Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting One file in to one directory using a for loop Post 302791541 by os2mac on Monday 8th of April 2013 04:36:12 PM
Old 04-08-2013
One file in to one directory using a for loop

So I have several files:

Code:
1.txt 2.txt 3.txt 4.txt

and several directories:
Code:
one two three four

I want to put one file in one directory, thusly:

Code:
1.txt to /one
2.txt to /two
3.txt to /three
4.txt to /four

but I want to use a for loop to do something like this:

Code:
!#/usr/bin/bash
file=(1.txt 2.txt 3.txt 4.txt)
dir=(one two three four)

for i in ${file[@]};do
        cp $i ${dir[@]}
        done

This will obviously attempt to put EVERY file in EVERY directory. How would I limit it as stated above?

Thanks,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in a directory

Hi, I want to write bash script that will keep on looking for files in a directory and if any file exists, it processes them. I want it to be a background process, which keeps looking for files in a directory. Is there any way to do that in bash script? I can loop through all the files like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rladda
4 Replies

2. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory sizes loop optimization

I have the following script: #!/usr/bin/ksh export MDIR=/datafiles NAME=$1 SERVER=$2 DIRECTORY=$3 DATABASE=$4 ID=$5 export dirlist=`/usr/bin/ssh -q $ID@$SERVER find $DIRECTORY -type d -print` for dir in $dirlist do SIZE=`</dev/null /usr/bin/ssh -q $ID@$SERVER du -ks $dir` echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: la_womn
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop through files in directory

hi all i have some files present in a directory i want to loop through all the files in the directory each time i loop i should change the in_file parameter in the control file and load it into a table using sql loader there is only one table where i have to load alll the files ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_tns
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through directory and extract sub directory names

I am trying to loop through folders and extract the name of the lowest level subfolder I was running the script below, it returns /bb/bin/prd/newyork /bb/bin/prd/london /bb/bin/prd/tokyo I really want newyork london tokyo I couldn't find a standard variable for the lowest level... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: personalt
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through directory names

Some guidance is highly appreciated. I have 10 directories with names ending with 'xyz', each of them have about 30000 files. I want to loop through the contents of each directory and produce a single output per directory. So I want to have 10 output files named 'directory_name'_out. With... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie83
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in a directory

Hello How do I loop through files in a specific directory ? This script is not working! #! /bin/bash FILES=/usr/desktop/input/* For f in $FILES; do awk '-v A="$a" -v B="$b" {$6=($1-64)/2 ;$7=((10^($6/10))/A)^(1/B) ; print}' OFS="\t" $f > /root/Desktop/output/$f.txt; done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali.seifaddini
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop multiple directory, find a file and send email

Hello ALL, need a BASH script who find file and send email with attachment. I have 50 folders without sub directories in each generated files of different sizes but with a similar name Rp01.txt Rp02.txt Rp03.txt ...etc. Each directors bound by mail group, I need a script that goes as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penchev
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in directory

I am trying to loop through files in a directory, and sort each file. No matter what changes I make to the code, I get the following errors: 'aunch.sh: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `do 'aunch.sh: line 4: `for f in ${FILES}/*; do #!/bin/bash FILES=$(pwd) for f in ${FILES}/*;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ldorsey
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through files in directory

I am trying to loop through files in a directory, and sort each file. No matter what changes I make to the code, I get the following errors: 'aunch.sh: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `do 'aunch.sh: line 4: `for f in ${FILES}/*; do #!/bin/bash FILES=$(pwd) for f in ${FILES}/*;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldorsey
6 Replies
RDUP-UP(1)							       rdup								RDUP-UP(1)

NAME
rdup-up - update a directory tree with a rdup archive SYNOPSIS
rdup-up [OPTION]... DIRECTORY DESCRIPTION
With rdup-up you can update an (possibly) existing directory structure with a rdup archive. The rdup archive has to be given to rdup-up's standard input. Username and uids rdup outputs both the username and uid, the receiving system (which may be a totally different system) checks if the username and uid match. If the username and uid don't match the (numeric) uid is used on the file. The same holds true for the groupname and gid. OPTIONS
-n Do a dry-run and do not create anything on disk. -t Create DIRECTORY (ala mkdir -p) if it does not exist. -s N Strip N path components from a pathname. If the resulting pathname is empty after this operation it is skipped. Be careful however with the following structure: /foo /foo/bar /foo/bar/bla.txt /foo/blork/bla.txt With rdup-up -s2 this will leave: <empty> <empty> /bla.txt /bla.txt And the last 'bla.txt' will overwrite the previous one, this will happen without warnings. -r PATH This option is related to the -s option, but works different. The string PATH is removed from (the beginning of) each pathname. With -r /home/backup the pathname /home/backup/bin/mycmd becomes /bin/mycmd. The same could be done with -s 2, but then you need to count the slashes. Note -s is always performed before -r. -v Be more verbose and echo the processed files to standard output. -vv Be even more verbose and echo processed file and the uid and gid information to standard output. -T Show a table of contents of the rdup stream received (ala tar -tf -). With -T the directory argument is optional. -T unsets any verbose (-v) options. -h A short help message. -V Show the version. EXIT CODE
rdup-up return a zero exit code on success, otherwise 1 is returned. AUTHOR
Written by Miek Gieben. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <miek@miek.nl>. SEE ALSO
http:/www.miek.nl/projects/rdup/ is the main site of rdup. Also see rdup(1), rdup-tr(1) and rdup-backups(7). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2010 Miek Gieben. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Licensed under the GPL version 3. See the file LICENSE in the source distribution of rdup. 1.1.11 13 Dec 2008 RDUP-UP(1)