Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Those simple one liners
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Those simple one liners Post 302793267 by hanson44 on Friday 12th of April 2013 01:20:13 AM
Old 04-12-2013
Yes, sometimes the point seems to be to make a one-liner as short and cryptic as possible. It celebrates the brilliance and creativity of the creator. The reader stands back in awe, in amazement that the one-liner apparently works perfectly, but with only a vague idea of how it works. In contrast, a longer, spelled-out style is often easier to understand and more practical, but may seem pedestrian in comparison.

Maybe it's like the difference between the unpredictable, exciting attacking style of a Mikhail Tal vs the boring, grind-it-out style of a Tigran Petrosian. They both became world chess champion. But which games are more enjoyable to play through? Those of Mikhail Tal.

Of course, the best result is the one-liner that is also very easy to understand. Just like the best chess player is the one who can combine different styles.

Back to work. Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to hanson44 For This Post:

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

invaluable resource for shell one liners and more

Hi all, This link might help whom is seeking a quick solutions for thier daily shell needs. linkAll commands | commandlinefu.com (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - one liners

Guys, I have a requirement like this. A file has >5K records always. Separated by "|", it has 30 fields for each line. In some lines, I am getting an odd field. say, the 15th field is supposed to be 2 characters but comes in as >2. In this case, for resolving this I need to copy the value of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk one liners into a nice script

Hi All, I got some awk one liners, how can i split it all into a nice script? Got these: gzcat capgw0.log-201308161376632741.gz | sed -n '/2013-08-16 05:56:/,/2013-08-16 05:58:/p' > timebased.log awk -F":|," 'FNR==NR && /INFO - AId:/ {a=$0;next} END {for (i in a) print i "|" a}'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: batka
8 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

One liners, quick rant...

Hi fellas and fella-esses... There are numerous threads on here where people ask for, and often expect, solutions to difficult problems solved using _one_liners_. Why do they insist as such when it is virtually no different in execution time with well thought out indented code? Is it me... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
12 Replies
Tk_GetJoinStyle(3)					       Tk Library Procedures						Tk_GetJoinStyle(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_GetJoinStyle, Tk_NameOfJoinStyle - translate between strings and join styles SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> int Tk_GetJoinStyle(interp, string, joinPtr) const char * Tk_NameOfJoinStyle(join) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter to use for error reporting. const char *string (in) String containing name of join style: one of "bevel", "miter", or "round". int *joinPtr (out) Pointer to location in which to store X join style corresponding to string. int join (in) Join style: one of JoinBevel, JoinMiter, JoinRound. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tk_GetJoinStyle places in *joinPtr the X join style corresponding to string, which will be one of JoinBevel, JoinMiter, or JoinRound. Join styles are typically used in X graphics contexts to indicate how adjacent line segments should be joined together. See the X documentation for information on what each style implies. Under normal circumstances the return value is TCL_OK and interp is unused. If string does not contain a valid join style or an abbrevia- tion of one of these names, then an error message is stored in interp->result, TCL_ERROR is returned, and *joinPtr is unmodified. Tk_NameOfJoinStyle is the logical inverse of Tk_GetJoinStyle. Given a join style such as JoinBevel it returns a statically-allocated string corresponding to join. If join is not a legal join style, then "unknown join style" is returned. KEYWORDS
bevel, join style, miter, round Tk Tk_GetJoinStyle(3)