (Default -.) -mt n The top margin is n points. (Default 63.) -mb n The bottom margin is n points. (Default 63.) -ml n The left margin is n points. (Default 59.) -mr n The right margin is n points. (Default 59.) -mg n The inter-column gap is n points. (Default 25.) -t [+|-] If the argument is + the name of the file being printed will be printed on each page. If the argument is - the file name will not be printed. -t + implies -b +. -T text Print text as title on each page. This implies -t - and -b +. This option can be switched off by specifying -t - or -t +. (Default no title.) -F font Set the title font to font. (Default Helvetica.) -P n Set the title point size to n. (Default 12.) -B n Draw borders around each page. The number n specifies how to draw borders. N can have any of the following values or-ed in: 1 Draw a line along the left of the page. 2 Draw a line along the bottom of the page. 4 Draw a line along the right of the page. 8 Draw a line along the top of the page. 16 Draw a line between columns. This line does not connect to the lines along the top or bottom. 32 Draw a connecting line between the line between columns and the line along the top. 64 Draw a connecting line between the line between columns and the line along the bottom. When n is 0, no border lines are drawn. (Default no bordering lines.) -w n Tab stops are set every n spaces. Set the width of the TAB character. (Default 8.) -1 Sets up options to print in one column in portrait mode with the Courier font, so that you get 66 lines on a page. Equivalent to specifying the options -c 1 -f Courier -p 9 -v 0 -r p -l 0 -mt 63 -mb 63 -ml 59 -mr 59. This is the default. -2 Sets up options to print in two columns in landscape mode with the Courier font, so that you get two 66-line columns on a page. Equivalent to specifying the options -c 2 -f Courier -p 6 -v 0 -r l -l 0 -mt 63 -mb 63 -ml 59 -mr 59 -mg 25. Together with the -1 option, this is probably the most useful option. The name - means standard input. BUGS
Too many options. There is no way to specify where the title will be placed. If the font being used is not a constant width font and there are other characters than just tabs and spaces in front of a tab, the next character may not align properly. TEXT2PS(L)