Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pipe output a command to another using xargs Post 302793487 by mahesh113 on Friday 12th of April 2013 12:35:08 PM
Old 04-12-2013
Ubuntu Pipe output a command to another using xargs

xargs work great when a command gives multiple line output which can be input to another. In my case it is not working coz the second command uses two words in it.

$ scr.sh
gives output like

another command takes these number as inputs. it works great when done separately.
$ show data 193740
which gives report on this. I want a full report of all these number.

I tried like this:

$ scr.sh | xargs show data
but it doesn't work. Please provide your inputs on this.Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pipe output to script as command line argument

i want to redirect output of one command as the command line argument of another script for example, say i would run this command: find . -xdev -type f -size +4096 -exec ls -al {} \; i wan to be able to do something like: echo +4096 | find . -xdev -type f -size ****** -exec... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMTheNachoMan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign command (with pipe) output to a variable

Hi , I would like to assign command (with pipe) output to a variable. The code is as follows. The goal of the code is to get the last folder folder with a particular name pattern. myDate=`ls | grep 2009 | tail -1` echo "myDate=" $myDate However, in the presence of the pipe, the code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeff_cen
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there any way of using rm command on output of pipe

Hi, I am having a list of directories with different login id's. My requirement is that i need to list the directories of my id and need to delete them. So i am using following code ls -ltr ¦ grep userid ¦ rm -rf But this is not working. So is there any way of doing it. Please note... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display find results, and pipe to xargs

I have an overnight script which runs across a large directory to repair permissions and ownership. I also have this command output the list of files affected so that cron can email these as a log file. Previously I had the command in the form: find /path/to/files -not -user myname -print -exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mij
4 Replies

5. Programming

difference bewteen pipe, xargs, and exec

I have read several docs on these on the web and looked at examples. I can't figure out the difference. In some cases you use one or the other or you combine them. can someone help me understand this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guessingo
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xargs vs. pipe

I have been using unix on and off for a number of years. I am not a sys admin. I use what I need. I have googled this, but I really can't figure out what is the difference between using xarg and just using a regular pipe? Why do I need to include xarg sometimes and how do I know when I need it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pipe command output to shell script?

Hi Team, Need a help on how to pipe a command out put to a shell script. My shell script looks like below. cat shell_script #!/usr/bin/ksh input =$@ echo " we are inside the shell script" echo " here are the input parameters" .......................... .................. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvkumar25
11 Replies

8. SuSE

Find command doesn't pipe the output as required.

Hi, I am using below code snippet to echo/display the files found (matching a pattern from searchstring.out file) and the corresponding owner. while read j do echo "Pattern to search is:- $j" find / -name "*$j*" |\ while read k do echo "File found is:- $k" owner=$(ls... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vipin Batra
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the output of w command in pipe delimited format

Since output of w command have variable number of columns I want to get the output in pipe delimited format. I tried export OFS="|"; w but that does not work. Any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
4 Replies
lorder(1)						      General Commands Manual							 lorder(1)

NAME
lorder - Finds the best order for member files in an object library SYNOPSIS
lorder file... DESCRIPTION
The lorder command is essentially obsolete. Use the following command in its place: % ar -ts file.a The lorder command reads one or more object or library archive files, looks for external references, and writes a list of paired filenames to standard output. The first of each pair of files contains references to identifiers that are defined in the second file. You can send this list to the tsort command to find an ordering of a library member file suitable for 1-pass access by ld. If object files do not end with lorder overlooks them and attributes their global symbols and references to some other file. EXAMPLES
To create a subroutine library, enter: lorder charin.o scanfld.o scan.o scanln.o | tsort | xargs ar qv libsubs.a (Enter this command entirely on one line, not on two lines as shown above.) This creates a subroutine library named libsubs.a that contains charin.o, scanfld.o, scan.o, and scanln.o. The ordering of the object mod- ules in the library is important. The lorder and tsort commands together add the subroutines to the library in the proper order. Suppose that scan.o calls entry points in scanfld.o and scanln.o. scanfld.o also calls entry points in charin.o. First, the lorder command creates a list of pairs that shows these dependencies: charin.o charin.o scanfld.o scanfld.o scan.o scan.o scanln.o scanln.o scanfld.o charin.o scanln.o charin.o scan.o scanfld.o This list is piped to the tsort command, which converts the list into the ordering that is needed: scan.o scanfld.o scanln.o charin.o Note that each module precedes the module it calls. charin.o, which does not call another module, is last. The second list is then piped to xargs, which constructs and runs the following ar command: ar qv libsubs.a scan.o scanfld.o scanln.o charin.o This ar command creates the properly ordered library. FILES
Temporary files SEE ALSO
Commands: ar(1), as(1), cc(1), ld(1), make(1), nm(1), size(1), strip(1), tsort(1), xargs(1) Files: a.out(4), ar(4) lorder(1)