Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading in two lines at once from a text file Post 302793935 by RudiC on Sunday 14th of April 2013 02:23:06 PM
Old 04-14-2013
You don't mention the shell that you are using (although we might infer it being bourneish). Should it be a modern one (bash, ksh), try running the script with the -x option. In bash, set sth will set positional parameters, not assign variables. If you want to assign variables, don't use spaces around the = sign. I don't know any command that is related/similar to your usage of the @ char.
And, using awkanyway, why don't you get the job done entirely in awk, as scrutinizer pointed out?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading lines within a Unix file.

I have a file that has a list of numbers in it. Each line has a different number. I am trying to create some sort of loop within a script that will pick the numbers up on lines 1 and 2 and then put those figures into the script. It then goes through the process then loops back and reads lines 2 and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariner
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

skip reading certain lines in a file

How can I exclude reading lines in a file that contains the following: filesystem:/home/pach/liv_patches 128005120 88456640 37270758 71% /home/patches That is, all lines that contain and begins with filesystem: should not be processed/read from a file (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paulsew
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with reading text file

How can i have a while loop as follows while read inputline do <task> done < name_list and also store the values (delimited) on each line to temp variables so as to print them on screen as follows while read inputline do set name | cut -d "," -f1 name_list # #i know this is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bilal05
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading alternate lines of a file

hi, i have 2 files. file1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 file2: a b c d e f g h i (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyaj
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

skip lines while reading a file

Hi Experts, I am tryin to read a file and while doing so i need to skip the lines which start with a hash (#) char. I thought of using a goto command but a lot of guys on this site say its not the good way to program. Moreover I am using a ksh shell which deos not support goto command. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankimmehta
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding reading lines into a new file

Hi all, I jut use a loop to read lines from the user and redirect it to a file. echo "Enter the line" while read -r LINE do echo $LINE >> FILE if ;then break fi done input app... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple lines in a file

Hello, I am new in shell scripting. I need help regarding following. I have 4 files generated by backups daily. I have stored the names of these 4 files into one file. i.e I have 4 files names as a, b, c & d and these names have been put into one file abcd.txt. Now I want to cat each file in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ali Sarwar
7 Replies

9. Programming

How to write in other language in text/xml file by reading english text/xml file using C++?

Hello Team, I have 2 files.one contains english text and another contains Japanese. so i have to read english text and replace the text with Japanesh text in third file. Basically, I need a help to write japanese language in text/xml file.I heard wstring does this.Not sure how do i write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)