Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cleaner way to use shell variable in awk /X/,/Y/ syntax? Post 302794803 by alister on Tuesday 16th of April 2013 06:32:55 PM
Old 04-16-2013
Hello, hanson44:

You can explicitly use the match operator:
Code:
awk '$0 ~ a, $0 ~ b' a='^START' b='^END' file

When you use /pat1/,/pat2/, that's just shorthand for what my code is doing above. That shorthand however requires regular expression literals. When using the matching operator explicitly, the right-hand side can be an expression of any type. If that expression is not a regular expression literal, its string value is evaluated as a regular expression.

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

C-shell: variable syntax question

There is a possibility to set a variable, having an another variable in it's name: prompt% setenv PRT one prompt% setenv VAR_${PRT} value prompt% So, this way the VAR_one = "value" and could be viewed: prompt% echo VAR_one value prompt% Q: How to view a variable having another... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell variable with awk

line_no=6 echo 'Phone,' `awk 'NR==$line_no{print;exit}' <filename>` what is the error in this.. it says.. awk: Field $() is not correct. The input line number is 1. The file is <filename>. The source line number is 1. i want to print the data in the $line_no line of a certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: St.Fartatric
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk and accessing variable values within the syntax

I'm writing a bash script, and I am having trouble with this line: awk '{print "url = \"http://www.example.com/directory/$type/"$1"\""}' input.file > output.file Within the URL being printed, I wish the value of the variable "$type" to be printed, after being read from user input from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meridionaljet
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use shell variable in awk?

How do you use a shell variable in awk? I am using Solaris 10 and don't have GNU products installed. File (transportation.txt) contents: car boat airplane snowmobile bicycle sled This awk statment works (prints from the car line down to bicycle awk '/car/,/bicycle/'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk syntax(partial) in variable

if a variable has part of awk syntax stored in it. for eg: x=if($1>100) can we substitute this variable in an awk statement. based on above requirement can we execute something like: awk '{x print $1}' infile (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 47shailesh
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if one liner syntax for equating with a string variable

I would like to have help with syntax for using a string varaibles inside if and else in a awk one liner. Eg. I would like to say, list all the filenames that have been modified in a particular month(present in a string variable) or list all the filenames whose owner is $owns and owner group is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prev
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: How to get an awk variable out to the shell, using system() ?

I am reasonably capable with awk and its quirks, but not with shell weirdness. This has to be Bourne Shell for portability reasons. I have an awk program that is working just fine; it handles multiple input streams and produces several reports, based on the request (-v Variables). In addition... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerekAsirvadem
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)