Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping a specific row from a file Post 302792261 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 10th of April 2013 03:55:58 AM
Old 04-10-2013
As an alternative to the eval method above,
also a "here document" can set multiple shell variables from the command:
Code:
read R0 R1 << EOT
`awk '/^[0-9]/ {printf "%d ", $3+$4+$5+$6}' file.txt`
EOT
echo $R0
echo $R1

This works in every Bourne(-compatible) shell, because it automatically creates a tmp file.
But some shells have issues: create unsafe tmp files, or don't clean it up.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the column for a row in a text file and adding another row

Hi, I want to write a shell script which increments a particular column in a row from a text file and then adds another row below the current row with the incremented value . For Eg . if the input file has a row : abc xyz lmn 89 lm nk o p I would like the script to create something like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aYankeeFan
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping for filenames containing value in specific segment within file

I am trying to grep for filenames containing a specific value within a particular segment. The lines containing the segment I'm looking through reads like "HL^1^^1^1", "10^9^9^0", and "HL^11^4^8^1". I would like to find the data that contains only the number nine after the third caret where the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a text from a specific row into a specific column using SED or AWK

Hi, I am having trouble converting a text file. I have been working for this whole day now, still i couldn't make it. Here is how the text file looks: _______________________________________________________ DEVICE STATUS INFORMATION FOR LOCATION 1: OPER STATES: Disabled E:Enabled ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Issemael
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grepping A Specific Column

Hello, I have a log file that outputs the data below. I would like to grep and display the data where column is equal '148.' I've searched the forum, and couldn't find any answers. I've tried all the grep switches and I get the same result as the log. I'm thinking I might have to use an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravzter
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a file from specific row onwards

Hello All: I've file in below format. File name is "FIRSTN.TBL": AAAAAA N BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB N . . . . ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ N My file row length is 40 characters and my second column will start from 25th column and it is only... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvkuriseti
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtracting each row from the first row in a single column file using awk

Hi Friends, I have a single column data like below. 1 2 3 4 5 I need the output like below. 0 1 2 3 4 where each row (including first row) subtracting from first row and the result should print below like the way shown in output file. Thanks Sid (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing next two lines from a file after grepping a specific pattern

Hi I have a file like # vi require.txt 1,BANK,Read blocks that cycle. yellow Read blocks. 2,ACCOUNT,Finished Red Finished . 3,LOAN, pipe white pipe 4,PROFIT,Resolve. black Resolve Am using like cat require.txt | grep -w ACCOUNTThe output I get is (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search row by row from one file to another file if match is found print few colums of file 2

this is the requirement list.txt table1 table2 table3 testfile.txt name#place#data#select * from table1 name2#place2#data2#select * from table 10 innerjoin table3 name2#place2#data2#select * from table 10 output name place table1 name2 place table3 i tried using awk (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsekumar
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specific row match

Trying to match $1 of genematch.txt with $11 of design.txt, if there is a match then in the first row of the match $1 is copied to column 1, row 2 of design.txt, $2 is copied to column 2, row 2 of design.txt, $3 is copied to column 3, row 2 of design.txt, $4 is copied to column 4, row 2 of ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to change a specific column and in a specific row

I am trying to change the number in bold to 2400 01,000300032,193631306,190619,0640,1,80,,2/ 02,193631306,000300032,1,190618,0640,CAD,2/ I'm not sure if sed or awk is the answer. I was going to use sed and do a character count up to that point, but that column directly before 0640 might... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: juggernautjoee
8 Replies
exec(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)