Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to append values to a string? Post 302796515 by vkumbhakarna on Friday 19th of April 2013 04:30:59 PM
Old 04-19-2013
Thank you for all your replies. As advised by RudiC, when I defined the string variables header_str and output_str as global variable I was very well able to resolve them outside of the piped commands.

Many thanks for your invaluable support and guidance.

Code:
set -x;
        export header_str; export output_str;
        typeset -i op_cnt=1;
        ls -lrt <dirname>|awk '{FS = ",|[ \t]+"} NR>1 { print $9, $5 }'|tr " " ":"|while read line
        do
          header_str=$(echo $header_stroutput_file$op_cnt,)
          output_str=$(echo $output_str$line,)
          op_cnt=`expr $op_cnt + 1`
        done

echo  header_str is $header_str;
        echo output_str is $output_str;

Last edited by vkumbhakarna; 04-19-2013 at 05:43 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string and append text after the string

Hi, I have a file like this... <o t="Batch" id="8410" p="/" g="32"> <a n="name"> <v s="DBBA1MM"/> </a> <a n="owner"> <v r="/Administrator"/> </a> <a n="rights"> <v s="95"/> </a> <a n="debugLevel"> <v s="3"/> </a> <a n="avsStoreLoc"> <v... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kesu2k
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use awk to append values

Hi, I have a file like this: tag1:value1 tag2:value2 tag3:value3 tag1:value1 tag2:value2 tag3:value3 tag1:value1 tag2:value2 tag3:value3 and what i want is: value1 value2 value3 value1 value2 value3 (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickrick
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append values before a string

hi all, i have variables a and b with values, like a="/var/tmp/new.sh /var/tmp/new2.sh" b="/TEST" how i need to append the value "/TEST" before the values for the variable "a" so that i get the output as /TEST/var/tmp/new.sh /TEST/var/tmp/new2.sh plz help me Regards, NG (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandagopal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with shell, trying to append or separate values in a string

Ok. I for the life of me cant figure out how to do this. I need Help. So here is what I'm trying to do. I have a block of text. They are FIPS codes for counties. Below is the block. There are probably a few ways to do this. The first line starting with ARC021....... this line is a list of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chagan02
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to append spaces to string values?

i/o file: abc,efg,xyz Required o/p file: "abc (Value + blank spaces=16) " ,"efg (Value +blank spaces=15) " ,"xyz (Value+ blank spaces =20) " In short input file value stores in result file with " i/p Value " added with spaces and are of fixed size like 16,15,20 How to do using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AhmedLakadkutta
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append a string on the next line after a pattern string is found

Right now, my code is: s/Secondary Ins./Secondary Ins.\ 1/g It's adding a 1 as soon as it finds Secondary Ins. Primary Ins.: MEDICARE B DMERC Secondary Ins. 1: CONTINENTAL LIFE INS What I really want to achieve is having a 1 added on the next line that contain "Secondary Ins." It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append a searched string with another string using sed

Hi, I need to replace and append a string in a text if grep is true. For eg: grep ABC test.txt | grep -v '\.$' | awk {'print $4'} | sed "s/ ? How do I replace all instances of "print $4" using sed with another sring? Eg of the string returned will be, lx123 web222 xyz Want to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vchee
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in file and append new string after

Hi All, I'm trying to insert a string into a file at a specific location. I'd like to add a string after the parent::__construct(); in my file. <?php if (! defined('BASEPATH')) exit('No direct script access allowed'); class MY_Controller extends CI_Controller { function... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjkilpatrick
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append values of duplicate entries

My input file is: LOC_Os01g01870 GO:0006139 LOC_Os01g01870 GO:0009058 LOC_Os01g02570 GO:0006464 LOC_Os01g02570 GO:0009987 LOC_Os01g02570 GO:0008152 LOC_Os01g04380 GO:0006950 LOC_Os01g04380 GO:0009628 I want to append the duplicate values in a tab/space... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanchari
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

<< generate alphabets and append in the input values >>

Hi Team, Pls help to get the desired output. I have a input like below nodecount=10 host=na7-db1-1-chi nodecount can be 10 or 8 based on this we need a output (in single line) like below na7-db1-1-chi:A na7-db1-2-chi:B na7-db1-3-chi:C na7-db1-4-chi:D na7-db1-5-chi:E... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
4 Replies
append(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							append(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
append - Append to variable SYNOPSIS
append varName ?value value value ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Append all of the value arguments to the current value of variable varName. If varName doesn't exist, it is given a value equal to the concatenation of all the value arguments. The result of this command is the new value stored in variable varName. This command provides an efficient way to build up long variables incrementally. For example, ``append a $b'' is much more efficient than ``set a $a$b'' if $a is long. EXAMPLE
Building a string of comma-separated numbers piecemeal using a loop. set var 0 for {set i 1} {$i<=10} {incr i} { append var "," $i } puts $var # Prints 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 SEE ALSO
concat(1T), lappend(1T) KEYWORDS
append, variable ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl append(1T)