Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Did my script execute successfully ? Post 302797361 by rbatte1 on Monday 22nd of April 2013 12:41:54 PM
Old 04-22-2013
You didn't tell us your shell. I will assume ksh.

So how do you know your scripts have finished? You are simply getting the return code from the submission of a background job. I think you need something more like:-

Code:
(/tmp/commet/bin/connectdb1.sh;print $?>/tmp/db1.ret )&
(/tmp/commet/bin/connectdb2.sh;print $?>/tmp/db2.ret )&

wait

condb1=`cat /tmp/db1.ret`
condb2=`cat /tmp/db2.ret`

if [ $condb1 -ne 0 ] || [ $condb2 -ne 0 ]
then
   echo " Error executing one of the two scripts ...."
fi

Note the extra spaces in the if statement between the square brackets and the values. This might not apply in your shell, but it's a good bet it does looking at your message. Pretty basic stuff, but easy to get wrong.

This is a bit of a clunky way to do it, but this way will wait for both to complete before you get an answer. Is that okay? Be careful that there are no other background tasks, or it will wait for them too.

If you need to know as soon as one finished, there are ways to look at that, but hopefully the simple way will work for you.

Another way might be a co-process, but I'm not so good with them.

I hope that this helps,
Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script execute or no execute

o hola.. Tengo un script que se ejecuta bajo una tarea del CronJOb del unix, tengo la version 11 de unix, mi script tiene un ciclo que lee unos archivos .txt luego cada uno de esos archivos debe pasar por un procedimiento almacenado el cual lo tengo almacenado en mi base de datos oracle 10g,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kespinoza97
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script working successfully only when executed twice

Guys, i am facing a very strange issue, my code below does an ftp to server A and gets a file to Server B, once the file is in B an if condition is present to check if the pattern of the filename is ABC* then it has to be encrypted using OPENSSL as ABC.enc else if it of pattern 123* has to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meva
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script has been executed successfully or not??

Guys, How can we know whether a script has been executed successfully or not ? We dont have any log directories, and we are not given a chance to modify the script. Could someone help me out with this Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script failing to run successfully on remote node

Hi guys, I have a scenario where i want to run a script from Node A. It ssh's into Node B and runs some awk commands there plus deposiriting the output on Node B. Challenge is that the awk commands run properly when executed locally on Node B but fail when within the script on Node B. I do not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerkesler
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot successfully execute .sh: su - <name> -c

Hi All, First time poster, I hope I have the basics covered. I am trying to execute a .sh but finding I am getting inconsistent results. A fresh set of eyes would be great. I am using Solaris 10 zones. So I am trying to execute a script but I am getting different results between... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: att01
2 Replies

6. Programming

CGI Perl script to execute bash script- unable to create folder

Hi I have a bash script which takes parameters sh /tmp/gdg.sh -b BASE-NAME -n 1 -s /source/data -p /dest/data/archive -m ARC gdg.sh will scan the /source/data and will move the contents to /dest/data/archive after passing through some filters. Its working superb from bash I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print script is completed successfully or not

Hai guys I am running three shellscripts through Gtk2-Perl(GUI) these are the scripts Drccalibrescript1 script2 script3 Gtk2-Perl(GUI) drccalibre -> If I run this script through Gtk2-Perl(GUI) these are results of the drccalibrescript1 . summary/.results I have to find size of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiran425
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script replied multiple process for file has successfully created

Hi All, I have written the following code do FILE_NO=$(echo $LINE|awk -F"|" '{print $1}'|tr "'" '+'|sed 's/\(.*\)\(++\)\(.*\)\(++\)/\3/') INST_NO=$(echo $LINE|awk -F"|" '{print $2}'|tr "'" '+'|sed 's/\(.*\)\(++\)\(.*\)\(++\)/\3/') if ] then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogendra.barode
3 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)