Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Swap words using sed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Swap words using sed Post 302794183 by durden_tyler on Monday 15th of April 2013 11:08:44 AM
Old 04-15-2013
... couldn't align the words properly...

Last edited by durden_tyler; 04-15-2013 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: The forum software messes up the vertical line positions and also the word spacing...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed [delete everything between two words]

Hi, I have the following codes below that aims to delete every words between two pattern word. Say I have the files To delete every word between WISH_LIST=" and " I used the below codes (but its not working): #!/bin/sh sed ' /WISH_LIST=\"/ { N /\n.*\"/ {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search two words in sed

I've following sed command working fine - sed '/search_pattern1/ !s/pattern1/pattern2/" file Now, I want to search two patterns - search_pattern1 and search_pattern2 . How can put these into above sed statement ? Thanks in advance. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajitkumar2
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

swap words in a line with sed

Hello. There is something I can not manage : I want to swap the first word with the third one in every line. No file is given the input is read from the keyboard. I know I have to use sed, but it seems this is too complicated for me. Could you help me please ? Thanks, atticus (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: atticus
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed append words

Hi all, I have a file like one two three for five six seven eight ..... Actually i need to append a label to the words that belong to the 2 column and get: one two_label three for five six_label seven eight .... I was trying with sed inside vim but I can't figure out... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Swap lines using sed

Hi, I have to swap two consecutive line using sed in a file. My text to swap is available in the file x.pl #Create & map a common work library if (!(-e "../work")) { system ("vlib work ../work"); system ("vmap work ../work"); } system ("vsimsa -do thiagu_dec.do"); In this i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adharmalingam
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - delete words between two possible words

Hi all, I want to make an script using sed that removes everything between 'begin' (including the line that has it) and 'end1' or 'end2', not removing this line. Let me paste an 2 examples: anything before any string begin few lines of content end1 anything after anything before any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meuser
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data b/w two words using sed

Hi, I want to extract data b/w two words with the help of sed.. Eg: In "Anna said that she would fetch the bucket", I want to display data b/w "Anna" and "would" O/P: said that she I have tried with below code, but unable to get desired o/p echo "Anna said that she would fetch the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed swap lines

Hi, I think it is possible with sed, but I'm not sure... I've a file that contains some text and filenames: gtk-media-pause | CB60471-05 - Gilbert, Brantley - Country Must Be Country Wide.zip | 8175 | /home/floris/Muziek/Karaoke/1341838939/CB60471-05 - Gilbert, Brantley - Country Must Be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkfloris
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reverse words with sed

Hi guys, I'm wondering what the best way would be to reverse words in a string based on certain characters. For example: echo Word1Word2Word3Word4 | sed ' /\n/ !G s/\(Word.\)\(.*\n\)/&\2\1/ //D ' This returns: Word4Word3Word2Word1 I'm no sed expert but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to swap to words in a file?

Hi, I have a file with certain lines in it. i want to swap every occurance of word A with B and every occurrance of word B with A. Example file.txt Unix is a great OS. Linux support graphical user intrface. unix and linux are both same. Output file.txt Linux is a great OS. Unix... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
5 Replies
PT-ALIGN(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      PT-ALIGN(1p)

NAME
pt-align - Align output from other tools to columns. SYNOPSIS
Usage: pt-align [FILES] pt-align aligns output from other tools to columns. If no FILES are specified, STDIN is read. If a tool prints the following output, DATABASE TABLE ROWS foo bar 100 long_db_name table 1 another long_name 500 then pt-align reprints the output as, DATABASE TABLE ROWS foo bar 100 long_db_name table 1 another long_name 500 RISKS
The following section is included to inform users about the potential risks, whether known or unknown, of using this tool. The two main categories of risks are those created by the nature of the tool (e.g. read-only tools vs. read-write tools) and those created by bugs. pt-align is a read-only tool. It should be very low-risk. At the time of this release, we know of no bugs that could cause serious harm to users. The authoritative source for updated information is always the online issue tracking system. Issues that affect this tool will be marked as such. You can see a list of such issues at the following URL: http://www.percona.com/bugs/pt-align <http://www.percona.com/bugs/pt- align>. See also "BUGS" for more information on filing bugs and getting help. DESCRIPTION
pt-align reads lines and splits them into words. It counts how many words each line has, and if there is one number that predominates, it assumes this is the number of words in each line. Then it discards all lines that don't have that many words, and looks at the 2nd line that does. It assumes this is the first non-header line. Based on whether each word looks numeric or not, it decides on column alignment. Finally, it goes through and decides how wide each column should be, and then prints them out. This is useful for things like aligning the output of vmstat or iostat so it is easier to read. OPTIONS
This tool does not have any command-line options. ENVIRONMENT
This tool does not use any environment variables. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
You need Perl, and some core packages that ought to be installed in any reasonably new version of Perl. BUGS
For a list of known bugs, see http://www.percona.com/bugs/pt-align <http://www.percona.com/bugs/pt-align>. Please report bugs at https://bugs.launchpad.net/percona-toolkit <https://bugs.launchpad.net/percona-toolkit>. Include the following information in your bug report: o Complete command-line used to run the tool o Tool "--version" o MySQL version of all servers involved o Output from the tool including STDERR o Input files (log/dump/config files, etc.) If possible, include debugging output by running the tool with "PTDEBUG"; see "ENVIRONMENT". DOWNLOADING
Visit http://www.percona.com/software/percona-toolkit/ <http://www.percona.com/software/percona-toolkit/> to download the latest release of Percona Toolkit. Or, get the latest release from the command line: wget percona.com/get/percona-toolkit.tar.gz wget percona.com/get/percona-toolkit.rpm wget percona.com/get/percona-toolkit.deb You can also get individual tools from the latest release: wget percona.com/get/TOOL Replace "TOOL" with the name of any tool. AUTHORS
Baron Schwartz, Brian Fraser, and Daniel Nichter ABOUT PERCONA TOOLKIT
This tool is part of Percona Toolkit, a collection of advanced command-line tools developed by Percona for MySQL support and consulting. Percona Toolkit was forked from two projects in June, 2011: Maatkit and Aspersa. Those projects were created by Baron Schwartz and developed primarily by him and Daniel Nichter, both of whom are employed by Percona. Visit <http://www.percona.com/software/> for more software developed by Percona. COPYRIGHT, LICENSE, AND WARRANTY This program is copyright 2010-2011 Baron Schwartz, 2011-2012 Percona Inc. Feedback and improvements are welcome. THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, version 2; OR the Perl Artistic License. On UNIX and similar systems, you can issue `man perlgpl' or `man perlartistic' to read these licenses. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA. VERSION
pt-align 2.1.2 perl v5.14.2 2012-06-15 PT-ALIGN(1p)