Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing specific lines from script files. Post 302792283 by manishdivs on Wednesday 10th of April 2013 04:32:58 AM
Old 04-10-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
As you can see, it worked with my version. You now need to fiddle around with e.g. the /;\|run/d command, and others. Try /;/d;/run/d. Be creative.

Hello RudiC,

I did try several option but not getting success might be because I am not well versed with Unix.

I request you to please give me a separate command for reading the line beginning with list and removing the lines before that having ";: and/or "run".

I have on my machine:
Code:
uname -a
AIX AIX-sizing 1 6 00F6FFEE4C00

grep -B is not working on my machine otherwise that easy to achieve.

Please help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help--script to filter specific lines from multiple txt files

Hi folks, - I have 800 txt files - those files are cisco router configs router1.txt router2.txt ... router800.txt I want to accomplish the following: - I want to have a seperate file with all the filenames that I want to process - I want a script that goes trough all those... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing specific lines

Hi I have a .conf file having many location tags like <Location /main> AuthName main AuthUserFile /ppt/gaea/passwd_main Require user admin </Location> ...... ... <Location /wonder> AuthName gaea AuthUserFile /ppt/gaea/passwd_gaea Require... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: catgovind
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing lines from large files.. quickest method?

Hi I have some files that contain be anything up to 100k lines - eg. file100k I have another file called file5k and I need to produce filec which will contain everything in file100k minus what matches in file 5k.. ie. File100k contains 1FP 2FP 3FP File5k contains 2FP I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: removing blank lines from multiple files

Hi Guru's , I have a whole bunch of files in /var/tmp that i need to strip any blank lines from, so ive written the following script to identify the lines (which works perfectly).. but i wanted to know, how can I actually strip the identified lines from the actual source files ?? my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing specific lines using Unix

Hello everyone, I have a fasta file in the following format: >Sic_7657.x01 bhg|7675859 info:546474 ATGCTAGATGCTAGCTAGCTAGCTGCT CGTAGCTAGTCGTAGCTGATGCTAGGC CGATG >Sic_7657.x1 bhg|76675 info:546474 CGATGCTGATGCTGATCGTGATCTGTC CAGTCGAGCTGATGTCGTATGCGGGTG GCTAGCTA >Sic_7658.y1 bhg|76675... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Lines Shared by Multiple Files

Hey everyone, I have a question about comparing two files. I have two lists of files. The first list, todo.csv, lists a series of compounds my supervisor wants me to perform calculations on. The second list, done.csv, lists a series of compounds that I have already performed calculations on.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuart Ness
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing specific records from files when duplicate key

Hello I have been trying to remove a row from a file which has the same first three columns as another row - I have tried lots of different combinations of suggestion on this forum but can't get it exactly right. what I have is 900 - 1000 = 0 900 - 1000 = 2562 1000 - 1100 = 0 1000 - 1100... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinytimmay
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing 3 consecutive lines from script

Hi I need to remove three consecutive lines of code which appear multiple times during a script. Two of the lines also appear in other parts of the scripts and need to stay so I can't strip out the code per se - It needs to be the exact three lines. Hope that makes sense ! Any help much... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find files containing two specific lines and delate those lines?

Hi I need to find files in a specified folder where are two specified lines of text and delate that lines. It looks like this" 35. ?>NL 36. <iframe>.......</iframe>NLThe problem is that "?>" is in the other lines and id should not be removed if the next line is not like "<iframe>....." So... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: androwida
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines?

Hi, I need to print lines which are matching with start pattern "SELECT" and END PATTERN ";" and only select the last "select" statement including the ";" . I have attached sample input file and the desired input should be as: INPUT FORMAT: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH, DFGHJ, JKLMN, AXCVB,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
5 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)