Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Vi editor will not open new to UNIX. help please. Post 302794863 by hanson44 on Wednesday 17th of April 2013 12:27:25 AM
Old 04-17-2013
Perhaps one of your vi config files is messed up.
Code:
cd $HOME
ls -la

See if any .exrc or .vimrc (if you use vim) files.

If so, try "cat .exrc" or "cat .vimrc" and see what is inside them.

Run "mv .exrc .exrc-old" and "mv .vimrc .vimrc-old" and see if that corrects the problem.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to open files in VI editor

Hi, I unable to open any file using Vi editor,constantly getting the following error, vi log.log *** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption: 0x081af510 ** uname -a Linux sekac092 2.6.5-7.244-bigsmp #1 SMP Mon Dec 12 18:32:25 UTC 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux Also Note ls... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennstate
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give permissions to an open file in vi editor?

Hi all, I have a shell script that i started editing, only in the midst of which i tried to save the changes i found that the file wasnt been provided with write/execute permissions. I later have redone the changes and saved the file- Just curious to know if there was any command wherein... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

getting error when open vi editor

helo I install my product for koren language I m uisng RHEL -4 operating system now problem is whenever I open any file vi filename I got following error on the screen E557: Cannot open termcap file 'vt100' not known. Available builtin terminals are: builtin_ansi ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to open file in VI Editor at a specific line?

i have following query e.g i want the VI Editor cursor at line number N instead of 0 while opening the file from unix prompt. vi filename ?????? Can anyone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to read .csv file until open in vi editor

Hi, I am facing a problem regarding .csv file, my script does not read .csv file and if i open this file in vi editor and perform :wq option then only my script reads the .csv file. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranabhavish
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to check if a file is open in editor?

Hi there! I'm developing a program that allows the user to open and edit files using both an editor and the terminal. Once the user has finished editing the file an update is sent to the logbook that compares the file before and after it was edited - this can only be done if the file is closed (I... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: cherryTango
23 Replies
vim-registry(5) 						    vim addons							   vim-registry(5)

NAME
vim-registry - syntax for vim-addons registry files SYNOPSIS
PACKAGE-NAME.yaml DESCRIPTION
A registry file is a multi-document YAML file (i.e. it can be composed by several different YAML documents separated by "---" lines). Each YAML document represents a registry entry, that is the information describing a single addon. Ideally, the registry directory contains one file per package shipping addons; with a filename obeying to the convention PACKAGE-NAME.yaml. Hence a single package can contribute to the registry with multiple entries described in a single YAML file. For example, the "vim-scripts" package should ship a single /usr/share/vim/registry/vim-scripts.yaml file, containing one YAML document per shipped addon. The first lines of such file can look like the following: addon: alternate description: "alternate pairing files (e.g. .c/.h) with short ex-commands" basedir: /usr/share/vim-scripts/ disabledby: "let loaded_alternateFile = 1" files: - plugin/a.vim - doc/alternate.txt --- addon: whatdomain description: "query the meaning of a Top Level Domain" basedir: /usr/share/vim-scripts/ disabledby: "let loaded_whatdomain = 1" files: - plugin/whatdomain.vim --- Each registry entry may contain the following fields, to be typeset according to the YAML specification: addon (Required) Name of the addon. description (Required) Human understandable textual description of the addon. files (Required) List of the files which compose the addon and are required to be present in a component of the Vim runtime path for the addon to be enabled. Each file is specified relative to a component of the Vim runtime path. basedir (Optional) Directory where the files shipped by the addon (i.e., where the symlinks of the user/sysadm should point to) reside on the filesys- tem. Default is /usr/share/vim/addons. disabledby (Optional) Vim script command that can be used (usually by adding it to ~/.vimrc) to prevent the addon from being used even when it is installed. The intended usage of this field is to "blacklist" an undesired addon whose files are available, and hence automatically loaded by Vim, in a component of the Vim runtime path. AUTHOR
James Vega <jamessan@debian.org> SEE ALSO
vim-addons(1), YAML specification <http://www.yaml.org/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 James Vega This program is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 3 as pub- lished by the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. Debian Project January 2010 vim-registry(5)