Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Logrotate - I am not able to rotate files using logrotate Post 302793595 by hanson44 on Friday 12th of April 2013 04:06:36 PM
Old 04-12-2013
Do you get an error message?

Have you tried --verbose option?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logrotate isn't rotating files any longer

I have been using logrotate for quite awhile now. Most logs are rotated daily, using /etc/cron.daily. I noticed that the logs in question have not been rotated since April 6, but daily up to that point. I have logrotate in /etc/cron.daily. The basic command is: /usr/sbin/logrotate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manouche
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logrotate with /etc/logrotate.conf file

Hi there, I want to rotate the logfiles which are located in /var/log/jboss/tomcat* so I have created a file named as 'tomat' in /etc/logrotate.d/tomcat with the following content. # cat /etc/logrotate.d/tomcat /var/log/jboss/tomcat_access_log*.log { daily nocreate ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skmdu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to logrotate log files

Hi, I have written a script that runs every five minutes in cron schedular. The Operating system is Fedora core 9. This script generates 2 log files, these log file size is increasing as some log data is being dumped into these 2 log files every five minutes. I need to logrotate these 2 files.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: renuka
1 Replies

4. Linux

Using logrotate to trim files that are created every 15 mins

I have an application (puppet) that generates report files every 15 minutes in the format: /var/lib/puppet/reports/hostname.fqdn/report-201007221515.yaml /var/lib/puppet/reports/hostname.fqdn/report-201007221530.yaml .. I only really need to keep one days worth of these reports and am trying... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aussieos
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

logrotate ignore 'rotate' setting.

the 'rotate' setting in my logrotate configurations is being ignored when run from the crontab. I have tested my configurations using the "-d" option, the rotation count is working when I do the test. Here are my configuration settings, is there anything I am doing wrong? # cat -n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkoenen
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Logrotate not removing old files

Hi Guys, Need some help with the logrotate for one of our servers. I had setup a logrotation so that all files that go under old/ folder should be removed after one week. The log files are rotated daily from the main folder to old/ folder. (everything on one server) Below is the sample I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rotate modsec log with logrotate in the global configuration

Hello Experts, I have an apache 2.2.17 on solaris 10 that I am not sure if I, could list the following in the global settings in httpd.conf. I tested it in the Virtual host section of httpd.conf and, it works but, not sure if I can do it in the global settings. Any help would be greatly... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: afadaghi
0 Replies

8. Debian

Logrotate truncated my log files to 0 bytes and no logs are written

Hi, Yesterday I installed and configured logrotate on my Debian machine. I was expecting this to run at 06:25 in the morning and it actually did. All my old logs were compressed and zipped but the new logs were all with size equal to 0 bytes. Processes, while still running ok, they were not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmatsinopoulos
2 Replies

9. AIX

Logrotate - /etc/logrotate.conf does't exist

Hi Admins. I have installed logrotate rpm on Aix 6.1. After the installation of rpm, I don't find /etc/logrotate.conf file and /etc/logrotate.d dir . The config file is located in /opt/freeware/etc/logrotate.conf. When I ran logrotate -v /opt/freeware/etc/logrotate.conf I get below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Logrotate and Compressing only yesterdays files

Hello, I have a syslog server at home and am currently experiencing an issue where my logs will rotate and compress however it will rotate and compress yesterdays file and the newly created log file for the current day. When it does this however it will also create another new file for today... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyUserName7000
9 Replies
Usage(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						Usage(3pm)

NAME
pod2usage - print a usage message using a script's embedded pod documentation SYNOPSIS
use PDL::Pod::Usage; pod2usage(); pod2usage(2); pod2usage({EXIT => 2}); pod2usage({EXIT => 2, VERBOSE => 0}); pod2usage(EXIT => 1, VERBOSE => 2, OUTPUT=*STDERR); pod2usage(VERBOSE => 2); DESCRIPTION
pod2usage will print a usage message for the invoking script (using its embedded pod documentation) and then exit the script with the specified exit value. It takes a single argument which is either a numeric value corresponding to the desired exit status (which defaults to 2), or a reference to a hash. If more than one argument is given then the entire argument list is assumed to be a hash. If a hash is supplied it should contain elements with one or more of the following keys: "EXIT" The desired exit status to pass to the exit() function. "VERBOSE" The desired level of "verboseness" to use when printing the usage message. If the corresponding value is 0, then only the "SYNOPSIS" section of the pod documentation is printed. If the corresponding value is 1, then the "SYNOPSIS" section, along with any section entitled "OPTIONS", "ARGUMENTS", or "OPTIONS AND ARGUMENTS" is printed. If the corresponding value is 2 or more then the entire manpage is printed. "OUTPUT" A reference to a filehandle, or the pathname of a file to which the usage message should be written. The default is "*STDERR" unless the exit value is less than 2 (in which case the default is "*STDOUT"). "INPUT" A reference to a filehandle, or the pathname of a file from which the invoking script's pod documentation should be read. It defaults to the file indicated by $0 ($PROGRAM_NAME for "use English;" users). If neither the exit value nor the verbose level is specified, then the default is to use an exit value of 2 with a verbose level of 0. If an exit value is specified but the verbose level is not, then the verbose level will default to 1 if the exit value is less than 2 and will default to 0 otherwise. If a verbose level is specified but an exit value is not, then the exit value will default to 2 if the verbose level is 0 and will default to 1 otherwise. EXAMPLE
Most scripts should print some type of usage message to STDERR when a command line syntax error is detected. They should also provide an option (usually "-h" or "-help") to print a (possibly more verbose) usage message to STDOUT. Some scripts may even wish to go so far as to provide a means of printing their complete documentation to STDOUT (perhaps by allowing a "-man" option). The following example uses pod2usage in combination with Getopt::Long to do all of these things: use PDL::Pod::Usage; use Getopt::Long; GetOptions("help", "man") || pod2usage(2); pod2usage(1) if ($opt_help); pod2usage(VERBOSE => 2) if ($opt_man); CAVEATS
By default, pod2usage() will use $0 as the path to the pod input file. Unfortunately, not all systems on which Perl runs will set $0 properly (although if $0 isn't found, pod2usage() will search $ENV{PATH}). If this is the case for your system, you may need to explicitly specify the path to the pod docs for the invoking script using something similar to the following: o "pod2usage(EXIT => 2, INPUT => "/path/to/your/pod/docs");" AUTHOR
Brad Appleton <Brad_Appleton-GBDA001@email.mot.com> Based on code for Pod::Text::pod2text() written by Tom Christiansen <tchrist@mox.perl.com> perl v5.14.2 2011-03-30 Usage(3pm)