Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Those simple one liners
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Those simple one liners Post 302791643 by love_debian on Monday 8th of April 2013 09:20:04 PM
Old 04-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamed101
I mean, when things can be done with just a one liner, sometimes I tend to forgot those simple things and go for unwanted iterations.
And that's why i like UNIX Philosophy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamed101
May be our brain misses something sometimes and thinks too complex?
I think the thing that most programmers missing while programming is : KISS principle :-)

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

invaluable resource for shell one liners and more

Hi all, This link might help whom is seeking a quick solutions for thier daily shell needs. linkAll commands | commandlinefu.com (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - one liners

Guys, I have a requirement like this. A file has >5K records always. Separated by "|", it has 30 fields for each line. In some lines, I am getting an odd field. say, the 15th field is supposed to be 2 characters but comes in as >2. In this case, for resolving this I need to copy the value of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk one liners into a nice script

Hi All, I got some awk one liners, how can i split it all into a nice script? Got these: gzcat capgw0.log-201308161376632741.gz | sed -n '/2013-08-16 05:56:/,/2013-08-16 05:58:/p' > timebased.log awk -F":|," 'FNR==NR && /INFO - AId:/ {a=$0;next} END {for (i in a) print i "|" a}'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: batka
8 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

One liners, quick rant...

Hi fellas and fella-esses... There are numerous threads on here where people ask for, and often expect, solutions to difficult problems solved using _one_liners_. Why do they insist as such when it is virtually no different in execution time with well thought out indented code? Is it me... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
12 Replies
RE_COMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							RE_COMP(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - BSD regex functions SYNOPSIS
#define _REGEX_RE_COMP #include <sys/types.h> #include <regex.h> char *re_comp(char *regex); int re_exec(char *string); DESCRIPTION
re_comp() is used to compile the null-terminated regular expression pointed to by regex. The compiled pattern occupies a static area, the pattern buffer, which is overwritten by subsequent use of re_comp(). If regex is NULL, no operation is performed and the pattern buffer's contents are not altered. re_exec() is used to assess whether the null-terminated string pointed to by string matches the previously compiled regex. RETURN VALUE
re_comp() returns NULL on successful compilation of regex otherwise it returns a pointer to an appropriate error message. re_exec() returns 1 for a successful match, zero for failure. ATTRIBUTES
Multithreading (see pthreads(7)) The re_comp() and re_exec() functions are not thread-safe. CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. NOTES
These functions are obsolete; the functions documented in regcomp(3) should be used instead. SEE ALSO
regcomp(3), regex(7), GNU regex manual COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.53 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2013-06-21 RE_COMP(3)