Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Checking files in remote server and decide to copy file or not Post 302791213 by bakunin on Monday 8th of April 2013 06:44:03 AM
Old 04-08-2013
The thread spacebar pinted you to is a good one. I suggest you study it. Just a final observation on your code:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezy
Code:
while read $server
do
if ssh $server "cd $directory_name; if [ -r $file2copy ]; then echo "Error: File $file2copy already exists, stop copying..exit"; fi"
 else scp -r $file2copy $server:~/$directory_name
 echo " file copied"
done

This should not work at all because it contains a syntax error. I have indented it to make it more obvious:

Code:
while read $server ; do
     if ssh $server "<cmd>"
     else scp -r $file2copy $server:~/$directory_name
     echo " file copied"
done

The "if" is nowhere closed by a "fi" and the mandatory "then" is missing too. In addition:

Code:
"cd $directory_name; if [ -r $file2copy ]; then echo "Error: File $file2copy already exists, stop copying..exit"; fi"

This should not work because double quotes can't be nested.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a file on remote server

I have ssh keys setup and running properly between two servers. I have a Korn shell script that is logging into the remote server and needs to backup the authorized_keys and/or authorized_keys2 files. The following syntax works perfectly ------------------------------------- ssh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunsysadm2003
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Checking a file on a remote windows server

Hi Everyone! This is what I need to do... I am deploying some directories over to a windows server 2000/3 box from my solaris10 box and I need to make sure the directories exist. The only form of connection I have to work with is SSH Currently, my script deploys the directories over... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy files from remote server (B) to target server (A)?

Hi All, what is the comand to log off the remote server? I have 2 servers A, B. I need to find all files older than 7 days on server B and copy over to server A. My logic is: login the remote server: ================= ssh hostB cd /data/test find . -mtime -7 -ls | awk '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginer0705
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy the latest file in the remote server's directory

Hi Expert Team, I performed the below piece of code to copy the latest file in the remote server's directory to the same server's other directory. But it is not working properly. How can i handle this? Can you please help me..? ssh ${REMOTE_USERID}@${REMOTE_HOSTNAME} "cp -p `ssh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spkandy
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files from remote server

Hi Friends, Could you please help me as per my requirement mentioned below ? I have to copy files from one unix server to another unix server, and the files that i need to copy from the remote server are only those which are modified/created Today from abc directory on the remote server (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramask
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the file in remote server using SFTP

Hello, I would appreciate if any one can help me on this. The below script start running at 12:30AM. Every 5 min, i go and check the remote site. If i see filewatch.txt over there, then i need to call another shell script and load the data into database. If i don't see that file, then i have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I copy files on remote server with ftp ?

I just realize the only way is to download and upload again.. is not possible to copy them remotely with the ftp protocol ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to copy a file from remote server and preserve timestamp

Hi How to copy a file from remote server and preserve timestamp. Please not, i have to pass username and password to connect to the remote server in the shell script. Can this be achieved with simple ftp ? are there any options in ftp ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skumar75
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy down remote files and rename them to include the server name with full path

I need to pull down a good bit of files for another support team for an upgrade project. I have a server.list with all of the server names. I need to do two parts: FIRST: I have this example, but it does not list the server name in front of each line. #! /bin/bash for server in $(<... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnatlas
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy files from remote server to local?

Hi experts, I 'm newbie to unix world, now I have task to copy the latest files from remote server to my local. I believe this must be very common request in this community. I want you do it one more time for me please. My requirement is something like this: I receive files in the below... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parpaa
3 Replies
rpdump(1)						      General Commands Manual							 rpdump(1)

NAME
rpdump - alpine remote data utility SYNTAX
rpdump [ -f ] -l Local_file -r Remote_folder DESCRIPTION
Rpdump may be used to copy the actual data from remote Alpine configuration files or address books into a local file. It is intended to be used by system administrators. Regular users should normally use the facilities provided within Alpine. Local_file will normally be a local temporary file. Remote_folder is the IMAP folder being used as a remote Alpine configuration (with the help of Alpine's -P, -p, and -x commands or PINECONF, PINERC, and PINERCEX environment variables) or remote Alpine address book folder. A copy of the data from Remote_folder will be copied to Local_file. -f Force the dump even if the remote folder is in an unrecognized format. -l Local_file The file on this system that is to be copied to. -r Remote_folder A remote folder name to be copied from. See the Alpine documentation for the syntax of a remote folder name. One example is {my.imap.server}remote_pinerc. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is zero if all goes well, -1 otherwise. SEE ALSO
Rpload(1). Copyright 1989-2007 by the University of Washington. $Date: 2005/01/14 20:40:14 $ rpdump(1)