Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers From iOS programming to Linux system programming Post 302796843 by Rockatansky on Sunday 21st of April 2013 01:49:21 AM
Old 04-21-2013
From iOS programming to Linux system programming

Hello.
I like Linux and C programming language. Allways wanted to understand kernel and become a Linux system programmer. And I also like Objective-C and iOS. These two programming areas have relations:
1. Linux and iOS are UNIX-like systems, POSIX compliant.
2. It is useful to know C language for iOS programmer.

And I have these questions:
1) Is it useful for usual iOS web/GUI/game programmer to know UNIX/FreeBSD programming?
2) Is it useful for usual iOS web/GUI/game programmer to know iOS kernel and iOS system programming?
3) Is it difficult to transit from iOS programming to Linux system programming?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

System Programming

Hi all, I am working on a c program (in a unix environment) making system calls. My program makes references to POSIX, _POSIX_SOURCE 1. When trying to compile the c program, I received a message "Language optional software package not installed." I am not sure if this message refers to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rachael
3 Replies

2. Programming

System programming in C

Hi there, Am very very interested in system level programming in C???? Please give me a good site or a sample program to start with.. will be of a great help to me.. Thanks, Nisha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nisha
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

4. Programming

system Programming using JAVA.

Dear Sir, How to write Code using JAVA technology for system programming ? I want to develop a new compiler for my own language. thanks in advance roy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swapan
1 Replies

5. Programming

System programming in C

Hi guys, i'm programming in C for Linux but i preferred to program in FreeBSD and some FreeBSD system calls are not available in Linux and i want to make my code portable but i don't now really how, but i think if i used some C preprocessors i can make it portable, and the problems is that i don't... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

7. IP Networking

Operating System Programming

I am new in Kernel programming....i want to know how kernel is implemented.To this i have downloaded minix 3 kernel but i do not know where to start my study of kernel programming...please tell me from where to start understanding the code and how to run kernel in windows 7 or red hat. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sajan Gupta
3 Replies

8. Programming

What is Unix System Programming???

Hi friends, Hope u r doing well. I really find the phrase, "Unix System Programming" very very cool, I don't know the reason, but it since I love UNIX, I want to do system programming in unix. Could you please tell me what is really the meaning of unix system programming. I have a couple of books... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

9. Programming

c programming system call

newPerm = oldPerm & ~0100; where oldPerm holds the value of st_mode from the system call stat(). When I try and compile every line where ive attempted to do these operations gives the warning "parameter names without declaration types in function declaration". what could be the problem? the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjhum33
2 Replies

10. Programming

Video Tutorial of Linux System Programming with C

Video tutorial of Linux System Programming with C. YouTube - Linux System Programming with C by Indronil Banerjee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vectrum
1 Replies
confstr(3C)															       confstr(3C)

NAME
confstr() - get string-valued configuration values SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
provides a method for applications to get configuration-defined string values. Its use and purpose are similar to (see sysconf(2)), except that it is used where string values rather than numeric values are returned. The name parameter can take on the following name values, which are defined in A default value for the environment variable which can be used to locate commands in Section 1 of the and utilities defined in the POSIX.2 standard that are currently implemented in the HP-UX operating system. Which kernel is supported on the hardware. Current values returned include "32", "32/64" or "64". Whether the kernel is 32-bit or 64-bit. Current values returned include "32" or "64". The hardware model string. Unique identifier for each machine. Returned as an opaque string of printable ASCII characters. This string has the same value for all partitions in a physical machine. Refer to for a unique identifier for partitions in a machine. For hardware classes first released with HP-UX 11i or later, this ID is unique across all hardware classes. For earlier hardware classes, the ID number is unique only within the hard- ware class. A null string is returned if no ID number is available; this is expected to be the case only for proto- type machines or other systems improperly configured in manufacturing. Comparisons of this value must be made using the string compare functions, see string(3C). Identifier for each partition existing on a machine. Returned as an opaque string of printable ASCII characters. For any machine not supporting partitions this value will be the same as Com- parisons of this value must be made using the string compare functions, see string(3C). Machine serial number. The value will be a printable ASCII string. This string is not available on all classes of machines; if unavailable, the string will be empty. This string is not a unique identifier of the machine, since machines of different classes can have the same serial number. If a unique identifier is needed, use or The set of initial options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of final options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of libraries to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of options to be given to the utility to check application source using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of initial options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64-bits. The set of final options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64-bits. The set of libraries to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64-bits. The set of options to be given to the utility to check application source using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64-bits. The set of initial options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of final options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of libraries to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of options to be given to the utility to check application source using a programming model with 32-bit int, and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of initial options to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with an int type using 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64-bits. The set of libraries to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with an int type using 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64-bits. The set of libraries to be given to the and utilities to build an application using a programming model with an int type using 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64-bits. The set of options to be given to the utility to check application source using a programming model with an int type using 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64-bits. The set of initial options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of final options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of libraries to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of initial options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64 bits. The set of final options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64 bits. The set of libraries to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int, long, and pointer types, and an off_t type using at least 64 bits. The set of initial options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of final options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of libraries to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with 32-bit int and 64-bit long, pointer, and off_t types. The set of initial options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with an int type using at least 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64 bits. The set of final options to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with an int type using at least 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64 bits. The set of libraries to be given to the utility to build an application using a programming model with an int type using at least 32 bits and long, pointer, and off_t types using at least 64 bits. This value is a <newline>-separated list of names of programming environments supported by the implementation in which the widths of the blksize_t, cc_t, mode_t, nfds_t, pid_t, ptrdiff_t, size_t, speed_t, ssize_t, suseconds_t, tcflag_t, useconds_t, wchar_t, and wint_t types are no greater than the width of type long. If len is not zero, and if name is known and has a configuration-defined value, copies that value into the len-byte buffer pointed to by buf. If the string to be returned is longer than len bytes, including the terminating null, truncates the string to len-1 bytes and null- terminates the result. The application can detect that the string was truncated by comparing the value returned by with len. If len is zero and buf is NULL, returns the integer value as defined below, but does not return a string. If len is zero but buf is not NULL, the result is unspecified. RETURN VALUE
If name is invalid, returns zero and sets to If name does not have a configuration-defined value, returns 0 (zero) and leaves unchanged. If name has a configuration-defined value, returns the size of buffer that would be needed to hold the entire configuration-defined value. If this return value is less than len, the string returned in buf has been truncated. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment calls to determine the correct buffer size for allocates space for this buffer, then gets the configuration value for AUTHOR
was developed by HP. FILES
symbolic constants and structures used for support of the /usr/group standard SEE ALSO
getconf(1), errno(2), fpathconf(2), pathconf(2), sysconf(2), malloc(3C), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
confstr(3C)