Sponsored Content
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Wannabe nix guru starting a new os Post 302792057 by donkey42 on Tuesday 9th of April 2013 03:41:41 PM
Old 04-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
The kernel's job, other than managing hardware, is mostly to stay out of the way while the application programs run. In most circumstances, the kernel spends next to no time running. There's only so far you can go with a 'hyper performance kernel' to make it actually faster.

You could do some interesting things with buffering and scheduling to make it more responsive I suppose.
interesting to know, i guess i'll see how things progress, so maybe a new distro it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
It's not like everyone else set out to write 'low performance' kernels, anyway.
very true

thankies again Corona

Last edited by donkey42; 04-09-2013 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: edit

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what do most Unix guru's use ? :D

I wanted to know what email app most Sun solaris / unix gurus use ? I have become quite NON microsoft in the last few months in my studying solaris.. thanks simon2000 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Wannabe

Heya folks, I have a computer that is dying to have UNIX installed. However due to the fact that I can pinch a penny until it screams for mercy, I would like to install a FREE version if UNIX. I have a version of Red Hat Linux, but I am afraid that is not enough like Unix to really get a good... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TechKnow
5 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

*nix Desktops

Yeah, we all know where to find screenshots of Unix and Linux, but it would be awesome to see some of your *nix screenshots. Okay.. to explain: This is my KDE desktop on Yellow Dog Linux. I changed the background recently to a Commodore 64 theme (pretty cool) and no longer is the Konstruct Konsole... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnerd
25 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To all the Java guru...

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place for this post. I didn't see a good place to post this topic in. :D I would like to know what's the most popular and reliable Java IDE out there nowadays? A FREE one would be awesome! :D Thanks for your suggestion! Cheers! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for something like Citrix for *nix

Hi, I don't mean the client.... I mean the server - I have the client to connect to a windows citrix server already. The next best thing I can use at present is VNC (I only want remote desktop, not application sharing specifically). The thing with VNC is that when you go on you are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
3 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Noob and Guru

A long time ago, my computer crashed, at that time, I was using Windows98, but because I was a noob at computers, my friend recommended me apro to fix it for me.   He came, saw the computer, and asked if I had a backup/installation disk for Windows 98. I said no.   He thought about it for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vistastar
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help from a C++ makefile guru

hello, i'm recompiling some c++ code for OSX and there are some bugs as the configure is not picking up some libs like atlas, pastix, etc, it should be finding either in standard path or with pkgconfig but it's not so i'm rewriting the Makefile. C++ territory is a bit of a stretch with all of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
GURU(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   GURU(8)

NAME
guru - System administration SYNOPSIS
guru [ -e program ] [ -f ] [ -p target ] DESCRIPTION
guru is a sophisticated program synthesis and system maintenance tool developed after midnight in numerous university computing labs. It is based on the famous LISP Hacker system, used to develop AI programs on TENEX. guru reads a problem description from the standard input. An innovative and occasionally correct solution is generated and written to the standard output. Typically, guru is invoked repeatedly until an acceptable solution is generated or the user community has learned to live with the problem. The bugreport mechanism sometimes invokes guru. In this case guru executes at a priority inversely proportional to the reported urgency of the bug. Feature enhancements run at high priority whereas critical problems are fixed only when the machine would otherwise be idle. If the standard input is empty, guru uses its program synthesis capabilities to generate a selection of screen editors, X widgets, compil- ers, sundry games and the occasional diatribe. OPTIONS
-e program New features are added to an existing program. This option should be used with caution as the enhanced program may behave unpre- dictably or not at all. -f Reconstructs filesystems after a crash. -p target Ports the entire system on which guru is executing to target, preferably a RISC machine. This is an extremely time consuming oper- ation and is not guaranteed to terminate. If more than one option is specified, guru may thrash. Each copy of guru has its own set of unique, additional and undocumented options. SEE ALSO
YAPS: Yet another Program Synthesiser by S C Johnson. NOTES
Inherent design limitations prevent guru from synthesising comments. The programs generated are undocumented. The lucidity, politeness, relevance and language of the occasional diatribe vary considerably. The only diagnostic is an occasional ``I deserve a raise'' - which may be ignored albeit doing so may provoke ``I resign'' - an unrecover- able error. Sending the output of one guru into another can produce quite startling results. UNIX Programmer's Manual GURU(8)