Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Percentage calculation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Percentage calculation Post 302792853 by Subbeh on Thursday 11th of April 2013 06:47:28 AM
Old 04-11-2013
try multiplying by 100 first:
Code:
z=$((100*$x/$y))

or alternatively use bc:
Code:
z=$(echo "scale=2 ; ($x/$y*100)" | bc)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

percentage by line

hi, I am new to awk.. and getting used to the scripts. I have a small data set 5 coulms.. 16 rows. 1) I am trying to remove the percentages of each line of colum 3..like first line divided the sum of colum 3 divided by 100 and print it out. removing hte percentages of each line I would really... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockiefx
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk percentage

how would you calculate percentage by per line? Given a column of 16 lines, grab each line and divide it by the sum of the entire column and multiply by 100? thanks ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockiefx
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i calculate percentage ??

i have 3 files like total.dat=18 equal.dat=14 notequal.dat=16 i need find the equal percentange means: equalpercentage = ($equal.dat / $total.dat * 100) How i can do this ? I tried some of the answers to calculate the percentage in this forums.but it couldn't worked.Some one please... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

percentage

How to calculate percentage of two values in unix. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed percentage calculation

Hi all i have a text file with columns delimited with , 2010-08-18,10,24,.09751,39,7,14872,26732 . . . i would to add a extra column in the end with percentage calculation of columns 5 and 8 ie (39/26732)*100 so the output must look like ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: posner
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Percentage Calculation in Decimal

Hi, I have two variable and I need to calculate the percentage of them. Example: (b-a)*100/b How can I do it? I need to do it till 2 decimal point. (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to monitor OS in percentage

Hi, I am looking for generic commands / scripts that could run across platforms especially on HP Itanium boxes to give me % of free OS parameters For eg: Free Total Memory RAM : 20 % Free Total Swap Memory: 35% Free Total CPU utilisation: 44% Free Disk Space: /appl = 55%... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate Percentage

Hello, Ive got a bunch of numbers here e.g: 6065 6094 6348 6297 6161 6377 6338 6290 How do I find out if there is a difference between 10% or more between one of these numbers ? I am trying to do this in Bash.. but no luck so far.. Does anyone have an Idea ?? Thanx, - Pascal... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: denbekker
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Percentage calculation

Hi, I have a text file in below format. I trying to find a solution for finding percentage used for each of the NAMEs. Directory ALLOCATED USED NAME1 93MB 93KB NAME2 25G 62K NAME3 14G 873M NAME4 25G 62K NAME5 20G... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk percentage calculation from a file

i have a file say test with the below mentioned details Folder Name Total space Space used /test/test1 500.1GB 112.0 GB /test/test2 3.2 TB 5TB /test/test3 3TB 100GB i need to calculate percentage of each row based on total space and space used and copy... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkitesh
9 Replies
EXPR(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate arguments as an expression SYNOPSIS
expr arg ... DESCRIPTION
The arguments are taken as an expression. After evaluation, the result is written on the standard output. Each token of the expression is a separate argument. The operators and keywords are listed below. The list is in order of increasing precedence, with equal precedence operators grouped. expr | expr yields the first expr if it is neither null nor `0', otherwise yields the second expr. expr & expr yields the first expr if neither expr is null or `0', otherwise yields `0'. expr relop expr where relop is one of < <= = != >= >, yields `1' if the indicated comparison is true, `0' if false. The comparison is numeric if both expr are integers, otherwise lexicographic. expr + expr expr - expr addition or subtraction of the arguments. expr * expr expr / expr expr % expr multiplication, division, or remainder of the arguments. expr : expr The matching operator compares the string first argument with the regular expression second argument; regular expression syntax is the same as that of ed(1). The (...) pattern symbols can be used to select a portion of the first argument. Otherwise, the matching operator yields the number of characters matched (`0' on failure). ( expr ) parentheses for grouping. Examples: To add 1 to the Shell variable a: a=`expr $a + 1` To find the filename part (least significant part) of the pathname stored in variable a, which may or may not contain `/': expr $a : '.*/(.*)' '|' $a Note the quoted Shell metacharacters. SEE ALSO
ed(1), sh(1), test(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Expr returns the following exit codes: 0 if the expression is neither null nor `0', 1 if the expression is null or `0', 2 for invalid expressions. EXPR(1)