Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Storing multiple file paths in a variable Post 302792637 by cranfordio on Wednesday 10th of April 2013 06:06:14 PM
Old 04-10-2013
Apple

ahamed101,

The number of results I get back will vary from computer to computer, don't I need to know the size of the array before I can use it?

---------- Post updated at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:58 PM ----------

I think I figured it out, but if someone has something better I would like to know. In the echo $OUTPUT line I can do whatever I want with the information.

Code:
OLD_IFS=$IFS
IFS=$'\n'
for OUTPUT in `system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType | grep -w /Applications* | grep -v /Applications/Utilities* | awk '{ print substr($0, index($0,$2)) }'`
do
	echo $OUTPUT
done
IFS=$OLD_IFS

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing Multiple Values in a Variable

Hi, My code is as below: integer i=7 while ((i <= 5 )); do # test_out is a variable which contains data separated by "^". a= `echo $test_out | cut -d"^" -f$i` echo "$a" (( i = i + 1)); done From the above code, i kept $i after f so that i can capture all the data which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing the contents of a file in a variable

There is a file named file.txt whose contents are: +-----------------------------------+-----------+ | Variable_name | Value | +-----------------------------------+-----------+ | Aborted_clients | 0 | | Aborted_connects | 25683... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a file and storing it in a variable

Hi folks, I'm using bash and would like to do the following. I would like to read some values from the file and store it in the variable and use it. My file is 1.txt and its contents are VERSION=5.6 UPDATE=4 I would like to read "5.6" and "4" and store it in a variable in shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptfriend
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing lines of a file in a variable

i want to store the output of 'tail -5000 file' to a variable. If i want to access the contents of that variable, it becomes kinda difficult because when the data is stored in the variable, everything is mushed together. you dont know where a line begins or ends. so my question is, how can i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing a value from another file as a variable[solved]

Hi all, im having snags creating a variable which uses commands like cut and grep. In the instance below im simply trying to take a value from another file and assign it to a variable. When i do this it only prints the $a rather than the actual value. I know its simple but does anyone have any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing multiple values in a array variable

Am using a find command in my script .The output may be one or more. I need to store those values in a array and need to access those. Am unable to find the solution . Any help on this will be helpful. if < code> else a=<find command output which gives the file name either 1 or more> if 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

File paths with spaces in a variable

Hi all my very first post so go easy on me!! I am trying to build a very simple script to list a file path with spaces in. But I can't get around this problem. My script is as follows: #!/bin/bash X="/Library/Users/Application\ Support/" LS="ls" AL="-al" $LS $AL $X The response I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tillett22
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform multiple operations on a number before storing to a variable?

(I am using bash) I have a command that will find the line number in a file by searching for a string where it exists. linenumber=$(grep -n "string" $FILENAME | cut -d : -fi) This returns the line number and removes the string. Now that I have the line number I want to subtract 4 from it and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigious8
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Storing file contents to a variable

Hi All, I was trying a shell script. I was unable to store file contents to a variable in the script. I have tried the below but unable to do it. Input = `cat /path/op.diary` Input = $(<op.diary) I am using ksh shell. I want to store the 'op.diary' file contents to the variable 'Input'... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing multiple sql queries output into variable by running sql command only once

Hi All, I want to run multiple sql queries and store the data in variable but i want to use sql command only once. Is there a way without running sql command twice and storing.Please advise. Eg : Select 'Query 1 output' from dual; Select 'Query 2 output' from dual; I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rokkesh
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)