Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Which system is faster?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Which system is faster? Post 302793867 by alister on Sunday 14th of April 2013 09:21:57 AM
Old 04-14-2013
The only way to know which system will be faster at running your workload is to benchmark them using your workload.

For what it's worth (which isn't much), the first thing that jumps out at me from the OP is the cache differential. Cache misses are awfully expensive.

It's been over 15 years since I first encountered it, but the word "bogomips" still makes me chuckle a bit.

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Mandrake should be faster.

For some reason 8.1 Mandrake Linux seems much slower than Windows 2000 with my cable modem. DSL reports test says they conferable speed with Windows2 though. This is consistant slow with both of my boxes, at the same time. Linux used to be faster, but not with Mandrake. Any way to fix this? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancest
17 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

faster way to loop?

Sample Log file IP.address Date&TimeStamp GET/POST URL ETC 123.45.67.89 MMDDYYYYHHMM GET myURL http://ABC.com 123.45.67.90 MMDDYYYYHHMM GET myURL http://XYZ.com I have a very huge web server log file (about 1.3GB) that contains entries like the one above. I need to get the last entries of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tads98
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Faster then cp ?

Hi , I need to copy every day about 35GB of files from one file system to another. Im using the cp command and its toke me about 25 min. I also tried to use dd command but its toke much more. Is there better option ? Regards. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep faster ?

Hi I have to grep for 2000 strings in a file one after the other.Say the file name is Snxx.out which has these strings. I have to search for all the strings in the file Snxx.out one after the other. What is the fastest way to do it ?? Note:The current grep process is taking lot of time per... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which command will be faster? y?

i)wc -c/etc/passwd|awk'{print $1}' ii)ls -al/etc/passwd|awk'{print $5}' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why is RAID0 faster?

I have read anecdotes about people installing RAID0 (RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) on some of their machines because it gives a performance boost. Because bandwidth on the motherboard is limited, can someone explain exactly why it should be faster? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help in faster and quicker grepping

Hi, i have a log file of 8 GB size , i need to grep the count of a word which i give as an input , i mean to say to find the occurance of a word on that file. grep is taking too much time ,can you please give me any command so that i can grep the word in a quicker way.. thanks, ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
16 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script works, but I think it could be better and faster

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and to bash scripting. I did some stuff with VB.net, Batch, and VBScripting in the past, but because I shifted over to Linux, I am learning to script in Bash at this moment. So bear with me if I seem to script like a newbie, that's just because I am ;-) OK, I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cornelvis
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help finding a video faster

Is there a way to make this search faster? It takes about 30 minutes. Its a video so I figured I could say larger than 100 MB. It contains Mark so I added name. What else could I do to make the search faster? find / -type f -name "*Mark*" -size +100M 2>/dev/null (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies
Cache::FileCache(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Cache::FileCache(3pm)

NAME
Cache::FileCache -- implements the Cache interface. DESCRIPTION
The FileCache class implements the Cache interface. This cache stores data in the filesystem so that it can be shared between processes. SYNOPSIS
use Cache::FileCache; my $cache = new Cache::FileCache( { 'namespace' => 'MyNamespace', 'default_expires_in' => 600 } ); See Cache::Cache for the usage synopsis. METHODS
See Cache::Cache for the API documentation. Clear( [$cache_root] ) See Cache::Cache, with the optional $cache_root parameter. Purge( [$cache_root] ) See Cache::Cache, with the optional $cache_root parameter. Size( [$cache_root] ) See Cache::Cache, with the optional $cache_root parameter. OPTIONS
See Cache::Cache for standard options. Additionally, options are set by passing in a reference to a hash containing any of the following keys: cache_root The location in the filesystem that will hold the root of the cache. Defaults to the 'FileCache' under the OS default temp directory ( often '/tmp' on UNIXes ) unless explicitly set. cache_depth The number of subdirectories deep to cache object item. This should be large enough that no cache directory has more than a few hundred objects. Defaults to 3 unless explicitly set. directory_umask The directories in the cache on the filesystem should be globally writable to allow for multiple users. While this is a potential security concern, the actual cache entries are written with the user's umask, thus reducing the risk of cache poisoning. If you desire it to only be user writable, set the 'directory_umask' option to '077' or similar. Defaults to '000' unless explicitly set. PROPERTIES
See Cache::Cache for default properties. (get|set)_cache_root See the definition above for the option cache_root (get|set)_cache_depth See the definition above for the option cache_depth (get|set)_directory_umask See the definition above for the option directory_umask SEE ALSO
Cache::Cache AUTHOR
Original author: DeWitt Clinton <dewitt@unto.net> Last author: $Author: dclinton $ Copyright (C) 2001-2003 DeWitt Clinton perl v5.12.4 2009-03-01 Cache::FileCache(3pm)