Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Vi editor will not open new to UNIX. help please. Post 302795211 by Corona688 on Wednesday 17th of April 2013 12:01:11 PM
Old 04-17-2013
If vi is aliased to anything, you can short-circuit that by running it with it's full path, i.e. /usr/bin/vi. It may not be exactly that on your system, which vi to find it.

Also, try vim instead of vi, on many systems vi is just a link or script running vim (one which may be misbehaving on your system for some reason)

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to open files in VI editor

Hi, I unable to open any file using Vi editor,constantly getting the following error, vi log.log *** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption: 0x081af510 ** uname -a Linux sekac092 2.6.5-7.244-bigsmp #1 SMP Mon Dec 12 18:32:25 UTC 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux Also Note ls... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennstate
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give permissions to an open file in vi editor?

Hi all, I have a shell script that i started editing, only in the midst of which i tried to save the changes i found that the file wasnt been provided with write/execute permissions. I later have redone the changes and saved the file- Just curious to know if there was any command wherein... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

getting error when open vi editor

helo I install my product for koren language I m uisng RHEL -4 operating system now problem is whenever I open any file vi filename I got following error on the screen E557: Cannot open termcap file 'vt100' not known. Available builtin terminals are: builtin_ansi ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to open file in VI Editor at a specific line?

i have following query e.g i want the VI Editor cursor at line number N instead of 0 while opening the file from unix prompt. vi filename ?????? Can anyone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to read .csv file until open in vi editor

Hi, I am facing a problem regarding .csv file, my script does not read .csv file and if i open this file in vi editor and perform :wq option then only my script reads the .csv file. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranabhavish
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to check if a file is open in editor?

Hi there! I'm developing a program that allows the user to open and edit files using both an editor and the terminal. Once the user has finished editing the file an update is sent to the logbook that compares the file before and after it was edited - this can only be done if the file is closed (I... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: cherryTango
23 Replies
VIMTUTOR(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  VIMTUTOR(1)

NAME
vimtutor - the Vim tutor SYNOPSIS
vimtutor [-g] [language] DESCRIPTION
Vimtutor starts the Vim tutor. It copies the tutor file first, so that it can be modified without changing the original file. The Vimtutor is useful for people that want to learn their first Vim commands. The optional argument -g starts vimtutor with gvim rather than vim, if the GUI version of vim is available, or falls back to Vim if gvim is not found. The optional [language] argument is the two-letter name of a language, like "it" or "es". If the [language] argument is missing, the lan- guage of the current locale will be used. If a tutor in this language is available, it will be used. Otherwise the English version will be used. Vim is always started in Vi compatible mode. FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor[.language] The Vimtutor text file(s). /usr/share/vim/vim80/tutor/tutor.vim The Vim script used to copy the Vimtutor text file. AUTHOR
The Vimtutor was originally written for Vi by Michael C. Pierce and Robert K. Ware, Colorado School of Mines using ideas supplied by Charles Smith, Colorado State University. E-mail: bware@mines.colorado.edu. It was modified for Vim by Bram Moolenaar. For the names of the translators see the tutor files. SEE ALSO
vim(1) 2001 April 2 VIMTUTOR(1)