Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Number of days in current month Post 302791405 by joeyg on Monday 8th of April 2013 01:14:50 PM
Old 04-08-2013
FAQ's

Have you looked at:
https://www.unix.com/answers-frequent...rithmetic.html

Also, there is a specific forum for homework. Further homework questions are to be posted there.

Last edited by joeyg; 04-08-2013 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Homework

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calc number of days in a month

Looking for some help on capturing the number of days in a month to set as a loop counter. Any ideas, please let me know. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flounder
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate the number of days left in a month

does any one have any ideas how i would go about calculating the number of days left in the month from a bash script ?. I want to do some operations on a csv file according to the result (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunryc
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning number of days in the month to a variable

I am writing a script that requires the number of days in any given month. In the shell, I can use the command: cal `date +%m` `date +%Y`| grep -v '' | wc -w to give me the number of days in the month, but when I assign it to a variable: VAR=`cal `date +%m` `date +%Y`| grep -v '' | wc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skaptakalian
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh

Hi folks month=`date +%m`gives current month Howto print previous month (current month minus 1) with Solaris date and ksh (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of days in the previous month

Hi all. I am scripting in a POSIX shell on HPUX. I am running a script that needs to determine the number of days in a month. I found this on the forum and it works great: X=`cal $(date +%m) $(date +%Y) | grep -v '' | wc -w` The issue is that I am running the script on the 7th day of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyoncc
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of days in month from certain parameters

Hi, I have an issue in date processing, the issue is I have a month as an int ( 1 - 12 ), the weekday as int ( 0 - 6 , 0 = Sunday), and the week day in month as int ( 0 - 5, 5 = last ex: first sunday, last monday, third tuesday ... ), now from those three parameters is there a possible way to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: modn3
5 Replies

7. Programming

Number of days in month from certain parameters, c programming request.

Hi, I have an issue in date processing, the issue is I have a month as an int ( 1 - 12 ), the weekday as int ( 0 - 6 , 0 = Sunday), and the week day in month as int ( 0 - 5, 5 = last ex: first sunday, last monday, third tuesday ... ), now from those three parameters is there a possible way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: modn3
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

display number of days in current month

hi all searched google and here, cant find and am begining to suspect there is no options for this. shell = born with either the date or cal command I need to display the number of days in current month. can anyone point me in the right direction? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rontopia
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Find number of days in a month in mmddyyyy format?

Hi Guru's, I am working on a shell script from past a month and unable to get rid of automating while working with dates,here's what i have. inital_date=11012011 final_date=11302011 expected_output= has to be in below format PFB 11012011 11022011 11032011 * * * 11102011 * *... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gaurav198
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Subtracting number of days from current date

Hi All, I am using KSH shell and need to subtract n number of days from the current date .. kindly suggest ! Thanks in advance!:) (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
20 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal, ncal -- displays a calendar and the date of Easter SYNOPSIS
cal [-3hjy] [-A number] [-B number] [[month] year] cal [-3hj] [-A number] [-B number] -m month [year] ncal [-3hjJpwy] [-A number] [-B number] [-s country_code] [[month] year] ncal [-3hJeo] [-A number] [-B number] [year] ncal [-CN] [-H yyyy-mm-dd] [-d yyyy-mm] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility displays a simple calendar in traditional format and ncal offers an alternative layout, more options and the date of Easter. The new format is a little cramped but it makes a year fit on a 25x80 terminal. If arguments are not specified, the current month is dis- played. The options are as follows: -h Turns off highlighting of today. -J Display Julian Calendar, if combined with the -e option, display date of Easter according to the Julian Calendar. -e Display date of Easter (for western churches). -j Display Julian days (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -m month Display the specified month. If month is specified as a decimal number, it may be followed by the letter 'f' or 'p' to indicate the following or preceding month of that number, respectively. -o Display date of Orthodox Easter (Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches). -p Print the country codes and switching days from Julian to Gregorian Calendar as they are assumed by ncal. The country code as deter- mined from the local environment is marked with an asterisk. -s country_code Assume the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendar at the date associated with the country_code. If not specified, ncal tries to guess the switch date from the local environment or falls back to September 2, 1752. This was when Great Britain and her colonies switched to the Gregorian Calendar. -w Print the number of the week below each week column. -y Display a calendar for the specified year. -3 Display the previous, current and next month surrounding today. -A number Display the number of months after the current month. -B number Display the number of months before the current month. -C Switch to cal mode. -N Switch to ncal mode. -d yyyy-mm Use yyyy-mm as the current date (for debugging of date selection). -H yyyy-mm-dd Use yyyy-mm-dd as the current date (for debugging of highlighting). A single parameter specifies the year (1-9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calendar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month and year; the month is either a number between 1 and 12, or a full or abbreviated name as speci- fied by the current locale. Month and year default to those of the current system clock and time zone (so ``cal -m 8'' will display a calen- dar for the month of August in the current year). Not all options can be used together. For example ``-3 -A 2 -B 3 -y -m 7'' would mean: show me the three months around the seventh month, three before that, two after that and the whole year. ncal will warn about these combinations. A year starts on January 1. Highlighting of dates is disabled if stdout is not a tty. SEE ALSO
calendar(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 5 AT&T UNIX. The ncal command appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.6. AUTHORS
The ncal command and manual were written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The assignment of Julian-Gregorian switching dates to country codes is historically naive for many countries. Not all options are compatible and using them in different orders will give varying results. BSD
March 14, 2009 BSD