Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove Extra Delimiter
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove Extra Delimiter Post 302796109 by pankajchaudhari on Friday 19th of April 2013 02:07:23 AM
Old 04-19-2013
Remove Extra Delimiter

Hi ,

I have file like this..

Code:

aaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|fff|dsaaFFDFD|
Adsads|sas|sa|as|asa|saddas|dsasd|sdad|
dsas|dss|sss|sss|ddd|dssd|rrr|fddf|
www|fff|refd|dads|fsdf|00sd|
5fgdg|dfs00|d55f|sfds55|445fsd|55ds|sdf|

so I do no have any fix pattern and I want to remove extra delimiter(|) and want to keep six delimiter(|) in each row.
I've done googling and try to use sed command , but have not able to do it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove extra lines in the file

Hi, I have some files, with some extra lines in weird characters on the top and bottom of the. I want to get rid of those line. Is there a way I can do that? example of the input file. I want to get rid of those lines in bold  ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: CamTu
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove the extra spaces in unix

Hi... I am quite new to Unix and would like an issue to be resolved. I have a file in the format below; 4,Reclaim,ECXTEST02,abc123,Harry Potter,5432 6730 0327 5469,0603,,MC,,1200,EUR,sho-001,,1,,,abc123,1223 I would like my output to be as follows; 4,Reclaim,ECXTEST02,abc123,Harry... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sho
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove extra spaces in a line

Hi, I need a help in deleting extra spaces in a text. I have a huge file, a part of it is :- 3 09/21/08 03:32:07 started undef mino Oracle nmx004.wwdc.numonyx.com Message Text : The Oracle session with the PID 1103 has a CPU time ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove extra spaces between fields

Hi, I have a source file as mentioned below: I want to remove all the extra spaces between the fields. a b--------|sa df-------|3232---|3 sf sa------|afs sdf-----|43-----|33 a b c------|adfsa dsf---|23-32|23 *Here '-' idicates spaces Now, I want output as below: a b|sa df|3232|3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove extra spaces from a string??

Hi, I have a string like this and i want to remove extra spaces that exists between the words. Here is the sentence. $string="The small DNA genome of hepadnaviruses is replicated by reverse transcription via an RNA intermediate. This RNA "pregenome" contains ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove extra character

Hi I am using cat <filename> command in one of my datastage job(Command Activity). It is giving actual value but giving extra line. Eg: Displayed Output: 1 and showing extraline(Eg: 1 ) I had checked even wc -c it is giving one character extra. If the file contains 11. wc -c says 3. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnrj
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to remove extra characters

Guys, I have a file that contains entries like this: LaxOrdID=19220288<8> LaxOrdID=19220288 I would like to remove <> and the values inside it anywhere its found. How? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove of extra spaces from the trailing

HI, I need the help from the experts like I have created one file with text like: a b c d e f g h i j k l So my question is that i have to write the script in which like in the first sentence it will take only one space after d and remove all the extra space in the end.I dont... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhanudhingra
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extra Space in output - remove

Hi All I am trying to perform the below operation -count=`cat abc.txt | wc -l` echo$count 5 Head=Start"$DATE"00000"$count"File echo $HEAD START15020300000 5File There is a space coming before 5 which is not needed . How to ignore that . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: honey26
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File Containing Extra delimiter should be removed

The input file is this: a|b|c|d x|y|z|n||||||||| p|q|r|s||| g|h|i| w|e|r|| Now as per requirement , each row should have only 3 delimiter. Now the 2nd row & last row has an extra delimiter, How to remove that ? In some large file having 100K data , there can be 100 such rows having... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikdKunal
4 Replies
ASA(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    ASA(1)

NAME
asa -- interpret carriage-control characters. SYNOPSIS
asa [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The asa utility reads files sequentially, mapping FORTRAN carriage-control characters to line-printer control sequences, and writes them to the standard output. The first character of each line is interpreted as a carriage-control character. The following characters are interpreted as follows: <space> Output the rest of the line without change. 0 Output a <newline> character before printing the rest of the line. 1 Output a <formfeed> character before printing the rest of the line. + The trailing <newline> of the previous line is replaced by a <carriage-return> before printing the rest of the line. Lines beginning with characters other than the above are treated as if they begin with <space>. EXAMPLES
To view a file containing the output of a FORTRAN program: asa file To format the output of a FORTRAN program and redirect it to a line-printer. a.out | asa | lpr DIAGNOSTICS
The asa utility exit 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
f77(1) STANDARDS
The asa utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). AUTHORS
J.T. Conklin, Winning Strategies, Inc. BSD
September 23, 1993 BSD