Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH script to parse XML and generate CSV Post 302794075 by bhaskar_m on Monday 15th of April 2013 05:48:49 AM
Old 04-15-2013
BASH script to parse XML and generate CSV

Hi All,

Hope all you are doing good! Need your help. I have an XML file which needs to be converted CSV file. I am not an expert of awk/sed so your help is highly appreciated!!

XML file looks like this:

Code:
<l:event dateTime="2013-03-13 07:15:54.713" layerName="OSB" processName="ABC" eventType="END" eventStatus="SUCCESS" eventCode="" outboundServiceName="" serverHostIP="*******" applicationID="someapp" providerID="****" originatorIP="A.B.C.D" SOAConsumerTransactionID="" SOATransactionID="2f9bbaf6-ae21-41ab-925a-998a5efd82a0"><xml:changeEligibleTariff_1Response xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xml="http://soa.o2.ie/xml__1_0"><xml:result><cor:statusCode xmlns:cor="http://soa.o2.ie/coredata_1_0">mt-22-6001-W</cor:statusCode><cor:externalDescription xmlns:cor="http://soa.o2.ie/coredata_1_0">Partial Success.The Request is under process.</cor:externalDescription></xml:result><xml:tariffCode>52</xml:tariffCode><xml:transactionId>5850034</xml:transactionId><xml:msisdn>353867877726</xml:msisdn><xml:subscriberType>PREPAY</xml:subscriberType><xml:accountNumber>229951060</xml:accountNumber><xml:channelIdentifier>SOMEAPP</xml:channelIdentifier><xml:agentIdentifier>SOMEAPP</xml:agentIdentifier></xml:changeEligibleTariff_1Response>
</l:event>

and the generated CSV looks like:

Code:
2013-03-13 07:15:54.713,2f9bbaf6-ae21-41ab-925a-998a5efd82a0,52,5850034,229951060,mt-22-6002-W,Partial Success.The Request is under process.,SOMEAPP

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Bhaskar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

generate xml from a shell script

Hello! I would like to generate an xml file from the output of various commands generated from within a shell script (some will be in CDATA). At the moment the only solution I have come up with is echoing xml tags around the commands eg. echo "<bitism>" >> outputfile /usr/sbin/prtconf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: speedieB
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse XML file into CSV with shell?

Hi, It's been a few years since college when I did stuff like this all the time. Can someone help me figure out how to best tackle this problem? I need to parse a file full of entries that look like this: <eq action="A" sectyType="0" symbol="PGR" exch="CA" curr="VEF" sess="NORM"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pcushing
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issue while using xsltproc tp parse XML in bash

I have written a bash script which opens a folder, reads all the *.xml files in it, and pulls the required data that i need from XML tags. I am using xsltproc (my xsl name) (my xml folder location/*.xml) and running this in a for each loop The problem is that some XML files are having special... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivashankar.g
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Parse XML from bash script

I am completely new to bash scripting and now need to write a bash script that would parse a XML file and take out values from specific tags. I tried using xsltproc, xml_grep commands. But the issue is that the XML i am trying to parse is not UTF 8. so those commands are unable to parse my XML's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivashankar.g
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read and parse the content of csv file containing # as delimeter into fields using Bash?

#!/bin/bash i=0 cat 1.csv | while read fileline do echo "$fileline" IFS="#" flds=( $fileline ) nrofflds=${#flds} echo "noof fields$nrofflds" fld=0 while do echo "noof counter$fld" echo "$nrofflds" #fld1="${flds}" trying to store the content of line to fields but i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barani75
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate csv file

Hello; I need to generate a csv file that contains a list of all the files in a particular server (from the root directory ie: \) that have a permission stamp of 777. I would like to create the csv so that it contains the following: server name, file name, full path name where file exists,... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract and parse XML data (statistic value) to csv

Hi All, I need to parse some statistic data from the "measInfo" -eg. 25250000 (as highlighted) and return the result into line by line, and erasing all other unnecessary info/tag. Thought of starting with grep "measInfoID="25250000" but this only returns 1 line. How do I get all the output... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackma
8 Replies

8. Programming

How to write a java program that will parse through an XML file and generate a report?

I'm pretty new to Java and I am trying to write a program that will pick up a file from a windows directory adn parse through the XML file to produce a report that will show a total item count and a total paid amount. Any one have any suggestions? Trying to figure out where to start... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: risarose87
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate csv file

Dears, I am new in shell world and I need your help in this, I have to create a report based on the output file generated by another program. I want to write a shell script for this. The output file generated every 15 minutes but i can’t open it until the end of day so the script will get the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul2020
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate .csv file

Dears,I need your help in this, I have to create a report based on the output file generated by another program. I want to write a shell script for this. The output file generated every 15 minutes but i can’t open it until the end of day so the script will get the file as an input the file will be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul2020
8 Replies
CSV(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  CSV(3pm)

