Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to overwrite shell script using vi editor Post 302793005 by kimberlyg2007 on Thursday 11th of April 2013 01:34:23 PM
Old 04-11-2013
Need to overwrite shell script using vi editor

I have an existing shell script that I am trying to modify. I have about 10 lines of info I want to overwrite using text someone emailed to me. I guess what I am trying to do basically is like a copy/paste, but it's not working for me.

I am using Cygwin and vi editor.

I open the script and go into insert mode. I am deleting the lines I don't need by putting the cursor in the line I want gone and typing esc + dd.

I want to paste about 10 lines in of the script that was emailed to me. I use a esc + p to paste, but that command pastes in the lines that I just deleted instead of what I copied from the email.

Is there a way to paste the text from the email into my script?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

a script to clone a dir tree, & overwrite the dir struct elsewhere?

hi all, i'm looking for a bash or tcsh script that will clone an empty dir tree 'over' another tree ... specifically, i'd like to: (1) specify a src directory (2) list the directory tree/hiearchy beneath that src dir, w/o files -- just the dirs (3) clone that same, empty dir hierarchy to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: OpenMacNews
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell scripts without editor

hello, is there a way that i can produce a shell script without using editors.. i want it to be executable by sh.... my problem is that i dont know how to create the script eg. psycho to put the echo inside to output my message... but i dont want to use editor (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychobeauty
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

shell overwrite lines in a file

Hello, I have an external file (file.txt). This shall be a kind of a config file for my shell script. I get the line numbers as to a corresponding entry by grep. Now I would like to substitute the corresponding line from the shell script back to the file and exactly on the same line number. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ACTGADE
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite a running shell script

Hello all, This might be a dumb question...but i am running into this situation. I have a shell script that is currently in running state. It has big sql's in it and will run for few days. What happens if I change the shell now? Eg: a.shl is running and i want to mv b.shl a.shl I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsjdrr
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying a shell script without using an editor

Hi all, I really wan't to know that how to edit a shell script with out using an editor.. Is there any command? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: buddhi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Ex editor commands in a shell script - Help!

Hi all, I am trying to use the Ex editor and its commands in a script - more specifically within an if statement within a while loop. Here are the basics of the loop: cat $file1 | while read line do grep $line $file2 if ] then echo $line > $file2 elseex $file2 /ESI185... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luke222010
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Overwrite a Source Script Variable Value

Hello All, How do i overwrite a sourced script variable value. Sourced Script: GEN_PARAM_LIST4=""$LOG_DIR"/dwh_GenerateXMLFile.lst" GEN_PARAM_LIST4_v2=""$LOG_DIR"/dwh_GenerateXMLFile.v2.lst" I am using below statement for replacing. Script2: &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to overwrite a file

Hi Guys, My requirement as follows, i want to write a shell script to display the files of a folder, i export it to a file to mail the file. The problem is the exported file is getting appended every time I run the script. I just want the file to be over written. can anyone suggest?? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karthick N
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to overwrite & before that keep copy a file on many servers

I have ssh password less auth enable & script does the job well as well #/bin/bash for i in `cat ip` do scp /etc/resolv.conf root@$ip done But I need to take backup of the file i will overwrite .. is there any simple way ? Kindly respond (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
5 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD