Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX PowerHA(HACMP) full vg loss - cluster hangs on release_vg_fs event Post 302792615 by MichaelFelt on Wednesday 10th of April 2013 04:57:49 PM
Old 04-10-2013
Well, you need to differentiate between between full SAN loss (no nodes can see disks) and failure of only one node seeing disk.

It has been years since I have debugged HACMP scripts - there have been a lot of additions to what is checked, but at it's core the problem is that a resource has gone done - not a topology element - so it is up to the application stop script to make sure the resources are released before "standard processing" continues.

To have this fully automated you would need to write a recovery script that HACMP could call - as config_too_long - means HACMP does not see this as an error.

What I would look for is using the application monitoring abilities to see that the application is down and doing a verification of the resources on the "active" node.

If I recall correctly, the steps PowerHa takes is:
1) application stop - key here is that there are no open files on file system so that following step(s) that
2) release the resources (i.e. 2a) unmount filesystems and 2b) varyoffvg volume group) can succeed.

Again, config_too_long means the script is not exiting with any status - so it is not an error. It is hanging. I would have to look at both the current script as well as application monitoring to determine if application monitoring could inject a new action by the cluster manager to forcibly unmount the filesystems. I am guessing that is not a possibility.

Comment: I would be nervous to be mixing vSCSI and NPIV within a resource group. No real issues with a mix in the cluster, but real concerns when mixing technologies for a single resource in a resource group.

Hope this helps you advance your testing! Good diligence!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Duplicate IP address makes PowerHA ( HACMP ) down

Hello, I would like to know if anyone has faced this problem. Whenever there is a duplicate IP address, HACMP goes down infact HACMP ( PowerHA ) takes the whole system down. Does anyone know how to solve this problem ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris Cluster Install Hangs

Greetings Forumers! I tried installing Solaris Cluster 3.3 today. I should say I tried configuring the Cluster today. The software is already installed on two systems. I am trying to configure a shared filesystem between two 6320 Blades. I selected the "Custom" install because the "Typical"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
2 Replies

3. AIX

MQ upgrade(ver.6to7) in a HACMP cluster

Hi What is the procedure to upgrade the MQ from 6 to 7 in aix hacmp cluster. Do i need to bring down the cluster services running in both the nodes and then give #smitty installp in both the nodes separately. Please assist... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
0 Replies

4. AIX

Should GPFS be configured before/after configuring HACMP for 2 node Cluster?

Hi, I have a IBM Power series machine that has 2 VIOs and hosting 20 LPARS. I have two LPARs on which GPFS is configured (4-5 disks) Now these two LPARs need to be configured for HACMP (PowerHA) as well. What is recommended? Is it possible that HACMP can be done on this config or do i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
1 Replies

5. AIX

Interoperability Oracle Clusterware - PowerHA/HACMP

I am planning for building a new database server using AIX 6.1 and Oracle 11.2 using ASM. As i have learned starting with Oracle 11.2 ASM can only be used in conjunction with Clusterware, which is Oracles HA-software. As is the companies policy we do intend to use PowerHA as HA-solution instead... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies

6. AIX

PowerHA HACMP on VIOS servers

Few questions regarding Power HA ( previously known as HACMP) and VIOS POWERVM IVM ( IBM Virtualization I/O Server ) Is it possible to create HACMP cluster between two VIOS servers Physical Machine_1 VIOS_SERVER_1 LPAR_1 SHARED_DISK_XX VIOS_SERVER_2 Physical Machine_2 LPAR_2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
6 Replies

7. AIX

[Howto] Update AIX in HACMP cluster-nodes

As i have updated a lot of HACMP-nodes lately the question arises how to do it with minimal downtime. Of course it is easily possible to have a downtime and do the version update during this. In the best of worlds you always get the downtime you need - unfortunately we have yet to find this best of... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. AIX

Re-cluster 2 HACMP 5.2 nodes

Hi, A customer I'm supporting once upon a time broke their 2 cluster node database servers so they could use the 2nd standby node for something else. Now sometime later they want to bring the 2nd node back into the cluster for resilance. Problem is there are now 3 VG's that have been set-up... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elcounto
1 Replies

9. AIX

Thoughts on HACMP: Automatic start of cluster services

Hi all, I remember way back in some old environment, having the HA cluster services not being started automatically at startup, ie. no entry in /etc/inittab. I remember reason was (taken a 2 node active/passive cluster), to avoid having a backup node being booted, so that it will not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
4 Replies

