Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Better to Use Return Code or wc -l Output? Post 302797915 by Corona688 on Tuesday 23rd of April 2013 12:12:29 PM
Old 04-23-2013
also, pgrep directly prints pid's, so if you need them as output it can be used unfiltered.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Return code from PL/SQL Code

Hi Guys, I was just wondering if anybody can help me with this problem. OK, how we can get a value back from PL/SQL Script (not stored procedure/function) See the below example: (for example aaa.sh) #!/bin/ksh VALUE=`sqlplus -s user/password@test_id <<EOF @xxx.sq EOF` echo $VALUE ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaz
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

asking about return code

hi all my system is linux red hat i have a script that runs some object . the object return some code to the system i see the code by writing echo $? i want to ask in the script if $? equals 14 how shell is do that in the script thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto return the single penultimate line from my output

Hi All I have what seems to be something quite trivial but for the life of me can't work out a solution. Basically, I have the following script that reads a version report that contains certain flags. If a condition is true, I want to print the value of column 2, sort them uniquely and return... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin2502
2 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

how to return cygwin output to DOS

Hi, I have installed cygwin on my windows XP system. And I am trying to use the following code snippet: set SERVER="grep JDBCConnectionPool config.xml | gawk -F; '{print $2}'" sed -i 's/%SERVER%/WLMDEVDB1/' config.xml But it doesn't work because at runtime %SERVER% gets replaced by "grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: illcar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

psql output without return \n

Hi Everyone, When i finish running # echo `psql -t -U root databaseA -c "select a, b from book"`; i get the output 107275 | 14 107301 | 2 107446 | 6 107820 | 77 107929 | 101 Would like to have the result like: 107275 | 14 107301 | 2 107446 | 6 107820 | 77 107929 | 101 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with call of Java Programm & return code handling & output to several streams.

Hello Everybody, thanks in advance for spending some time in my problem. My problem is this: I want to call a java-Programm out of my shell skript, check if die return code is right, and split the output to the normal output and into a file. The following code doesn't work right, because in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danifunny
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

*ix script to check port of client server and return output

Hello EveryOne, I am new to *ix. some could help to write a script. Problem :- Have to ssh to so many client and check port or filesystem usage, so thinking to automate using script. What i Need:- when i run script on my Launchpad server, it should Should ask and SSH to user provided... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MeFirst
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return output from shell script

Hi All, There are 2 scripts A and B. A --> It will invoke script B B --> It will generate below output. 100 - connected 105 - Not Connected 210 - Connected I want to return this value to script A. Please advice. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the return value and get the output to $results

cmd() { echo " " echo "$(whoami)@$(hostname):$(pwd)# $*" results=`eval $*` echo $results } I want to get the eval $* 's return value and pass it to a new variable $val, and get "eval $*" 's the ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
7 Replies
PGREP(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          PGREP(1)

NAME
pgrep, pkill - look up or signal processes based on name and other attributes SYNOPSIS
pgrep [options] pattern pkill [options] pattern DESCRIPTION
pgrep looks through the currently running processes and lists the process IDs which match the selection criteria to stdout. All the crite- ria have to match. For example, $ pgrep -u root sshd will only list the processes called sshd AND owned by root. On the other hand, $ pgrep -u root,daemon will list the processes owned by root OR daemon. pkill will send the specified signal (by default SIGTERM) to each process instead of listing them on stdout. OPTIONS
-signal --signal signal Defines the signal to send to each matched process. Either the numeric or the symbolic signal name can be used. (pkill only.) -c, --count Suppress normal output; instead print a count of matching processes. When count does not match anything, e.g. returns zero, the command will return non-zero value. -d, --delimiter delimiter Sets the string used to delimit each process ID in the output (by default a newline). (pgrep only.) -f, --full The pattern is normally only matched against the process name. When -f is set, the full command line is used. -g, --pgroup pgrp,... Only match processes in the process group IDs listed. Process group 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own process group. -G, --group gid,... Only match processes whose real group ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -i, --ignore-case Match processes case-insensitively. -l, --list-name List the process name as well as the process ID. (pgrep only.) -a, --list-full List the full command line as well as the process ID. (pgrep only.) -n, --newest Select only the newest (most recently started) of the matching processes. -o, --oldest Select only the oldest (least recently started) of the matching processes. -P, --parent ppid,... Only match processes whose parent process ID is listed. -s, --session sid,... Only match processes whose process session ID is listed. Session ID 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own session ID. -t, --terminal term,... Only match processes whose controlling terminal is listed. The terminal name should be specified without the "/dev/" prefix. -u, --euid euid,... Only match processes whose effective user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -U, --uid uid,... Only match processes whose real user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -v, --inverse Negates the matching. This option is usually used in pgrep's context. In pkill's context the short option is disabled to avoid accidental usage of the option. -w, --lightweight Shows all thread ids instead of pids in pgrep's context. In pkill's context this option is disabled. -x, --exact Only match processes whose names (or command line if -f is specified) exactly match the pattern. -F, --pidfile file Read PID's from file. This option is perhaps more useful for pkill than pgrep. -L, --logpidfile Fail if pidfile (see -F) not locked. --ns pid Match processes that belong to the same namespaces. Required to run as root to match processes from other users. See --nslist for how to limit which namespaces to match. --nslist name,... Match only the provided namespaces. Available namespaces: ipc, mnt, net, pid, user,uts. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help and exit. OPERANDS
pattern Specifies an Extended Regular Expression for matching against the process names or command lines. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Find the process ID of the named daemon: $ pgrep -u root named Example 2: Make syslog reread its configuration file: $ pkill -HUP syslogd Example 3: Give detailed information on all xterm processes: $ ps -fp $(pgrep -d, -x xterm) Example 4: Make all netscape processes run nicer: $ renice +4 $(pgrep netscape) EXIT STATUS
0 One or more processes matched the criteria. 1 No processes matched. 2 Syntax error in the command line. 3 Fatal error: out of memory etc. NOTES
The process name used for matching is limited to the 15 characters present in the output of /proc/pid/stat. Use the -f option to match against the complete command line, /proc/pid/cmdline. The running pgrep or pkill process will never report itself as a match. BUGS
The options -n and -o and -v can not be combined. Let me know if you need to do this. Defunct processes are reported. SEE ALSO
ps(1), regex(7), signal(7), killall(1), skill(1), kill(1), kill(2) AUTHOR
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng March 2015 PGREP(1)