Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding filename and line number from multiple files to final file Post 302795937 by Don Cragun on Thursday 18th of April 2013 03:49:53 PM
Old 04-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioinfo
Thanks a lot Don Cragon for such an extensive explanation and hanson44. Smilie
Does the amount of space between the lines matter or we can write awk program in one line too? Is it for proper readability only?

Thanks.

---------- Post updated at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:36 AM ----------

Hurray!
I got my output. Smilie Smilie
Thanks
If is logically possible to write any awk script as a single line, if you're willing to type it into your shell. If the awk program is in a shell file to be executed, you'll have to restrict the length of each line in your script to the limits supported by your editor. You can also throw away all of the comments and change all of the variable names to single characters to make the script shorter.

I choose to write programs in a way that is easy for me to read and understand rather than to try to artificially produce 1-liners. If you ask me about an awk script I submitted here a month ago, I don't want to deal with the obfuscation caused by collapsing an easily read script into a single line.

If you take a script I supplied, modify it slightly to add a new feature, collapse it to a single line, and then ask me to help you debug your new feature; I will definitely be slower to respond and it will be much more likely that I won't respond at all. Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabing Date from filename and adding to the end of each line in the file.

Hi, I have 24 .dat files something like below. The file name starts with “abc” followed by two digit month and two digit year. Is there a way to grab the month and year from each filename and append it to the end of each line. Once this is done I want to combine all the files into file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding multiple line at the end of the file

I have 2 files which contains the following lines file1.txt line4 line5 line6 file2.txt line1 line2 line3 When i execute a script , I want my file2.txt will looks like this: line1 line2 line3 line4 line5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaibiganmi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a columnfrom a specifit line number to a specific line number

Hi, I have a huge file & I want to add a specific text in column. But I want to add this text from a specific line number to a specific line number & another text in to another range of line numbers. To be more specific: lets say my file has 1000 lines & 4 Columns. I want to add text "Hello"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ezy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text in final line

Dear Friends, I have a flat file where last line of it has word D$mhtt I want to add a space and back slash after it. Also wanna add -S "J" in the last line. Following example will make it clear. I have this in the last line of file D$mhtt I want D$mhtt \ -S "J" Please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding filename to each line of the file

Hi, I am a relative new bee in scripting. I need to develop a script such that the code would iterate through each file in a source directory and append every line of the file with '|' and the corresponding file filename. eg INPUT file IF927_1.dat - H|abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripting_newbe
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert filename into each line of multiple files

I need to insert <filename + comma> into each line of multiple files. Any idea how to script that? Regards, Manu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux.yahoo
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing line in text file adding number to value in file

I have a text file that has data like: Data "12345#22" Fred ID 12345 Age 45 Wilma Dino Data "123#22" Tarzan ID 123 Age 33 Jane I need to figure out a way of adding 1,000,000 to the specific lines (always same format) in the file, so it becomes: Data "1012345#22" Fred ID... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding line number to *end* of records in file

Given a file like this: abc def ghi I need to get to somestandardtext abc1 morestandardtext somestandardtext def2 morestandardtext somestandardtext ghi3 morestandardtext Notice that in addition to the standard text there is the line number added in as well. What I conceived is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding user name to file, and then displaying new line number

Hi all - I'm completely stumped by a script I'm working on... The short version is I have a file called 'lookup' and in it are hundreds of names (first and last). I have a script that basically allows the user to enter a name, and what I need to have happen is something like this: Record... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabster
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert the line number from text file to filename output

Hi everyone :) I have a file "words.txt" containing hundreds of lines of text. Each line contains a slogan. Using the code below i am able to generate an image with the slogan text from each line. The image filename is saved matching the last word on each line. Example: Line 1: We do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
2 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)