10. AIX

Clstat not working in a HACMP 7.1.3 cluster

I have troubles making clstat work. All the "usual suspects" have been covered but still no luck. The topology is a two-node active/passive with only one network-interface (it is a test-setup). The application running is SAP with DB/2 as database. We do not use SmartAssists or other gadgets. ... (8 Replies)
8 Replies
PACEMAKER(8)						  System Administration Utilities					      PACEMAKER(8)

NAME
Pacemaker - Part of the Pacemaker cluster resource manager SYNOPSIS
crm_resource (query|command) [options] DESCRIPTION
crm_resource - Perform tasks related to cluster resources. Allows resources to be queried (definition and location), modified, and moved around the cluster. OPTIONS
-?, --help This text -$, --version Version information -V, --verbose Increase debug output -Q, --quiet Print only the value on stdout -r, --resource=value Resource ID Queries: -L, --list List all resources -l, --list-raw List the IDs of all instantiated resources (no groups/clones/...) -O, --list-operations List active resource operations. Optionally filtered by resource (-r) and/or node (-N) -o, --list-all-operations List all resource operations. Optionally filtered by resource (-r) and/or node (-N) -q, --query-xml Query the definition of a resource (template expanded) -w, --query-xml-raw Query the definition of a resource (raw xml) -W, --locate Display the current location(s) of a resource -A, --stack Display the prerequisites and dependents of a resource -a, --constraints Display the (co)location constraints that apply to a resource Commands: -p, --set-parameter=value Set the named parameter for a resource. See also -m, --meta -g, --get-parameter=value Display the named parameter for a resource. See also -m, --meta -d, --delete-parameter=value Delete the named parameter for a resource. See also -m, --meta -M, --move Move a resource from its current location, optionally specifying a destination (-N) and/or a period for which it should take effect (-u) If -N is not specified, the cluster will force the resource to move by creating a rule for the current location and a score of -INFINITY NOTE: This will prevent the resource from running on this node until the constraint is removed with -U -U, --un-move Remove all constraints created by a move command Advanced Commands: -D, --delete Delete a resource from the CIB -F, --fail Tell the cluster this resource has failed -R, --refresh (Advanced) Refresh the CIB from the LRM -C, --cleanup (Advanced) Delete a resource from the LRM -P, --reprobe (Advanced) Re-check for resources started outside of the CRM Additional Options: -N, --node=value Host uname -t, --resource-type=value Resource type (primitive, clone, group, ...) -v, --parameter-value=value Value to use with -p, -g or -d -u, --lifetime=value Lifespan of migration constraints -m, --meta Modify a resource's configuration option rather than one which is passed to the resource agent script. For use with -p, -g, -d -z, --utilization Modify a resource's utilization attribute. For use with -p, -g, -d -s, --set-name=value (Advanced) ID of the instance_attributes object to change -i, --nvpair=value (Advanced) ID of the nvpair object to change/delete -f, --force EXAMPLES
List the configured resources: # crm_resource --list Display the current location of 'myResource': # crm_resource --resource myResource --locate Move 'myResource' to another machine: # crm_resource --resource myResource --move Move 'myResource' to a specific machine: # crm_resource --resource myResource --move --node altNode Allow (but not force) 'myResource' to move back to its original location: # crm_resource --resource myResource --un-move Tell the cluster that 'myResource' failed: # crm_resource --resource myResource --fail Stop a 'myResource' (and anything that depends on it): # crm_resource --resource myResource --set-parameter target-role --meta --parameter-value Stopped Tell the cluster not to manage 'myResource': The cluster will not attempt to start or stop the resource under any circumstances. Useful when performing maintenance tasks on a resource. # crm_resource --resource myResource --set-parameter is-managed --meta --parameter-value false Erase the operation history of 'myResource' on 'aNode': The cluster will 'forget' the existing resource state (including any errors) and attempt to recover the resource. Useful when a resource had failed permanently and has been repaired by an administrator. # crm_resource --resource myResource --cleanup --node aNode AUTHOR
Written by Andrew Beekhof REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to pacemaker@oss.clusterlabs.org Pacemaker 1.1.7 April 2012 PACEMAKER(8)