Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Loop to Convert a list from an input file and output it to another file Post 302798107 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 23rd of April 2013 08:41:16 PM
Old 04-23-2013
What shell are you using? What operating system are you using?

Does your shell provide a way to get the number of characters in the value of a variable?

If you have the number of characters in the value of a variable and the number characters in the field in which that value is to be centered, can you determine how many spaces and/or tabs need to be displayed before that value to center it in the first column?

If you have the number of characters in the value of the variable to be displayed in the 1st column and the number of characters in the value to be displayed in the 2nd column and the width of the 2nd column heading and the number of spaces between the 1st and 2nd column headings, can you figure out how many spaces and/or tabs need to be displayed between the two values to make the 2nd value appear in the center of the 2nd column?

Is the printf utility one of the utilities you're allowed to use for this assignment? If so, do you know how to specify the width of a string to be printed as a decimal value in the printf format string operand?

PS Please use CODE tags when showing us input and output as well as for shell code that you provide.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 04-23-2013 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Add plea for CODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Script to convert input file(s) to output file

Hi All, I am hoping someone can help me with some scripting I need to complete using AWK. I'm trying to process multiple fixed files to generate one concatenated fixed file in a standard format. The Input file is:- aaaa bbbbb ccccc 1 xxxx aaa bbb aaaa bbbbb ccccc 2 abcd aaa CCC... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason_v_brown
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

split input data file and put into same output file

Hi All, I have two input file and need to generate a CSV file. The existing report just "GREP" the records with the Header and Tailer records with the count of records. Now i need to split the data into 25 records each in the same CSV file. id_file (Input file ) 227050994 232510151... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rasmith
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

12. If an ‘88’ Record with BAI Code ‘902’ was found on input file and not written to Output file, re

This is my input file like this 03,105581,,015,+00000416418,,,901,+00000000148,,,922,+00000000354,,/ 49,+00000000000416920,00002/ 03,5313236,,015,+00231036992,,,045,+00231036992,,,901,+00000048428,,/ 88,100,+0000000000000,0000000,,400,+0000000000000,0000000,/ 88,902,+0000000079077,,/... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgoud
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read each line from input file, assign variables, and echo to output file?

I've got a file that looks like this (spaces before first entries intentional): 12345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 22345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 32345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN I want to read through the file line by line,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to reformat output if input file is empty, but not if file has data in it

The below awk improved bu @MadeInGermany, works great as long as the input file has data in it in the below format: input chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 631 18 chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 632 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use while loop to read file and use ${file} for both filename input into awk and as string to print

I have files named with different prefixes. From each I want to extract the first line containing a specific string, and then print that line along with the prefix. I've tried to do this with a while loop, but instead of printing the prefix I print the first line of the file twice. Files:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need list of input and output parameter of task in a text file, using shell script

//file begin ===== //some code task abcd_; input x; input y,z; //some comment output w; //some comment reg p; integer q; begin //some code end endtask : abcd_ //some code //file end ===== expected output from above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rishifrnds
1 Replies

10. Programming

creating separate output file for each input file in python

Experts, Need your help for this. Please support My motive is to create seperate output file for each Input Files(File 1 and File2) in another folder say(/tmp/finaloutput) Input files File 1(1.1.1.1.csv) a,b,c 43,17104773,3 45,17104234,4 File 2(2.2.2.2.csv) a,b,c 43,17104773,1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
2 Replies
wc(1)							      General Commands Manual							     wc(1)

NAME
wc - count words, lines, and bytes or characters in a file SYNOPSIS
[file]... DESCRIPTION
The command counts lines, words, and bytes or characters in the named files, or in the standard input if no file names are specified. It also keeps a total count for all named files. A word is a string of characters delimited by spaces, tabs, or newlines. Options recognizes the following options: Report the number of bytes in each input file. Report the number of newline characters in each input file. Report the number of characters in each input file. Report the number of words in each input file. The and options are mutually exclusive. Otherwise, the and or options can be used in any combination to specify that a subset of lines, words, and bytes or characters are to be reported. When any option is specified, reports only the information requested. If no option is specified, the default output is When a file is specified on the command line, its name is printed along with the counts. Standard Output By default, the standard output contains an entry for each input file in the form: newlines words bytes file If the option is specified, the number of characters replaces the bytes field in this format. If any option is specified, the fields for the unspecified options are omitted. If no file operand is specified, neither the file name nor the preceding blank character is written. If more than one file operand is specified, an additional line is written at the end of the output, of the same format as the other lines, except that the word (in the POSIX locale) is written instead of a file name and the total of each column is written as appropriate. Under UNIX Standard environment, a word is a string of characters delimited by spaces, tabs, newline, carriage-return, vertical tab, or form-feed. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
For information about the UNIX Standard environment, see standards(5). Environment Variables determines the range of graphics and space characters, and the interpretation of text as single- and/or multibyte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is null, they default to the value of If is not specified or is null, it defaults to (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, they all default to See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multibyte character code sets are supported. with a newline character, the count will be off by one. WARNINGS
The command counts the number of newlines to determine the line count. If a text file has a final line that is not terminated with a new- line character, the count will be off by one. EXAMPLES
Print the number of words and characters in The following is printed when the above command is executed: where words is the number of words and chars is the number of characters in SEE ALSO
standards(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
wc(1)