Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search word in 3rd column and move it to next column (4th) Post 302794765 by AK47 on Tuesday 16th of April 2013 04:44:52 PM
Old 04-16-2013
Thank you Smilie Smilie

---------- Post updated at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:48 PM ----------

I'm trying another script to convert Column to Rows.

Code:
awk '{printf("%c%s", ((/^896+/&&FNR!=1)?ORS:""), $0)}END{print ""}' file.txt > output.txt

but i keep receiving a "NUL" symbol between the words and can not remove them.

89653NUL36891NULOTR-60NULSAP-2

SmilieSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract 3rd line 4th column of a file

Hi, Shell script: I would need help on How to extract 3rd line 4th column of a file with single liner Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnamurthig
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for a word in a particular column of a file

How to search for a word like "computer" in a column (eg: 4th field) of a '***' delimited file and add a column at the end of the record which denotes 'Y' if present and 'N' if not. After this, we need to again check for words like 'Dell' but not 'DellXPS' in 5th field and again add another column... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jassz
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To search a word in particular column using awk

I have a data in a file like this 1 praveen bmscollege 2 shishira bnmit 3 parthiva geethamce I want to search "praveen" using awk command i tried like this but i did not get awk `$2="praveen" {print $0} ` praveen.lst can anyone help me solving this problem in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenhegde
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

1st column,2nd column on first line 3rd,4th on second line ect...

I need to take one column of data and put it into the following format: 1st line,2nd line 3rd line,4th line 5th line,6th line ... Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: batcho
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script to create max value of 3rd column, grouping by first column

Hi, I need an awk script (or whatever shell-construct) that would take data like below and get the max value of 3 column, when grouping by the 1st column. clientname,day-of-month,max-users ----------------------------------- client1,20120610,5 client2,20120610,2 client3,20120610,7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print every 5 4th column values as separate row with different first column

Hi, I have the following file, chr1 100 200 20 chr1 201 300 22 chr1 220 345 23 chr1 230 456 33.5 chr1 243 567 90 chr1 345 600 20 chr1 430 619 21.78 chr1 870 910 112.3 chr1 914 920 12 chr1 930 999 13 My output would be peak1 20 22 23 33.5 90 peak2 20 21.78 112.3 12 13 Here the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing values only in 3rd column and 4th column

#cat file testing test! nipw asdkjasjdk ok! what !ok host server1 check_ssh_disk!102.56.1.101!30!50!/ other host server 2 des check_ssh_disk!192.6.1.10!40!30!/ #grep check file| awk -F! '{print $3,$4}'|awk '{gsub($1,"",$1)}1' 50 30 # Output: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solution for replacement of 4th column with 3rd column in a file using awk/sed preserving delimters

input "A","B","C,D","E","F" "S","T","U,V","W","X" "AA","BB","CC,DD","EEEE","FFF" required output: "A","B","C,D","C,D","F" "S", T","U,V","U,V","X" "AA","BB","CC,DD","CC,DD","FFF" tried using awk but double quotes not preserving for every field. any help to solve this is much... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khblts
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to compare 3rd column value with first column and display

Hello Team, My source data (INput) is like below EPIC1 router EPIC2 Targetdefinition Exp1 Expres rtr1 Router SQL SrcQual Exp1 Expres rtr1 Router EPIC1 Targetdefinition My output like SQL SrcQual Exp1 Expres Exp1 Expres rtr1 Router rtr1 Router EPIC1 Targetdefinition... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekhar.lsb
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to search for a word in column header that fully matches the word not partially in awk?

I have a multicolumn text file with header in the first row like this The headers are stored in an array called . which contains I want to search for each elements of this array from that multicolumn text file. And I am using this awk approach for ii in ${hdr} do gawk -vcol="$ii" -F... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Atta
1 Replies
STRLCPY(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						STRLCPY(3)

NAME
strlcpy, strlcat -- size-bounded string copying and concatenation LIBRARY
Utility functions from BSD systems (libbsd, -lbsd) SYNOPSIS
#include <bsd/string.h> size_t strlcpy(char *dst, const char *src, size_t size); size_t strlcat(char *dst, const char *src, size_t size); DESCRIPTION
The strlcpy() and strlcat() functions copy and concatenate strings respectively. They are designed to be safer, more consistent, and less error prone replacements for strncpy(3) and strncat(3). Unlike those functions, strlcpy() and strlcat() take the full size of the buffer (not just the length) and guarantee to NUL-terminate the result (as long as size is larger than 0 or, in the case of strlcat(), as long as there is at least one byte free in dst). Note that a byte for the NUL should be included in size. Also note that strlcpy() and strlcat() only operate on true ``C'' strings. This means that for strlcpy() src must be NUL-terminated and for strlcat() both src and dst must be NUL- terminated. The strlcpy() function copies up to size - 1 characters from the NUL-terminated string src to dst, NUL-terminating the result. The strlcat() function appends the NUL-terminated string src to the end of dst. It will append at most size - strlen(dst) - 1 bytes, NUL- terminating the result. RETURN VALUES
The strlcpy() and strlcat() functions return the total length of the string they tried to create. For strlcpy() that means the length of src. For strlcat() that means the initial length of dst plus the length of src. While this may seem somewhat confusing, it was done to make truncation detection simple. Note, however, that if strlcat() traverses size characters without finding a NUL, the length of the string is considered to be size and the destination string will not be NUL-terminated (since there was no space for the NUL). This keeps strlcat() from running off the end of a string. In practice this should not happen (as it means that either size is incorrect or that dst is not a proper ``C'' string). The check exists to prevent potential security problems in incorrect code. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment illustrates the simple case: char *s, *p, buf[BUFSIZ]; ... (void)strlcpy(buf, s, sizeof(buf)); (void)strlcat(buf, p, sizeof(buf)); To detect truncation, perhaps while building a pathname, something like the following might be used: char *dir, *file, pname[MAXPATHLEN]; ... if (strlcpy(pname, dir, sizeof(pname)) >= sizeof(pname)) goto toolong; if (strlcat(pname, file, sizeof(pname)) >= sizeof(pname)) goto toolong; Since it is known how many characters were copied the first time, things can be sped up a bit by using a copy instead of an append: char *dir, *file, pname[MAXPATHLEN]; size_t n; ... n = strlcpy(pname, dir, sizeof(pname)); if (n >= sizeof(pname)) goto toolong; if (strlcpy(pname + n, file, sizeof(pname) - n) >= sizeof(pname) - n) goto toolong; However, one may question the validity of such optimizations, as they defeat the whole purpose of strlcpy() and strlcat(). As a matter of fact, the first version of this manual page got it wrong. SEE ALSO
snprintf(3), strncat(3), strncpy(3) HISTORY
The strlcpy() and strlcat() functions first appeared in OpenBSD 2.4, and made their appearance in FreeBSD 3.3. BSD
May 31, 2007 BSD