Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Returning and capturing multiple return values from a function Post 302791769 by michaelrozar17 on Tuesday 9th of April 2013 06:40:53 AM
Old 04-09-2013
Just $1+$2 will not do the arithmetic operation in UNIX. You need to have as highlighted below and i believe you include the call to the function at the end of the function calc as
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh 
calc() 
{ 
total=$(($1+$2)) 
echo "$total" 
diff=$(($2-$1)) 
echo "$diff" 
}
calc 5 7

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

returning multiple values from a function in C

hi how can I return multiple values from a C function. I tried the following: #include <stdio.h> void foo(int id, char *first_name, char *last_name) { /* this is just an example to illustrate my problem... real code makes use of the "id" parameter. */ first_name = (char... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
8 Replies

2. Programming

Function Returning Value w/o return stmt

I am working on a C/Unix application from last 2 years which communicates with other systems using proprietary format of my client. We have a function written in C which returns integer, which is response from other system to the request message initiated by my system. This return value is then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dpmore
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to capture oracle function returning 2 values in unix

i have an oracle function which returns two values, one is the error message if the function encounters anything and another one which returns a number i need to capture both and pass it on to unix shell script how to do it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can $? return multiple values?

Hi, I have a script which does something like the below: execute_some_script.sh $arg1 $arg2 `exec-some-cmd` if then; do something else do something else fi However, during some cases, there is an error saying: line xxx: [: too many arguments at the line number which has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laloo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Multiple Return Values

Hi, I need to retrun multiple values function errorFileCreation { echo "Before" return -1 "Siva"; echo "Aftyer" } echo ${?} - This can be used to getting first value. how can i get second one. Advance Thanks... Shiv (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return multiple values using for loop in perl

I am using a for loop to copy files from say DIR1 and DIR2 to DIR3.I have to check whether files are copied from DIR1 and DIR2 and print the respective message. @path=("$DIR1","$DIR2"); foreach (@path) { $rc=system("cp $_/*xml $DIR3"); if ($rc == 0) { print "Files were copied... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liyakathali
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing multiple values from user input

Hello, I need to capture multiple values from user input and do not know how to do it. I'm writing a script to delete old files, but want to give the option to keep some by asking the user. This is what my output looks like... Old files to be deleted... 1 file1 2 file2 Then this bit of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output breaking when returning multiple values

I've been trying to write a command-line function to grab a website's MX records and their ip addresses. The code below works with domains that only have one MX record: function kmx { mx=`host -t MX $1 | awk '{ print $7 }'`; ip=`host $mx | sed '/IPv6/d;/handled/d' | awk '{ print $4 }'`; ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning multiple values in Shell

Hi I have a code as the following #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x row() { a=$1 b=$2 c=$(($a + $b)) d=$(($a * $b)) echo $a $b } e=`row 2 3` set $e echo "The value of c is $c" echo "The value of d is $d" My requirement is I need to pass two arguments to a function and return two values... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] wanted: function with a clean way for multiple return values

Hi, I have a small part of a project which is done as a bash script. bash was selected as an portability issue that works out of the box. In this script I have an exec shell-function, a wrapper around arbitrary commands. I want to have STDOUT, as an addon STDERR and the EXIT-CODE of a specified... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stomp
5 Replies
COLORS(3)						   libbash colors Library Manual						 COLORS(3)

NAME
colors -- libbash library for setting tty colors. SYNOPSIS
colorSet <color> colorReset colorPrint [<indent>] <color> <text> colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> <text> DESCRIPTION
General colors is a collection of functions that make it very easy to put colored text on tty. The function list: colorSet Sets the color of the prints to the tty to COLOR colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal colorPrint Prints TEXT in the color COLOR indented by INDENT (without adding a newline) colorPrintN The same as colorPrint, but trailing newline is added Detailed interface description follows. Available colors: Green Red Yellow White The color parameter is non-case-sensitive (i.e. RED, red, ReD, and all the other forms are valid and are the same as Red). FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
colorSet <color> Sets the current printing color to color. colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal. colorPrint [<indent>] <color> Prints text using the color color indented by indent (without adding a newline). Parameters: <indent> The column to move to before start printing. This parameter is optional. If ommitted - start output from current cursor position. <color> The color to use. <color> The text to print. colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> The same as colorPrint, except a trailing newline is added. EXAMPLES
Printing a green 'Hello World' with a newline: Using colorSet: $ colorSet green $ echo 'Hello World' $ colorReset Using colorPrint: $ colorPrint 'Hello World'; echo Using colorPrintN: $ colorPrintN 'Hello World' AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux