Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renaming the file name for n number of files Post 302792015 by ahamed101 on Tuesday 9th of April 2013 02:32:26 PM
Old 04-09-2013
Try this, if it echo's the mv command correctly, then remove echo and try
Code:
for file in *JUNFOR_2013*.TXT
do 
  echo "mv $file ${file/JUNFOR/FOR13}"
done

--ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming a Number of Files

I want to rename my mp3s. Iw ant them to use a standard of 'Band Name - Song Title.mp3'. Currently, all of my mp3s are in the following directory structure: /MyMusic/Band Name/Album Name/*.mp3 Esentailly I want to update each file with the Band Name from the hierarchy and then move all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fnard
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files by matching info from a separate file

Hi All, I could use a bit of help with this as I'm at a loss. I have a number of files all named accordingly: I have a separate text file that is as follows: What I want to do is end up with: I don't know how to do this, though I'm certain it can be done, and would rather learn how... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Demosthenes
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files in one file from names in other

Hi Guys, I have a small problem of renaming multiple files. For example I have names of a set of files in one directory like K2_34625-34675 K7_988963-988983 K12_773882-7734102 and the other set corresponding to the same is U_P_321_9_3_11.ab1 U_P_322_9_3_11.ab1 U_P_323_9_3_11.ab1 Now... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
23 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grepping files and then renaming file

Hi, What is the easiest way to list a directory with 1000s of filenames, grep it for a certain sequence of numbers, and if found to rename the file by the value you are grepping. eg The file I am examining will looks like this: 1234 1224343 2324 244 35665 If I am examining a list... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mantis
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming all files inside a zipped file

Hi, To all the Unix gurus this should be a simple task, but as a newbie I'm finding it hard to crack this. Any help is highly appreciated... Scenario: Step 1 : Move zip file from FTP folder to WORK folder Step 2: Unzip the file "Sample_YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.tar.gz" which contains many file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file with sequence number

Hi team, I need a script for renaming a file with sequence number. script get a file from one directory, /home/billing/Cmm/sms/sms_tmp, append sequence no at the end of file name and move a file to other directory, /home/billing/Cmm/sms/. Actual file is cdr201508271527, and file after... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfaizan40
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file into multiple files and renaming them

Hi all, Newbie here. First of all, sorry if I made any mistakes while posting this question in terms of rules. Correct me if I am wrong. :b: I have a .dat file whose name is in the format of 20170311_abc_xyz.dat. The file consists of records whose first column consists of multiple dates in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chanduris
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying files to a directory, renaming it if a file with the same name already exists

Hi All, I need to copy files from one directory to another with the files to be renamed while copying if a file with the same name already exists in the target directory. THanks, Dev (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting the XML file and renaming the files

Hello Gurus, I have a requirement to split the xml file into different xml files. Can you please help me with that? Here is my Source XML file <jms-system-resource> <name>PS6SOAJMSModule</name> <target>soa_server1</target> <sub-deployment> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siv51427882
3 Replies
ftpservers(4)                                                      File Formats                                                      ftpservers(4)

NAME
ftpservers - FTP Server virtual hosting configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/ftpd/ftpservers DESCRIPTION
The ftpservers file is used to configure complete virtual hosting. In contrast to limited virtual hosting, complete virtual hosting allows separate configuration files to be specified for each virtual host. The set of configuration files for each virtual host are placed in their own directory. The ftpservers file associates the address of each virtual host with the directory its configuration files are stored in. The virtual host configuration files must be named: ftpaccess Virtual host's access file ftpusers Restricts the accounts that can use the virtual host ftpgroups Virtual hosts enhanced group access file ftphosts Allow or deny usernames access to the virtual host ftpconversions Customize conversions available from the virtual host You do not need to put every file in each virtual host directory. If you want a virtual host to use the master copy of a file, then do not include it in the virtual host directory. If the file is not included, the master copy from the /etc/ftpd directory will be used. The file names must match exactly. If you misspell any of them or name them differently, the server will not find them, and the server will use the master copy instead. The ftpaddhost utility is an administrative tool to configure virtual hosts. See ftpaddhost(1M). File Format There are two fields to each entry in the ftpservers file: address directory-containing-configuration-files For example: 10.196.145.10 /etc/ftpd/virtual-ftpd/10.196.145.10 10.196.145.200 /etc/ftpd//virtual-ftpd/10.196.145.200 some.domain INTERNAL When an FTP client connects to the FTP Server, in.ftpd(1M) tries to match the IP address to which the FTP client connected with one found in the ftpservers file. The address can be an IPv4 or IPv6 address, or a hostname. If a match is found, The FTP server uses any configuration files found in the associated directory. If a match is not found, or an invalid directory path is encountered, the default paths to the configuration files are used. The use of INTERNAL in the example above fails the check for a specific directory, and the master configuration files will be used. Either the actual IP address or a specific hostname can be used to specify the virtual host. It is better to specify the actual IP of the virtual host, as it reduces the need for a domain lookup and eliminates DNS security related naming issues, for example: 10.196.145.20 /etc/ftpd/config/faqs.org/ ftp.some.domain /etc/ftpd/config/faqs.org/ Lines that begin with a # sign are treated as comment lines and are ignored. FILES
/etc/ftpd/ftpservers ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), ftpaccess(4), ftpconversions(4), ftpgroups(4), ftphosts(4), ftpusers(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpservers(4)