Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Which system is faster?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Which system is faster? Post 302793913 by SkySmart on Sunday 14th of April 2013 12:58:06 PM
Old 04-14-2013
thanks everyone. looks like HOSTA is winning out here. and yoda thanks for the hyperthreading information!!!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Mandrake should be faster.

For some reason 8.1 Mandrake Linux seems much slower than Windows 2000 with my cable modem. DSL reports test says they conferable speed with Windows2 though. This is consistant slow with both of my boxes, at the same time. Linux used to be faster, but not with Mandrake. Any way to fix this? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancest
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

faster way to loop?

Sample Log file IP.address Date&TimeStamp GET/POST URL ETC 123.45.67.89 MMDDYYYYHHMM GET myURL http://ABC.com 123.45.67.90 MMDDYYYYHHMM GET myURL http://XYZ.com I have a very huge web server log file (about 1.3GB) that contains entries like the one above. I need to get the last entries of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tads98
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Faster then cp ?

Hi , I need to copy every day about 35GB of files from one file system to another. Im using the cp command and its toke me about 25 min. I also tried to use dd command but its toke much more. Is there better option ? Regards. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep faster ?

Hi I have to grep for 2000 strings in a file one after the other.Say the file name is Snxx.out which has these strings. I have to search for all the strings in the file Snxx.out one after the other. What is the fastest way to do it ?? Note:The current grep process is taking lot of time per... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which command will be faster? y?

i)wc -c/etc/passwd|awk'{print $1}' ii)ls -al/etc/passwd|awk'{print $5}' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why is RAID0 faster?

I have read anecdotes about people installing RAID0 (RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) on some of their machines because it gives a performance boost. Because bandwidth on the motherboard is limited, can someone explain exactly why it should be faster? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help in faster and quicker grepping

Hi, i have a log file of 8 GB size , i need to grep the count of a word which i give as an input , i mean to say to find the occurance of a word on that file. grep is taking too much time ,can you please give me any command so that i can grep the word in a quicker way.. thanks, ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works, but I think it could be better and faster

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and to bash scripting. I did some stuff with VB.net, Batch, and VBScripting in the past, but because I shifted over to Linux, I am learning to script in Bash at this moment. So bear with me if I seem to script like a newbie, that's just because I am ;-) OK, I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cornelvis
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help finding a video faster

Is there a way to make this search faster? It takes about 30 minutes. Its a video so I figured I could say larger than 100 MB. It contains Mark so I added name. What else could I do to make the search faster? find / -type f -name "*Mark*" -size +100M 2>/dev/null (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies
pioneers-editor(6)						   Games Manual 						pioneers-editor(6)

NAME
pioneers-editor - Editor for the Pioneers boardgame SYNOPSIS
pioneers-editor [filename] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the pioneers-editor command. Pioneers is an implementation of the popular, award-winning "Settlers of Catan" board game for the GNOME desktop environment. It uses a client/server model for networked play of between two and eight players. You will need to connect to a machine running either pioneers- server-gtk or pioneers-server-console to play. An AI client, pioneersai, is also available. Pioneers-editor can be used to create new board layouts. Clicking on the plus and minus signs on the side of the board will increase and decrease the board size respectively. Left clicking on a tile allows one to select the terrain type; Middle or right clicking allows one to set the chit number or port type and orientation. The chit number can also be set by pressing the number key(s) while the pointer is hovering over the tile. In the settings tab, several game settings can be adjusted. PLAYING
Games created with pioneers-editor can be played with pioneers-server-gtk and pioneers-server-console, if they are installed in the global game directory. Alternatively, they can be played with pioneers-server-console, by using the --file option. OPTIONS
Pioneers-editor accepts the standard GTK+/GNOME commandline options. See pioneers-editor --help for details. FILES
/usr/share/games/pioneers/*.game Global game files. Games which are installed here can be selected by title, and played from pioneers-server-gtk. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bas Wijnen <shevek@fmf.nl>. Pioneers was written by Dave Cole <dave@dccs.com.au>, Andy Heroff <aheroff@mediaone.net>, and Roman Hodek <roman@hodek.net>, with contributions from many other developers on the Internet; see the AUTHORS file in the pioneers distribution for a complete list of contributing authors. SEE ALSO
pioneers(6), pioneers-server-gtk(6), pioneers-server-console(6), pioneersai(6) pioneers January 8, 2012 pioneers-editor(6)