NAME
XML::CSV - Perl extension converting CSV files to XML SYNOPSIS
use XML::CSV; $csv_obj = XML::CSV->new(); $csv_obj = XML::CSV->new(\%attr); $status = $csv_obj->parse_doc(file_name); $status = $csv_obj->parse_doc(file_name, \%attr); $csv_obj->declare_xml(\%attr); $csv_obj->declare_doctype(\%attr); $csv_obj->print_xml(file_name, \%attr); DESCRIPTION
XML::CSV is a new module in is going to be upgraded very often as my time permits. For the time being it uses CSV_XS module object default values to parse the (*.csv) document and then creates a perl data structure with xml tags names and data. At this point it does not allow for a write as you parse interface but is the first upgrade for the next release. I will also allow more access to the data structures and more documentation. I will also put in more support for XML, since currently it only allows a simple XML structure. Currently you can modify the tag structure to allow for attributes. No DTD support is currently available, but will be implemented in a soon coming release. As the module will provide both: object and event interfaces, it will be used upon individual needs, system resources, and required performance. Ofcourse the DOM implementation takes up more resources and in some instances timing, it's the easiest to use. ATTRIBUTES new() error_out - Turn on the error handling which will die on all errors and assign the error message to $XML::CSV::csvxml_error. column_headings - Specifies the column heading to use. Passed as an array reference. Can be used as a supplement to using the first column in the file as the XML tag names. Since XML::CSV does not require you to parse the CSV file, you can provide your own data structure to parse. column_data - Specifies the CSV data in a two dimensional array. Passed as an array reference. csv_xs - Specifies the CSV_XS object to use. This is used to create custom CSV_XS object and override the default one created by XML::CSV. ATTRIBUTES parse_doc() headings - Specifies the number of rows to use as tag names. Defaults to 0. Ex. {headings => 1} (This will use the first row of data as xml tags) sub_char - Specifies the character with which the illegal tag characters will be replaced with. Defaults to undef meaning no substitution is done. To eliminate characters use "" (empty string) or to replace with another see below. Ex. {sub_char => "_"} or {sub_char => ""} ATTRIBUTES declare_xml() version - Specifies the xml version. Ex. {version => '1.0'} encoding - Specifies the type of encoding. XML standard defaults encoding to 'UTF-8' if notspecifically set. Ex. {encoding => 'ISO-8859_1'} standalone - Specifies the the document as standalone (yes|no). If the document is does not rely on an external DTD, DTD is internal, or the external DTD does not effect the contents of the document, the standalone attribute should be set to 'yes', otherwise 'no' should be used. For more info see XML declaration documentation. Ex. {standalone => 'yes'} ATTRIBUTES declare_doctype() source - Specifies the source of the DTD (SYSTEM|PUBLIC) Ex. {source => 'SYSTEM'} location1 - URI to the DTD file. Public ID may be used if source is PUBLIC. Ex. {location1 => 'http://www.xmlproj.com/dtd/index_dtd.dtd'} or {location1 => '-//Netscape Communications//DTD RSS 0.90//EN'} location2 - Optional second URI. Usually used if the location1 public ID is not found by the validating parser. Ex. {location2 => 'http://www.xmlproj.com/file.dtd'} subset - Any other information that proceedes the DTD declaration. Usually includes internal DTD if any. Ex. {subset => 'ELEMENT first_name (#PCDATA)> <!ELEMENT last_name (#PCDATA)>'} You can even enterpolate the string with $obj->{column_headings} to dynamically build the DTD. Ex. {subset => "ELEMENT $obj->{columnt_headings}[0] (#PCDATA)>"} ATTRIBUTES print_xml() file_tag - Specifies the file parent tag. Defaults to "records". Ex. {file_tag => "file_data"} (Do not use < and > when specifying) parent_tag - Specifies the record parent tag. Defaults to "record". Ex. {parent_tag => "record_data"} (Do not use < and > when specifying) format - Specifies the character to use to indent nodes. Defaults to " " (tab). Ex. {format => " "} or {format => " "} PUBLIC VARIABLES
$csv_obj->{column_headings} $csv_obj->{column_data} EXAMPLES
Example #1: This is a simple implementation which uses defaults use XML::CSV; $csv_obj = XML::CSV->new(); $csv_obj->parse_doc("in_file.csv", {headings => 1}); $csv_obj->print_xml("out.xml"); Example #2: This example uses a passed headings array reference which is used along with the parsed data. use XML::CSV; $csv_obj = XML::CSV->new(); $csv_obj->{column_headings} = @arr_of_headings; $csv_obj->parse_doc("in_file.csv"); $csv_obj->print_xml("out.xml", {format => " ", file_tag = "xml_file", parent_tag => "record"}); Example #3: First it passes a reference to a array with column headings and then a reference to two dimensional array of data where the first index represents the row number and the second column number. We also pass a custom Text::CSV_XS object to overwrite the default object. This is usefull for creating your own CSV_XS object's args before using the parse_doc() method. See 'perldoc Text::CSV_XS' for different new() attributes. use XML::CSV; $default_obj_xs = Text::CSV_XS->new({quote_char => '"'}); $csv_obj = XML::CSV->new({csv_xs => $default_obj_xs}); $csv_obj->{column_headings} = @arr_of_headings; $csv_obj->{column_data} = @arr_of_data; $csv_obj->print_xml("out.xml"); AUTHOR
Ilya Sterin, isterin@mail.com SEE ALSO
Text::CSV_XS perl v5.10.0 2001-05-28 CSV(3pm)