Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Beginner UNIX question. tail and find commands Post 302792553 by labelthief on Wednesday 10th of April 2013 03:21:40 PM
Old 04-10-2013
Wrench Beginner UNIX question. tail and find commands

hey guys, i'm in a unix course.. and while this is a homework question - i did put alittle effort into it. just wanted to ask before trial and error drives me nuts.

question 13 has us saving the last 30 characters of a file into another file
and question 14 has us saving the list of all the files that are 7 days old starting from your home directory.

i got that the last 30 characters of a file would be found by $tail -30c filename but i can't find an example in the book to save these files. if i add filename2 after filename it'll just show the last 30 characters of each. is it $tail -30c filename > filename2 to save one to the other? and for question 14 i know it would be something with $ find . -atime 7 -exec but i'm not sure how it would save the list to a file. i thought using ">" could only be done with cat in front of it to create files. our book tells us cat is for creating files and mv or cp is for moving or copying. so we're not really creating. so would i use cp or mv? help would be appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

where i can find list of UNIX commands for daily operations ?

Hi There, Can anyone help, where i can find list of UNIX commands just for regulat day ro day operations Thanx MGR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mgoutham
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Find commands

thank you for the help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scooter17
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find filenames like unix commands

Hi, I need to write a small script to search in some specific directories to check if any file is present with a unix command name... Means if the directory contains any files like cat, vi, grep, find etc i need to list those files into a file. Please help Thanks, D (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I need help to find some unix commands

Hey everyone, I need some help for some unix commands. - List all processes in the file "ProcessUser.txt" sorted by the users and in the file "ProcessName.txt" sorted by the name of the process. - How much time does the command "ls -alR /" need and compared to that, how much time is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZOCKER3000
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple tail -f commands

I need to execute a program which will generate some alarms. I wish to capture those alarms in a single output file. I executed with following command on linux: tail -f test1.alarms -f test2.alarms|awk 'NR>20' >> output But however when I tried to execute same on solaris platforms it fails.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhallarandeep
2 Replies

6. Programming

Where to find sources of UNIX commands???

Dear friends, I believe that all unix commands are programs which are written in c language, please correct me if I am wrong. Now suppose that I want to see the c source of common commands like echo, ls, mkdir etc, where I can I find the source, linux is open source I believe, so the source for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to modify a delimited file using UNIX commands. Please find description

i have a '|' delimited file having 4 fields. now i want to sort the data by combination of first three fields without changing order of 4th field. input file looks like this: 3245|G|kop|45 1329|A|uty|76 9878|K|wer|12 3245|G|kop|15 1329|A|uty|56 9878|K|wer|2 3245|G|kop|105... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankurgoyal2408
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to find a solution using UNIX commands

I have the below requirement. below is the content of the input file and my expected result Input file: a.txt <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Employee> <Name>XXXX</Name> <ID>1233</ID> </Employee> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <Employee> <Name>YYYY</Name> <ID>1345</ID>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX commands question

if ] then rm -rf Can anyone tell me what are they checking in the if loop Please use code tags next time for your code and data. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX commands question

I am using HP-UXsystem. I am unable to use the below sed commands. could you please let us know the alternate commands for it. >sed '/unix/ c "Change line"' file.txt sed '/unix/ i "Add a new line"' file.txt any inputs please (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
5 Replies
fileutil(n)							  file utilities						       fileutil(n)

NAME
fileutil - Procedures implementing some file utilities SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8 package require fileutil ?1.4? ::fileutil::cat filename ::fileutil::fileType filename ::fileutil::find ?basedir ?filtercmd?? ::fileutil::findByPattern basedir ?-regexp|-glob? ?--? patterns ::fileutil::foreachLine var filename cmd ::fileutil::grep pattern ?files? ::fileutil::stripN path n ::fileutil::stripPwd path ::fileutil::touch ?-a? ?-c? ?-m? ?-r ref_file? ?-t time? filename ?...? DESCRIPTION
This package provides implementations of standard unix utilities. ::fileutil::cat filename A tcl implementation of the UNIX cat command. Returns the contents of the specified file. The first argument is the name of the file to read. ::fileutil::fileType filename An implementation of the UNIX file command, which uses various heuristics to guess the type of a file. Returns a list specifying as much type information as can be determined about the file, from most general (eg, "binary" or "text") to most specific (eg, "gif"). For example, the return value for a GIF file would be "binary graphic gif". The command will detect the following types of files: directory, empty, binary, text, script (with interpreter), executable elf, graphic gif, graphic jpeg, html, xml (with doctype if available), message pgp, and link. ::fileutil::find ?basedir ?filtercmd?? An implementation of the unix command find. Adapted from the Tcler's Wiki. Takes at most two arguments, the path to the directory to start searching from and a command to use to evaluate interest in each file. The path defaults to ".", i.e. the current directory. The command defaults to the empty string, which means that all files are of interest. The command takes care not to loose itself in infinite loops upon encountering circular link structures. The result of the command is a list containing the paths to the inter- esting files. ::fileutil::findByPattern basedir ?-regexp|-glob? ?--? patterns This command is based upon the TclX command recursive_glob, except that it doesn't allow recursion over more than one directory at a time. It uses ::fileutil::find internally and is thus able to and does follow symbolic links, something the TclX command does not do. First argument is the directory to start the search in, second argument is a list of patterns. The command returns a list of all files reachable through basedir whose names match at least one of the patterns. The options before the pattern-list determine the style of matching, either regexp or glob. glob-style matching is the default if no options are given. Usage of the option -- stops option processing. This allows the use of a leading '-' in the patterns. ::fileutil::foreachLine var filename cmd The command reads the file filename and executes the script cmd for every line in the file. During the execution of the script the variable var is set to the contents of the current line. The return value of this command is the result of the last invocation of the script cmd or the empty string if the file was empty. ::fileutil::grep pattern ?files? Implementation of grep. Adapted from the Tcler's Wiki. The first argument defines the pattern to search for. This is followed by a list of files to search through. The list is optional and stdin will be used if it is missing. The result of the procedures is a list containing the matches. Each match is a single element of the list and contains filename, number and contents of the matching line, separated by a colons. ::fileutil::stripN path n Removes the first n elements from the specified path and returns the modified path. If n is greater than the number of components in path an empty string is returned. ::fileutil::stripPwd path If the path is inside of the directory returned by [pwd] it is made relative to that directory. In other words, the current working directory is stripped from the path. The possibly modified path is returned as the result of the command. ::fileutil::touch ?-a? ?-c? ?-m? ?-r ref_file? ?-t time? filename ?...? Implementation of touch. Alter the atime and mtime of the specified files. If -c, do not create files if they do not already exist. If -r, use the atime and mtime from ref_file. If -t, use the integer clock value time. It is illegal to specify both -r and -t. If -a, only change the atime. If -m, only change the mtime. KEYWORDS
file utilities fileutil 1.4 fileutil(n)