Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Joining
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Joining Post 302797955 by Lucky Ali on Tuesday 23rd of April 2013 12:52:39 PM
Old 04-23-2013
Joining

I do have many files of the following format.

File_1.txt
Code:
1 24
2 25
3 27
4 28
5 29
6 1

File_2.txt
Code:
2 5
3 8
4 9
5 10

File_3.txt
Code:
3 7
4 8
5 9

I wanted to merge all these files based on the first column like this:
Code:
1 24 0 0
2 25 5 0
3 27 8 7
4 28 9 8
5 29 10 9
6 1 0 0

Basically merge it based on the first column and add 0's at the missing positions.
I tried:
Code:
awk  '{i=$1;sub(i,x);A[i]=A[i]$0} FILENAME==ARGV[ARGC-1]{print i A[i]}' File_1.txt File_2.txt File_3.txt

But the missing values are ignored and no 0's were added.

Let me know the best way to do this using awk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

joining 2 files

Hi, I have two files that I need to find difference between. Do I use diff or join? If join, how do I use it? thanks, webtekie (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: webtekie
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with joining two files

Greetings, all. I've got a project that requires I join two data files together, then do some processing and output. Everything must be done in a shell script, using standard unix tools. The files look like the following: File_1 Layout: Acct#,Subacct#,Descrip Sample: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjlohman
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining Variables

Hi Everyone, Thanks in advance for what is hopefully a simple thing. Big picture I am trying to bind computers to AD using their existing name but add a suffix. Here is the part I am having trouble with: computername=`/usr/sbin/scutil --get LocalHostName` suffix=suffix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcc186
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining of Commands.

Hello, i have a few questions which i hope you guys can address. the 1st prob: The database i am using is a text file which displays the information like this : Title : Quantity : Price Persia : 30 : 20 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help joining lines

Hi All, I need the command to join 2 lines into one. I found lots of threads but none give me the sollution. Probably because unix scripting is one of my best features ;) I got a logfile where line 2 needs to be joined with line 1, lines 4 needs to be joined with line 3 etc If you need... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rene21976
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable joining

I really need help on this problem. The story: My VAR1 and VAR2 works fine and able to get the value. I want to do as "if VAR1 or VAR2 is bigger than max_loadavg then the code will run...then if VAR1 or VAR2 is lesser than min_loadavg then the other code will run... The problem: The... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hezry79
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining Three Files

Hi guys, I have three files which needs to be joined to a single file. File 1: Col a, Col b, Col c File 2: Col 1a, Col 1b File 3: Col 2a, Col 2b Output: Col 1a, Col 2a, Col a, Col b, Col c. All the files are comma delimited. I need to join Col b with Col 1b and need to... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining 2 Files

File "A" (column names: Nickname Number GB) Nickname Number GB PROD_DB0034 100A 16 ASMIL1B_DATA_003 100B 16 PSPROD_0000 1014 36 PSPROD_0001 100D 223 ..... File "B" (column names: TYPE DEVICE NUMBER SIZE) TYPE DEVICE NUMBER SIZE 1750500 hdisk2 100A 16384 1750500 hdisk3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in different way

Hi all, I'm excited to the part of unix.com forum, and noob to it. I have an query, where I have an file and it contains data like this use thread when posting do no I was expecting the result as use thread thread when when posting posting do do no use thread when thread when... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jose Nirmal
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help me in joining two files

I have two files with the below contents : sampleoutput3.txt 20150202;hostname1 20150223;hostname2 20150716;hostname3 sampleoutput1.txt hostname;packages_out_of_date;errata_out_of_date; hostname1;11;0; hostnamea;12;0; hostnameb;11;0; hostnamec;95;38; hostnamed;440;358;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
2 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)