Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is the relation between UNIX and emacs? Post 302796819 by hanson44 on Saturday 20th of April 2013 10:32:05 PM
Old 04-20-2013
As you say, Unix is an operating system (OS), and emacs is a program. So they are totally different.

Here's one way they are related. emacs (or vi) CANNOT run all by it's self. emacs depends on the OS. When you boot the computer, the OS always starts running first. Once the OS is running, emacs can run "on top of it".

You cannot boot up the computer to start running emacs first. The OS has to run first. The OS must be running first, in order that emacs can work.

Here's another way they are related. The OS is MUCH more complex than emacs. The OS takes care of all the background details, more than we can imagine.

Finally, when you boot the computer, there is normally one OS (linux, windows, etc.). And it just stays one OS. You can run countless programs, such as emacs or whatever. But the one OS keeps running the whole time.

"Commands" for emacs are like "delete this line", "copy this line", etc. "Commands" for the OS are like "cp file1 file2", "mkdir xxx", etc. They are totally different environments.

I hope this helps. The distinction between the OS and a program such as emacs is very important.
This User Gave Thanks to hanson44 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Relation between kernel & weblogic thread

"nkthread" kernel parameter limits the number of threads running at any point of time from all processes. Does the thread setting in "weblogic server" is in anyway related to this. Please suggest. Thanks Bishweshwar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parent child Relation !! using awk/sed ???

tempfind.txt file has: t2589vg 888898 336008 09:15:55 -ksh mqsiadm 1421774 888898 09:16:48 -ksh I am searching using 1421774 in the above file tempfind.txt and and trying to get the no. i.e. 888898 . Based on this no. i have to get the first line, where the same no. is there . The nos. in Blue... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

nfs on RHEL5.4 in relation to the selected kernel

I have 2 RHEL5.4 systems connected by a network. I start nfs server on one (fill /etc/exports , exportfs -ra, service nfs start, portmpa is up) and the client is on the other . I can mount the exported directory on the client and work there . Now the RH54 kernel is 2.6.18 . I now installed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dubi
2 Replies

4. Programming

MySQL: Create a relation between two tables.

Hello everybody, I'm having troubles creating a relation between two tables in a MySQL database. Having two tables, being one which contains users information (username, password, user ID, etc) and the other the one which contains transactions information (operation type, user ID of the user who... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semash!
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have to learn UNIX/LINUX/VIM/EMACS

I need some advice from people who use command line frequently and know how to use both VIM and EMACS pretty well for their daily tasks. Please no opinion on which one better etc..., I got enough at that from the Internet. A little about my professional background: I have been a firmware... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gspec
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use emacs? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a beginner in unix. Please correct me if I put the question in a wrong way.. How to use emacs editor? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format? I have the following link :- http link i.e. url and path : /abc/xyz.dev/xyz/documents What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regarding relation between SAS and HTML

How is sas related to web development - once we have the sas code executed what is the necessity to create a html output?? Any sas and html users welcome .. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

One to many relation by awk

Hi, I have a file with more than 50,000 rows. The file is **hsa-miR-10a** ** ABBA-1 ** **hsa-miR-10a** ** ABCA1 ** **hsa-miR-10a** ** ABCC3 ** **hsa-miR-10a** ** ABCC3 ** **hsa-miR-10a** ** ABI3 ** **hsa-miR-10a** ** ACAD11 ** **hsa-miR-10a** ** ACAD11 ** **hsa-miR-10a** ** ACRC **... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the relation between values from TOP and SAR commands?

Hi, Please have a look at the look at the below top and sar commands. top -bn1 | grep load | awk '{printf "CPU Load: %.2f\n", $(NF-2)}' CPU Load: 0.52 sar -u 1 1 Linux 3.10.0-514.16.1.el7.x86_64 (mymac) 06/01/2017 _x86_64_ (2 CPU) 03:27:40 PM CPU %user %nice ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
MODERATORS(5)							File Formats Manual						     MODERATORS(5)

NAME
moderators - mail addresses for moderated Usenet newsgroups DESCRIPTION
The GetModeratorAddress(3) routine reads the file /etc/news/moderators to determine how to reach the moderator of a newsgroup. This is used by inews(1) when an unapproved local posting is made to a moderated newsgroup. The file is read until a match is found. Blank lines and lines starting with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines should consist of two fields separated by a colon. The first field is a wildmat(3)-style pattern. If it matches the name of the newsgroup, then the second field is taken to be a format string for sprintf(3). This string should have at most one %s parameter, which will be given the name of the newsgroup with periods transliterated to dashes. Here is a sample file: foo.important:announce-request@foo.com foo.*:%s@mailer.foo.com gnu.*:%s@prep.ai.mit.edu *:%s@uunet.uu.net Using the above file, postings to the moderated newsgroup in the left column will be sent to the address shown in the right column: foo.important announce-request@foo.com foo.x.announce foo-x-announce@mailer.foo.com gnu.emacs.sources gnu-emacs-sources@prep.ai.mit.edu comp.sources.unix comp-sources-unix@uunet.uu.net HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.15, dated 1996/09/06. SEE ALSO
inews(1), inn.conf(5), libinn(3), wildmat(3). MODERATORS(5)