Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to set a global alias in UNIX Solaris? Post 302792969 by kshji on Thursday 11th of April 2013 12:11:57 PM
Old 04-11-2013
Code:
# set ENV ex. in the $HOME/.profile
ENV=$HOME/.kshrc
export ENV

Then make $HOME/.kshrc file which include all your commands which you like to execute always when you start new ksh process.

Example $HOME/.kshrc:
Code:
# global function
hellow()
{
  echo "Hello world!"
}

alias dir='ls -al'
date

Then start new ksh process or run script which use ksh. You will see always date output.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

global alias

how do we set global aliases in aix, which will work across different shells? TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbins01
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set alias and ps1 in a script

I am sure this is a newbie question, but I have searched everywhere and cannot find an answer. My situation is that due security constraints, I cannot modify my .profile file. I have a set of fairly common things that would normally go in the .profile, like setting up alias assignments and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SpringRubber
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

global variable not being set

In ksh I thought a global variable was any variable in a script or function that did not have the typeset command. I have a global in my calling script which I increment in a function, but the value does not change in the calling script. Here is the code: function f_open_log { typeset -r... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robotball
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global alias does not work in shell script

Hi Linux Set up - alias ls='ls -l' Then run script #! /bin/ksh sub() { ls } sub Is there any way to get it working. I don't want to define alias inside of the program Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias in solaris

Hi, i need to create a alias in my solaris 10 , i have edited ~/.profile and added like alias c='clear'and exit the terminal and open again and checked to see working or not but it's still not working (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: malickhat
9 Replies

6. Solaris

How to identify a global or non-global Solaris server?

Hi, I have Solaris zone configured with Solaris 9 and 10. In Solaris 10(non global), I use the command “zonename” to get whether it is global or non-global server. For Solaris 9, what command I can use to get whether it is global or non-global server. Regards, Kalai :confused: (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
25 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set global rm command

Hi, My team does not have root access however many a times my members logon to the unix server and fire the rm command mistakenly on wrong folder and later realise that they have made a mess. The rm -i option prompts for a confirmation before actually deleting the files/folders. I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't find where alias is set

I have an alias set on linux: progs -> /home/user01/prog1.pl the location of prog is changes to /home/user01/new/prog1.pl so I need to modify alias, except I can not find where it is set. It is not in .bashrc or .profile, it is visible by "alias" command. Sorry if it is trivial. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to set Global variable outside while loop

Below is my code: count=0 if ... ... else ... find * -prune -type d | sort -r -n | while read d; do count=1 if ; then echo "Count1:$count" ... ... break 2; fi ... done ... fi echo "Count2:$count" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies