Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Print line by character in C
Top Forums Programming Print line by character in C Post 302796741 by Scott on Saturday 20th of April 2013 05:34:49 PM
Old 04-20-2013
I think your while condition is also slightly wrong.

Code:
  while ((c = getchar()) != EOF)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Print Line If Specific Character Is Matched

Hello, I have a file as such: FFFFFFF6C000000 225280 225240 - - rwxs- FFFFFFFF79C00000 3240 3240 - - rwxs- FFFFFFFF7A000000 4096 4096 - - rwxs- FFFFFFFF7A400000 64 64 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PointyWombat
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a particular character n number of times in a line??

hi, Is it possible to print a particular character n number of times in a line? for example. i am print the following line using echo command.. echo "files successfully moved" i want to count the number of characters that are been displayed. i am doin it using echo "files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies

6. Programming

Read text from file and print each character in separate line

performing this code to read from file and print each character in separate line works well with ASCII encoded text void preprocess_file (FILE *fp) { int cc; for (;;) { cc = getc (fp); if (cc == EOF) break; printf ("%c\n", cc); } } int main(int... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khaled79
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If first character doesn't equal '#' and same line contains 'temp', print everything else

(2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoman1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print entire line only if certain fixed character matches the string

Hi All, I have a file testarun.txt contains the below lines and i want to print the lines if the character positions 7-8 matches 01. 201401011111 201401022222 201402013333 201402024444 201403015555 201403026666 201404017777 201404028888 201405019999 201405020000 I am trying the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed to print the character from the previous line after the regexp match

Hi All, I need to print the characters in the previous line just before the regular expression match Please have a look at the input file as attached I need to match the regular expression ^ with the character of the previous like and also the pin numbers and the output file should be like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
6 Replies
GETC(3) 						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						   GETC(3)

NAME
fgetc, getc, getc_unlocked, getchar, getchar_unlocked, getw -- get next character or word from input stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int fgetc(FILE *stream); int getc(FILE *stream); int getc_unlocked(FILE *stream); int getchar(void); int getchar_unlocked(void); int getw(FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
The fgetc() function obtains the next input character (if present) from the stream pointed at by stream, or the next character pushed back on the stream via ungetc(3). The getc() function acts essentially identically to fgetc(), but is a macro that expands in-line. The getchar() function is equivalent to getc(stdin). The getw() function obtains the next int (if present) from the stream pointed at by stream. The getc_unlocked() and getchar_unlocked() functions are equivalent to getc() and getchar() respectively, except that the caller is responsi- ble for locking the stream with flockfile(3) before calling them. These functions may be used to avoid the overhead of locking the stream for each character, and to avoid input being dispersed among multiple threads reading from the same stream. RETURN VALUES
If successful, these routines return the next requested object from the stream. Character values are returned as an unsigned char converted to an int. If the stream is at end-of-file or a read error occurs, the routines return EOF. The routines feof(3) and ferror(3) must be used to distinguish between end-of-file and error. If an error occurs, the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. The end-of-file condition is remembered, even on a terminal, and all subsequent attempts to read will return EOF until the condition is cleared with clearerr(3). SEE ALSO
ferror(3), flockfile(3), fopen(3), fread(3), getwc(3), putc(3), ungetc(3) STANDARDS
The fgetc(), getc(), and getchar() functions conform to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). The getc_unlocked() and getchar_unlocked() func- tions conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). BUGS
Since EOF is a valid integer value, feof(3) and ferror(3) must be used to check for failure after calling getw(). The size and byte order of an int varies from one machine to another, and getw() is not recommended for portable applications. BSD
January 10, 2003 BSD