Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Gaining root privileges
Operating Systems Solaris Gaining root privileges Post 302791425 by abohmeed on Monday 8th of April 2013 01:37:10 PM
Old 04-08-2013
Solved

Thanks all for your help
To close this thread, yes i didn't know that the admrole had a separate password than the user who belongs to that role (i'm a solaris newbie) so i called the admin and got the password. Problem solved thanks again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root privileges &Sudoer

Hi guys... how can a root assign a user all or most of the root privileges? is sudoer comand enough 4 this? thx alot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blue_7
2 Replies

2. Programming

root privileges

Hi I have make a program that needs root privleges but any user can try to run it, so what I want it is, when any user tries( other than root ) to run the program, an input prompt would open to enter root password ( if user knows ) and program will run ( otherwise exit ), and after completing... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
21 Replies

3. Solaris

sshd (openssh) on SunOS without root privileges

Hi, I've just managed to install openssh in my home directory on a server I have access to by using --prefix=$HOME/local after ./configure. Another thing I was having trouble with without root access was privilege separation, so I disabled that in my sshd_config. However, when I run... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root privileges

Hello, As admin with root rights, to execute any command from another user without password-ask, I do : su - <user> -c "<cmd>" But how can I do to give the same rights to another physical user without using root user ? :confused: I've try to create another user "toor" with the same primary... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
4 Replies

5. Linux

grant root privileges to ordinary user

Hi, Is it possible to grant root privileges to an ordinary user? Other than 'sudo', is there some way under Users/Groups configuration? I want ordinary user to be able to mount, umount and use command mt. /Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brendan76
4 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

The pseudo-device provides a “backdoor” for gaining root access for a particular user.

Problem statement. In this part of the assignment, delegates will create a pseudo-device and write a device driver for it. The pseudo-device provides a “backdoor” for gaining root access for a particular user. Instead of compiling the device driver into the kernel, delegate will create a module.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nyjilgeorge1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Privileges like root

My English is no very good. I must make a bash scripting sh create like a backdoor, and when execute the script a user without privileges convert in super user or root, whithout introducing the password. In Spanish: Crear un script que sirva como puerta trasera al sistema, de manera que al... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kitievbr
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

User with root privileges in hp ux

hi, i am new in hp ux and i must create a user with root privileges and so i disable ssh connection from root login. thanks.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliste
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you gain root privileges if the suid program does not belong to root?

I had a question in my test which asked where suppose user B has a program with 's' bit set. Can user A run this program and gain root privileges in any way? I suppose not as the suid program run with privileges of owner and this program will run with B's privileges and not root. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

10. Infrastructure Monitoring

Monitoring tools that do NOT require root privileges

Hi guys, I am currently managing an application running on around 150 servers. I only have application usage rights on those servers and do not have any root privileges. I have an external node that can connect to those servers and I have root privileges on that one box. I want to setup... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies
lgroupmod(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      lgroupmod(8)

NAME
lgroupmod - Modify an user group SYNOPSIS
lgroupmod [OPTION]... group DESCRIPTION
Modifies the user group with name group. OPTIONS
-A, --admin-add=list Add users in comma-separated list among group's administrators. -a, --admin-remove=list Remove users in comma-separated list from group's administrators. Removing users that are not currently among group's administra- tors silently succeeds. -g, --gid=gid Change group's group ID to gid. -i, --interactive Ask all questions when connecting to the user database, even if default answers are set up in libuser configuration. -L, --lock Lock group. This prevents users from using the group password with newgrp(1) to become a member of group. -M, --member-add=list Add users in comma-separated list among group's members. -m, --member-remove=list Remove users in comma-separated list from group's members. Removing users that are not currently among group's members silently succeeds. -n, --name=name Rename group to name. -P, --plainpassword=password Set group's password to password. Note that the password can be viewed while running lgroupmod using tools such as ps(1). -p, --password=encrypted Set group's password to the password represented by the hash encrypted. Note that the hash can be viewed while running lgroupmod using tools such as ps(1). -U, --unlock Unlock group. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 on success, nonzero on error. libuser Jan 11 2005 lgroupmod(8)